The State of Blu-ray

Looks like the PS3 firmware update does not upgrade to profile 1.1. Software update still needed.
How can that be?
They should've talked to JoeSp - his PS3 is profile 1.1 compliant for a while... No software needed...:p

BTW, BDA changed the naming convention again - just in time to claim this is something new. Profile 1.1 is now called/branded Bonus View...:)
AVS Forum - View Single Post - Format Battle General Discussion Thread III: Discuss it here!

Diogen.

EDIT: And the bolded is the most interesting part (if true):
Speaking of firmware, we had our hopes pegged on the PS3's 2.00 software update for adding 1.1 capability, but just this AM, we were sorely disappointed. Nevertheless, word on the street is that the PS3 still just needs a software update to activate 1.1. The current lineup of Sony Blu-ray players, on the other hand, can never reach it, with or without firmware update
No Bonus View for you! :)

Last edited:
Gee, I guess the BDA isn't very good at sticking to specs and standards -

On November 1, 2007, the Grace Period Profile was superseded by "Bonus View" as the minimum profile for new players released to the market.

The new version of the PS3 will come with a 40-gigabyte hard drive and go on sale on November 2.

Looks like the PS3 firmware update does not upgrade to profile 1.1. Software update still needed.

What a shocker! :rolleyes:

How can that be?
They should've talked to JoeSp - his PS3 is profile 1.1 compliant for a while... No software needed...:p

BTW, BDA changed the naming convention again - just in time to claim this is something new. Profile 1.1 is now called/branded Bonus View...:)
AVS Forum - View Single Post - Format Battle General Discussion Thread III: Discuss it here!

Diogen.

EDIT: And the bolded is the most interesting part (if true):

No Bonus View for you! :)

What I have said is that all the hardware is there and the PS3 already does most of what 1.1 does. Only the PIP is missing -- but the rest is still there and apparently working. This might explain why we did not get the XMB in the game as originally promised. This would have the XMB working like PIP and if that starts working I would say the PS3 is meeting the final 1.1 spec. If I were a betting man (Dr Peppers guys) I would bet that we will see that update before XMAS. Of course I might buy a dedicated player before then -- the new Panny BD30 sure does look good.

I like how they named the firmware version 2.0 so that people would confuse it with profile 2.0. :rolleyes:

What I have said is that all the hardware is there and the PS3 already does most of what 1.1 does.
No, you haven't.
The PS3 is already doing what 1.1 is asking of the other players.
...The only question about the PS3 is if and/or when Sony will allow DTS-HD Master decoding by the PS3.
I think this famous expression needs a revision:
"There are lies, damn lies, statistics and JoeSp's posts".

Diogen.

Diogen -- (deleted comment - too personal and not sure it was appropriate)

The PS3 already has ethernet connection. The PS3 already does 2 audio feeds at the same time. The PS3 already handles Java enabled menus, and Java enabled features on the disc. The PS3 is the only BD player that came out a year ago that has two video decoders and they both do work at the same time. Interactive Live PIP is currently the only thing that the PS3 is not doing -- and live (moving pictures for you Diogen) is the only thing the PS3 is currently not doing --get it. And on the BD movie The Guardian while the PIP was not live (just a picture) while the movie played in the background the PIP was interactive -- you chose which question to ask and according to the scene you got an answer. And the movie continued to play in the backgound and you could hear both the movie and the comments.

Now, live PIP is all that is required for the PS3 to fulfill complete compliance with BDJava 1.1. And as I said my guess is that it is tied to IN-GAME-XMB. That was supposed to show up in the 2.0 update. It did not.

After saying that, there is no BDjava active content on any BD movie that has been released to date that has not played on the PS3. When I receive my CARS and Ratatouie I will post how the 1.1 features on those discs work or do not work on the PS3.

You know, I don't talk out of the side of my mouth. I don't make comments about what a HD-DVD player can and cannot do because I do not own one. I have actually asked questions of HD-DVD owners to find out what their players do and do not do. And we all know that you do not own a PS3. All anyone has to do is read your troll comments about the PS3. But don't let that stop you from flapping your gums, Diogen. By all means -- flap away!

I like how they named the firmware version 2.0 so that people would confuse it with profile 2.0. :rolleyes:

Vurbano, there were several things that did not show up in 2.0. First and formost was the In-Game-XMB. I think that this is tied to meeting the PIP requirements in Java 1.1 and it makes sense. The both basically do the same thing.

And that brings up the next missing item -- completing Java profile 1.1. Most of us thought that this would be in 2.0 because of the requirement of BD players sold after Oct 31st having to meet that profile. Well besides live video in the PIP the PS3 is currently doing most of the requirements of 1.1. Being able to access the internet is a BDLive 2.0 feature and I really don't see this happening till the 2nd quarter of next year. See as you an play a game and download at the same time and the IN-GAME-XMB is supposed to give you internet access within the game (this is aside from the on-line features of the game) I don't see much differance between this and allowing the same while playing a BD movie. Won't know until these features are enabled.

But the one item most of us were hoping for was DTS HD Master decoding from the PS3. I stopped hoping for this to happen on 2.0 because of DTS themselves coming out and saying that they were working closely with Sony to get the PS3 to decode DTS Master HD by March 08.

I think that the real reason BD fans are disappointed is because Mr. Sony America - Phil Harrison already stated that there would be a download to enhance BD playback on the PS3 very soon. I probably fell into the same group of people who believed that this would be included in 2.0. I am wrong with everybody else. I just hope it shows up before XMAS or I may pull the plug on the new Panny BD30 -- is fully 1.1 compliant and passes all audio codecs including DolbyTrueHD and DTSMasterHD by bitstream to a receiver capable of decodeing. That would definately make my investment in the ONKYO move valuable.

Diogen -- (deleted comment - too personal and not sure it was appropriate)...
Joe, you know what your problem is? Not your "childhood", not your "family" (as you "shrinked" about me), but your personal?
You make every effort to climb into a bottle when everybody around finds it amuzing at best and more often - plain stupid.
As soon as you arrive there, you are pissed mad that not everybody is in awe of your achievement. And the rhetoric starts!!

Rinse and repeat...

[Skipping the BS about what you think Bonus View means and how it relates to PS3].
You know, I don't talk out of the side of my mouth.
I do. You talk out of another orifice of your body. No news here.
And we all know that you do not own a PS3. All anyone has to do is read your troll comments about the PS3.
Chernishevsky once said: " To figure out that an apple is rotten, there is no need to actually eat it".
I'll translate it for you: "To figure out what you say about PS3 is crap, no need to own one."
But don't let that stop you from flapping your gums, Diogen. By all means -- flap away!
Thank you. I'll do my best not to disappoint you. :)

Diogen.

The PS3 is crap? I don't think so, come next year PS3 has strong titles coming out for the system, they are going to be huge.
I honestly like the PS3 menu and the XMB its great, no problems encountered during online play.
You should own one before you bring a console down.
I personally don't go to every single 360/HD-DVD threads and bash the console/player down like you do to the PS3/BD, its like you got some kinda personal vendetta.

The PS3 is crap?
Where did I say that?
Joe's statements about PS3's abilities are crap most of the time, that I did say.
You guys would really enjoy Diogen more on the ignore list, Im telling ya.
Since you mentioned my name for the second time in 10 hours, I thought I'd respond.
Before you start advising people what to do, maybe you should explain how you yo-yo from
BDA needs to HAMMER some racking nails in the coffin.
I mean lets face it, most know BD is the superior format, so why the rack are we waiting.

...I say lets nail the mothers to the WALL.
to being neutral within less than a week? What will you do next week?
Insiders Thread - Page 252 - Blu-ray Forum

And those posts were censored! Pro-BD posts censored on br.com!!

Would you like me to quote the original? (Don't worry, this was a rhetorical question.)

Diogen.

Diogen,

Im assuming your reply was to me since I mentioned your name. Just a little hint, I wouldnt bother because I cant see your posts.

I do have to wonder why a guy who doesn't post in the satellite forums is on a satellite website worried with BD/HDDVD?? AVS not fun enough for you?

And then this same guy who is obviously anti BD spends half his time in BD forums(on a satellite website). HMMMMMM.

Always looking for arguments maybe? One of those guys who is just a replier and a criticizer? Most likely.

Before I ignored you I could see you never added anything positive to a conversation if you were against it, you just offered smart ass comments and criticisms. Judging from Joe's posts I can see that nothing has changed.

Good day.