The Thread For Those Cities Without All BIG 4 in HD

codton

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Waterford, CT
According to my research, here is the list of cities with HD LiL that do not have all of the BIG 4 active.

Missing FOX (6)
Anchorage, AK
Hartford, CT
Jackson, MS
Portland, ME
Sacramento, CA
Seattle, WA

Missing NBC (4)
Anchorage, AK
Flint, MI
Mobile, AL
San Antonio, TX

Missing ABC (3)
Anchorage, AK
Huntsville, AL
Salt Lake City, UT

Missing CBS (2)
Milwaukee, WI
West Palm Beach, FL

There are 13 cities listed here (Anchorage appears three times). Now I realize that each city probably has a different reason for not having that affiliate, but I hope DISH realizes that this only makes us 75% happy.

If my information is inaccurate, then please post the correct info.

If you have no HD LiL yet, then you have my sympathy (I just got mine yesterday). C'mon DISH, step up to the plate and finish the job in these cities!:)

Last edited:
No HD LiL in Tucson, AZ. D* got it last year :(

Tucson is larger than a lot of the cities that are getting it now. Not sure the logic.

I live in the Chico/Redding CA market and also do not have HD LiL. When I look at the schedule of upcoming cities to receive HD it seems they are all in the eastern half of the US. We will hopefully see DISH coming our way soon.

It's correct that Milwaukee doesn't have CBS HD on "E", but "D" doesn't have it either. I would guess that it's the local CBS station that is the problem and not "D" or "E".

I don't even have HD OTA except on CBS and PBS in SE Kansas... Tulsa, KC and Fayettville, Ark have all four, but not us... Too small of market I guess. The other 3 do have digital signals, but not in HD.

Somewhere I saw a list of upcoming cities over the next few months. does anyone remember where that is?

I am getting an HD TV this weekend and currently have Dish. They do not have locals in my area (Paducah, KY) but DirecTV does. I'm thinking about switching because of that, but if they will get me running in the next 6 months I may wait. What to do, what to do.....

WDJT isn't even available in HD on DirecTV...must be some big contract issues. I think they want dish to add the MeTV channel in addition to CBS HD in the Milwaukee market.

The jackson, MS fox affiliate has always been problematic about cable, and sattelite carriage. they were the last to give the go ahead to the local cable cable company(at the time it was capitol cablevision, was bought out by time warner, and is now comcast). when the government said the cable providers had to pay for the signal, and they were the last to allow the sattelite providers to carry them. stubborn, greedy, or just being jerks, pick one and you will probably be right.

Some of these were Clear Channel owned stations including WOAI in San Antonio. These have just recently changed ownership to Newport LLC. Hopefully, with new ownership some of these will become available. We have had HD locals in San Antonio for 2 years now and I have still been waiting and using OTA for 1 channel. I do know that DirectTv has WOAI in HD as well as our local cable company Time Warner.

Moving to where?

I thought most of the CONUS cities will soon be spot beam.

Maybe an adjacent spot beam with the big 4 in HD is possible but not for all.

I am fortunate that I can get my locals in HD or digital + sub channelsl OTA. I am getting the 61.5 wing dish so I can record 2 HD network stations at the same time with my Vip 722. I will still be missing ABC HD because they are still not available in the Huntsville DMA I live in.

Hopefully WAAY-HD ABC and WHDF-DT CW will be added soon.

lowdown

Doesn't 148 have HD locals for AK?

129 and 118.7 is CONUS. And the 61.5 spotbeams are bigger than you think.

Even if my own DMA had HD locals on satellite I still wouldn't "live" there.