The True HD era has come to an end and the HD Lite era will continue!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dish can easily squeeze 3 HD Movie channels per 8PSK transponder, with telecine flags they do not require as much bandwidth, 12/13 Mbps on Movie channels is pretty good, considering 5/6 Voom's will be movie channels, they should put 2 transponders for the 6 or so movie channels and then put the others at 2 per transponder with 17.5 Mbps video(HD Video content, not movies)

all 1920x1080i

do they have the room for this at 129?? 9 or so transponders

-Gary

Thanks Gary, can you please add to your page the last time and date the page was updated, this will help folks know they are looking at accurate information.

And looking at the list now if channels like HD Net, DIscovery HD and CBS can be delivered at 1920 x 1080 then why can't VOOM. Something does not add up here.

Well, let's see what happens. They are asking for feedback, hopefully they will fix it and bring the rest of the Voom channels at 1920x1080i.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Folks keep emailing Dish, I believe we can get Dish to change its stance on the issue at hand, KEEP EMAILING THEM.

We are 30,000 strong and we have a huge voice, remember Dish Network is getting ready to announce the additional VOOM channels are being added to the lineup at CES, all's it takes is a few SatelliteGuys members to talk to the press at Dish Networks press conference and inform them whats going on and we could give Dish a black eye.

I see the other forum is saying the reason for the change is due to the Dish 6000, which while not knowing the technical details sounds to me like complete and utter Bullsh!t and it also sounds like they are once again trying to kiss the corporate ass of Dish Network. It is my thought that if the Dish 6000 could not handle 1920 x 1080 High Defition that Dish would have stopped using 1920 x 1080 a long time ago.

Even folks I have talked to from VOOM have said they want to have DIsh broadcast at 1920 x 1080 but Dish wanted it at the lower resolution.

If anyone has the technology I would like to see a list of resolution and bandwidth dedicated to each HD channel aired on Dish Network.

Let's stick together folks, we CAN make a difference.

People blaming the 6000 for the lack of full voom 1080i are full of crap. There was a problem with the 6000 when they initially turned on the voom 10. It would display wierd black bars when outputting the 1280x1080i channels at 720p to a 720p display. Switching the unit to 1080i output worked fine, and then the next software release for the 6000 (8.26 i believe) fixed this problem. NOTE, it was a problem with the 6000 displaying the 1280 channels! I remember RAVE was messed up initially, but Ultra wasn't. So, if anything, the 6000 handled pure 108i PERFECT. It was Dish's subpar crappy quality 1280x1080i transmission that the 6000 couldn't handle initially.

The 6000 is one of Dish's best HD boxes. I know there arent many out there anymore, but people with them know they are solid. They also get about $250-350 on ebay still!

I posted this in another thread:

I got a little comparison for your naysayers about 1280x1080i being ok

5 months ago I recorded one of my All Time favorite movies from MonstersHD "The Wicker Man"

This recording was 1920x1080i with 17 Mbps video

Just this evening I recorded a sample of "The Wicker Man", of course after these changes MonstersHD is now: 1280x1080i with 14.5 Mbps video

both frames from each recording were captured full resolution, I them zoomed in 200% on a specific area of the picture to show the difference, here is a picture of the entire frame for reference:

wickerframe.jpg

Here are the comaprison shots of each portion of the respective frames, see if you see a difference

wicker1280.bmp

wicker1920.bmp

this is comapring 1280x1080 to True 1920x1080i, the difference is not slight and is even worse on non-Movie material

-Gary

The thing about HD is that it is something people are paying more particular attention to the quality of the picture than the SD channels. People put out a bit of money to get those HD stations to get a better picture quality. It concerns people when the quality of their picture drops a bit as they did.

They have finally responded to my multiple emails with the same message as you gents received.

Man, I hope they get the picture to full Hi Def resolution. I really don't want to change satellite services again.

Here is a thank you to all of you heavy hitters in here. Your technological knowledge is invaluable!!!

BFG said:
Well when the voom channels were on voom they were "HD-Lite" with only being 1440x1080i. If dish went from 1280 to 1440 would that make you happy ;)

Is this true? If so then there wont be a significant diference in pq between what voom offered and what the new standard dish will offer. It looks like the problem that plagues all providers with being able to offer all programing in hd wont be solved with mpeg4 until someone either reworks it or finds a much better compression.

If you really want to make dish pay atention then it would be an idea to get a petition out there, this site has 27,000 members and Im sure that most live in majour urban area's wich would also have a heavier population of dishnetwork hd customers.

They don't know left from right either.

I dropped them too. I am now with Direct TV and their Wonderful real Latino Packages with real Latin American TV stations. From Tierra del Fuego all the way up to Montezuma Land. To include a couple of Caribbean Islands.
Dish network VP for programing a so call Hispanic Jew has his head all the way up his 4th point of contact. There is the reason why they are loosing lots of Latino Customers. To give them the shot of grace. They do not even carry AzTeca America TV. Go figure!!! :hatsoff:

PS. I hope they stop calling. LIKE HELL I am coming Back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:
I see the other forum is saying the reason for the change is due to the Dish 6000, which while not knowing the technical details sounds to me like complete and utter Bullsh!t and it also sounds like they are once again trying to kiss the corporate ass of Dish Network. It is my thought that if the Dish 6000 could not handle 1920 x 1080 High Defition that Dish would have stopped using 1920 x 1080 a long time ago.

The reason the 6000 was brought up (at least by me) was because when voom was first uplinked we asked why the channels that were 3 to a TP were 1280 and the answer we got (I beleive from a voom contact Sean has) is that dish network is the one's that said their 6000 model wouldn't handle that. Then we all pointed out that this is BS because of the transponder at 110. I never agreed with or beleived that the 6000 was really the reason and is why I've been seeking a true answer as to why those voom channels 3 to a tP have to be at 1280 (when most of us believe that they don't have to be, because of the 100 tp)

Just got an email back from E* regarding my VOOM Inquiry...Looks like I got a little bit different reply (note the bold sentence):
Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.
We have received numerous complaints on the VOOM HD package. We would like to thank you for pointing out this information. We have confirmed and are aware of picture quality issues on several of the VOOM channels. Our engineering staff is working towards a resolution. This may take some time to troubleshoot and finalize.
The issue of HD picture quality is always a difficult one. Some of our HD customers want more programming while others want better quality. In general, DISH Network provides HD content in whatever format we receive from the providers. You can rest assured that DISH Network is listening to you. We are constantly striving to provide you with the best A/V quality and variety of programming. With fast changing HD technology, we ask that you be patient. We will continue to make efforts to raise the bar for our customers. We are going to try some changes tonight, could you please provide us with some feedback tomorrow as to whether you see picture improvement?
At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience, information, and for being a valued customer!

Maybe we've at least got them thinking.

They are reading each email it seems like but copying and pasting the same response and now with changes.

It's so hard to find a compromise between all the providers. Comcast never upgrades the packages or brings in new HD, D* charges to much for the equipment, and E* cuts more corners than most tax evaders. The only provider that I really liked was Voom and look what E* has reduced them to.

Voomers had to deal with Jimmy Dolan now Charlie Ergen. What's next?

Now that you call attention to it, mine also asks for feedback tomorrow.

And of course we are all getting approximately the same message. Dish is not going to write hundreds of different personal messages, all of which are answering the same question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)