The Tube

Status
Please reply by conversation.

N0QBH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Central MN
Just started watching The Tube again (AMC3 4036 MHz) after a couple month break and noticed the signal strength was noticeably lower than before. The other AMC3 transponders seem normal. Anyone else notice this??

Hi Iceman,
I've got a 7' Orbitron C/Ku setup. It's the one in my little picture.
I'd normally see TheTube at about 50% signal on my Fortec receiver.
Now it's in the 26%-40% range. Tried tweaking the dish mover both ways to peak it w/no joy. Like I said before, the other transponders and Ku stuff come in same as before. I know sometimes older sats have slowly dying transponders and I guess I'm wondering if that's the case here.

Maybe that trans will burn out and they will switch to ku band:D

I too have noticed The Tube's signal strength a little lower than the rest.
Right now on the Traxis 3500, It shows signal strength at 69 and signal quality
at 67, Using a 6.5 foot Orbitron dish,

FWIW I see TheTube signal strength is back in the solid reception range again.
Unfortunately, I also notice their format has changed to carrying some advertising as well as some non music video programming. At least it's not reality TV...yet.

In an effort to answer my own curiosity...
According to TheTube website THE TUBE MUSIC NETWORK, the FCC requires them to carry a minimum of 3 hours of children's programming per week.
They meet this requirement by carrying 3 hours of Wildlife Jams each Saturday morning.
The sky isn't falling after all :)

we use to have it on a subchannel of our WB affilaite at the time but got dropped due to a dispute (Sinclair is the owner...huh imagine that...Sinclair is in a dispute with someone)

Sinclair........they like to make waves :) Our local Sinclair is a CBS affiliate, and when they had their big ordeal last year with Mediacom, I could not believe Mediacom paid them to carry their crappy channel. Medicom should had told them to stuff it, and that CBS local would have died.

Sinclair........they like to make waves :) Our local Sinclair is a CBS affiliate, and when they had their big ordeal last year with Mediacom, I could not believe Mediacom paid them to carry their crappy channel. Medicom should had told them to stuff it, and that CBS local would have died.

and now they're fighting Mediacom in Iowa City because during that ordeal they added CBS from the Quad Cities (since it was significantly viewed in Iowa City) and now that KGAN is back they want Mediacom to drop the CBS from the Quad Cities
KGAN/2 (Cedar Rapids) has filed a cable special relief peition with the FCC, challenging whether Mediacom should be allowed to carry WHBF/4 (Rock Island-Quad Cities) on its Iowa City cable system. Both are CBS affiliates. Mediacom added WHBF to the system during a retransmission dispute with KGAN owner Sinclair Broadcasting earlier this year. Iowa City is in the Cedar Rapids market, but WHBF is listed as "significantly viewed" in Johnson County and FCC rules allow cable systems to carry "significantly viewed" stations even if they are out-of-market

(sorry for veering OT)

Interesting - anyway, the few times I have tuned to the Tube, it seemed alright :) Kinda like retro jams, but the Tube does not seem to repeat as much :)

I miss The Tube :( It was my favorite FTA channel when it used to be on G-10R. The music video offerings on The Tube were (are) far more diverse than Retrojams. Recently, I got a taste of The Tube when, while scanning OTA DTV one night, I got WLOX-DT from Biloxi, MS. Unfortunately, it was just atmospheric bounce (Biloxi is nearly 80 miles away), and I haven't picked them up again since. I should get working on that Paraclipse dish so that I can hit 87w with it :D

TheTube was available for me via digital antenna station as a subchannel of a FOX station, but at the start of the new year it went off the air. I now am receiving it via another digital station very sporatically from a station about 120miles away. I think I'm just lucky to get it so far away due to most of that distance being over water. Now and then I will record a couple of hours to have to watch. Their change to the new format with the comercials is a little bit of a dissapointment. Hopefully they will not go any farther as most stations have far too many comercials now. And, at least in Canada, the number of comercials will be increasing with the new regulations.

I miss The Tube :( It was my favorite FTA channel when it used to be on G-10R. The music video offerings on The Tube were (are) far more diverse than Retrojams. Recently, I got a taste of The Tube when, while scanning OTA DTV one night, I got WLOX-DT from Biloxi, MS. Unfortunately, it was just atmospheric bounce (Biloxi is nearly 80 miles away), and I haven't picked them up again since. I should get working on that Paraclipse dish so that I can hit 87w with it :D

I get WLOX here in Slidell with the UHF section of a RatShack VU-190. Katrina destroyed the VHF section, so I hacked the UHF section off with a hacksaw, Threw it up in the attic. I use a Cm4228 outside to get New Orleans, and the bastard antenna to get WLOX. I combined them with a 20 year old splitter I had laying around, fed it into my HR20, and it works flawlessly. :D

But I'd rather have it on C-Band. ;)

I was going to ask you if you were able to pick up WLOX, since you are about 35 miles closer to it than I am :) The night I picked it up, I also got WMAH-DT, the PBS station in Biloxi. Haven't seen either of them since, but I'm sure a nice Yagi about 30 feet up on a ham tower I found would solve the problem :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)