The state of your team(s)

SandraC

On Vacation
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Seven Jets named to the Pro Bowl. What a joke. Was Mangini also named coach of the year yesterday?

My baseball team crashed and burned over the summer, but people who are Met fans and Jet fans (a very common combination in NY) must be feeling like they've seen this movie before...

Sandra

SandraC

On Vacation
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Here is a brutally honest look at where my teams stand as we prepare to make the turn to 2009:

New York Rangers - Quite possibly the worst 20-11-2 team in the history of professional sports. That record has been built on fabulous goaltending and shootout victories. When we've been tested in real games, we've been thoroughly embarassed recently by Montreal, Vancouver, and New Jersey. Our fabulous goalie was unfabulous during those games, but it was really our defense that let us down. Our defense is slow, and some of them play like they've just been given ridiculously large contracts recently and don't have to try anymore. Oh wait, they have.

I'm starting to turn on the Edmonton Genius again. This three game road trip could bury us. If I were a betting young lady, I'd bet we're going to struggle to make the playoffs.

Sandra

This is evolving into one of the crazy sports stories of the year. After I posted this earlier in the week, the Rangers headed for the west coast. They defeated the Ducks two nights ago in Anaheim 3-1, and won in LA last night in OT.

They played energetic hockey against the Ducks, but were helped by the fact that while in attendance JS Guiguere didn't play, perhaps because his father had just unfortunately passed away. The backup goalie (I don't even remember his name) let in two very questionable goals.

Last night against the Kings they played terrible hockey for about 50 of the 60 minutes. Valliquette played to give Hank a rest, and played pretty well. The Kings regular goalie, Edson or something, is hurt so Jason Larbarbera played...horribly. He let in a particularly brutal goal when the Kings were up 1-0 and dominating the first.

So now my team is 22-11-2...and I'm here to tell you they are a bad hockey team. Saturday night in San Jose could get very ugly. Like 10-1 ugly. Unless San Jose starts their backup and he plays terribly as well. Actually, Brian Boucher is something like 8-1 with a GAA under two, so that's not likely.

I still say despite this head start the Rangers will be fighting for their playoff lives come April. Write it down. In ink.

Sandra

eastside

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 25, 2007
Western PA
OK....count me in. :) Overall, right now I'm not happy. But, since the one team that is my passion here did okay last season, I'm okay. :)

St. Louis Cardinals - Another decent season for my favorite team, especially considering that local doctors probably made nine figures off Cardinal injuries throughout the year. We won 86 games without a real #1 pitcher. (Ironically, just two years ago, we won three fewer games - and won the NL Central. Chalk it up to Milwaukee and Chicago laying out serious scratch to upgrade.)

Because there's never a lot of money, there's a lot hanging on the health of Chris Carpenter and Albert Pujols. Pujols' recuperation from elbow surgery seems to be going well, thankfully, but we may never get Carpenter back - and that would be horrible. Bottom line: if we can't spend enough (or have enough MLB-ready talent in Louisville) to keep up with Chicago and Milwaukee, we won't win the division for a while.

St. Louis Rams - *sigh* It seems like yesterday that I was celebrating in Kiener Plaza shortly after Mike Jones stopped the Titans' last drive in Super Bowl XXXIV. Though I'm always loyal to my hometown team, I'll never understand why Kurt Warner was rushed back from a thumb injury, or why he was given the bum's rush out of town by the team. As he's showing this year, there's still plenty left in that arm.

St. Louis Blues - Performing up (down?) to expectations. Translation: In a league where 99.999% of all teams make the playoffs, they'll find their way into the other 0.001%. St. Louis really isn't much of a hockey town, but I'm hoping I'll get to see at least one Stanley Cup parade there before I die.

Chicago Bulls - Still trying to find their way out of the wilderness. They've changed players, coaches and GMs. Could be that a change of ownership is needed next.

Illinois Fighting Illini (CFB) - A real disappointment this season. Losing Rashard Mendenhall to the NFL was tough, but hardly unexpected after the junior season he put up. Besides, Daniel Dufresne is certainly a very good RB. The real problem, IMO, is that Ron Zook keeps trying to make Juice Williams more of a passer. Williams will never be a great drop-back passer, but he should definitely be a dominant college player. This was a season that didn't have to get away, but it did. To miss the bowls after making the BCS a year ago doesn't speak well of...well...anything in Champaign. Zook will be on the hot seat if he turns in another season like this one in '09.

Illinois Fighting Illini (CBB) - Bruce Weber is, in terms of X's and O's, one of the five best coaches in college basketball. No kidding - this guy is the MacGyver of college coaches. Give him some big-time talent (2005 - Deron Williams, Dee Brown, Luther Head), and he can beat just about anybody.

And therein lies the rub with Coach Weber. The man simply cannot recruit worth a damn. Admittedly, as an Illinois graduate, I can attest that recruiting to the Land of Corn is not easy. But Illinois is a major university, with a great deal to offer, and I can't believe the school didn't follow up on its 2004-2005 season by aggressively recruiting players who fit the style Illinois played that season. Or maybe they did, and they just weren't successful. Either way, the cupboard has been bare since Brown left after the 2005-06 season. Weber's coaching ability (which has been on display his entire career) will keep him around, but he needs a couple of marquee guys. He doesn't need 12 McD AA's to win - but having one or two around would be nice.

Pittsburgh Steelers - No, I'm not *from* Pittsburgh. But I live here now. :) I wouldn't call myself a rabid Steelers fan, but I've always loved good defense (I grew up rooting for the Bears after the NFL Cardinals flew south to Arizona). The Pittsburgh defense this year is especially ferocious. Good thing, too, because the offense has at times been utterly unwatchable. Of course, the team inherited the #1 schedule in the league this year (based on 2007-08 performance). A particularly good sign is in the losses - very close games against Indianapolis, Philadelphia and NY Giants - three teams that are, at worst, VERY likely to make the playoffs this year.

As good as the defense is, though, the offensive line has to keep blocking for Roethlisberger. I've become a BBB (Big Ben Believer) over the last few years. I like how he never gives up on a play, even with some 6-7, 290-lb behemoth dragging him down by his ankles. Sure, he sometimes makes big mistakes, but he's become a very clutch player. Last week's game against Baltimore was a great example. How many quarterbacks throw for seven first downs and go 92 yards in three minutes against that defense? (Hint: among active guys, I'd like Manning, Brady and Roethlisberger. That's it.)

SandraC

On Vacation
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
St. Louis Blues - Performing up (down?) to expectations. Translation: In a league where 99.999% of all teams make the playoffs, they'll find their way into the other 0.001%. St. Louis really isn't much of a hockey town, but I'm hoping I'll get to see at least one Stanley Cup parade there before I die.

16 teams out of 30 make the playoffs in the NHL, 53%. Same as the NBA. My team missed it seven straight years, so I'm an expert at that stat.

Sandra

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Detroit Lions What else to say other then they must go 0-16

Detroit Pistons Over 500, will have good nights and bad. Trade or no Trade they were not in a position to win the title, with cap room will be an intresting off season.

Red Wings For about the past 10-15 years, what a great run it has been, the theme is "Its what we do in the playoffs"
We take them for granted as every year you can say they have a shot for the cup, cant say that with to many professional teams!!

Tigers Very disapointing last year, looks like they are focusing on small moves for defense. Though a horrrible move raising ticket prices in this economy for a team that had playoff aspirations, drew Three Million and finished in last place team!

Michigan Basketball
A nice start in what has seemed like a 15 year punsihment. Making the big dance would be a successfull season, take care games they should win in the Big Ten and to the dance we would go. As the tournament has a lonely feeling when you team is not in it.

SandraC

On Vacation
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
I was sure the "99.999%" would be taken as snark. I suppose I'll have to spell that out next time.

I was snarking you back by making fun of my team's inability to make the playoffs for seven straight years. Next time I'll spell it out...:)

Sandra

eastside

Oct 25, 2007
Western PA
Michigan Basketball A nice start in what has seemed like a 15 year punsihment. Making the big dance would be a successfull season, take care games they should win in the Big Ten and to the dance we would go. As the tournament has a lonely feeling when you team is not in it.

Beilein's a good coach, isn't he? Your boys do look decent, and they have a couple of very nice pre-conference upsets. Those quality wins alone might get them in the tournament, even if they go 9-9 in conference (and I'd expect they'd get to 10 wins, which usually guarantees a Big 10 team a bid).

eastside

Oct 25, 2007
Western PA
I was snarking you back by making fun of my team's inability to make the playoffs for seven straight years. Next time I'll spell it out...:)

That would be appreciated, as "snark" is generally used to denote a snide, sarcastic remark (which is often intentionally exaggerated for the purpose of underlining a general point). I am unclear exactly where you used that device.

mccoyrj

SatelliteGuys Master
Aug 27, 2007
Southwest Ohio
LSU Football

From this:
LSU-Les-Miles-BCS.jpg

To this:

f_chickfilafam_787f846.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)