The Two City Dilema

birkoff

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I spend about $140 a month for Dish, programing, recorder. I recently purchased a second home in a different market (1000 miles to the south). What is the best way (cheaper) just to get a second receiver and duplicate the programing. Don't really need the locals cause there are good OTA signals.

Is there a program similar to the RV method, or do I have to buy a RV? : )

2 options

1) Free equipment free install, monthly bill

2) Pay $100 for receiver, Pay $100 for a Dish, pay $100 for install. Monthly bill $0. Take receiver from home to other home when you visit.

As long as you don't leave the other receiver there when you go back home, your not breaking any rules.

Dish wants you to believe you need a second account but you really don't need to.

Just take the receiver to the other home. This is not unlike taking a receiver into an RV. Just do not expect to have Disk Service at both locations live at the same time. That is a violation of the contract.

Just take the receiver to the other home. This is not unlike taking a receiver into an RV. Just do not expect to have Disk Service at both locations live at the same time. That is a violation of the contract.

Alternatively you could have two accounts and put the one at the house that is vacant on vacation hold. They charge $5 a month for vacation hold but it might be more convenient than moving the hopper.

I would just get a dish rv receiver and a normal dish and add it to your account for $7 a month. Then you don't have to carry the receiver back and forth. Dish has no way of knowing if the receiver is in an rv, house, or tent. Plus if you are at one location and have family at the other you can all watch tv.

Reactions: dishrich
I would just get a dish rv receiver and a normal dish and add it to your account for $7 a month. Then you don't have to carry the receiver back and forth. Dish has no way of knowing if the receiver is in an rv, house, or tent. Plus if you are at one location and have family at the other you can all watch tv.
I would suggest deactivating the receiver for the second location when you are not using it. That way, you save the $7 per month.

I would suggest deactivating the receiver for the second location when you are not using it. That way, you save the $7 per month.
Of course you have to own the receiver to deactivate it and keep it. You would be required to return a leased receiver upon deactivation.... Just putting it out there for clarities sake.

Of course we haven't heard anything from the OP since his original post. I'm wondering if the intent is to have working service at both locations at the same time. Of course that is not contractually allowed.

Reactions: pattykay

Audit team.

Seig Heil!

Reactions: MikeD-C05
The return of the OP !

Thanks for all the responses. For years I had a second home, same state, and purchased a 211Z, so I could piggy back off my "home" subscription and it probably is only an additional $7.

Another question. Are the "Dish" cards machine specific? If I just purchase another Z211 and put my card in another Z211, will it work? Will a card that goes in a 611 work in a Z211?

Oh, I thought I heard that if you do the RV subscription you get two spot locals? Is that true?

Alternatively you could have two accounts and put the one at the house that is vacant on vacation hold. They charge $5 a month for vacation hold but it might be more convenient than moving the hopper.

Yea dish would love that. I would agree, but I think the issue is how long they would let you put it on pause.

Ideally you would activate the account for 3 days every other weekend.

It's honestly not worth the hassle waiting on hold to call it in. Besides you would be in a contract forever doing it just way because the contract pauses also.

Our situation is slightly different, as my siblings and I co-own our vacation home. We're using Dish's Pay-as-you-go service when the home is inhabited and split the monthly fees. That way there is no Vacation Hold and we're above-board with the service. We just call up and get the locals and the lowest FlexPack (or whatever they'll allow us this year). At the end of the season, we call to shut it down and we're good until next year.

We have a Dish 1000.2 EA dish pointed to the SE. The ViP 722 that I won in Scott & Prize Goddess's Holiday Giveaway eons ago is the receiver in the Living Room and TV2 feeds the other TV outlets in the house. When I was wiring it up I also ran a second drop to the Master Bedroom so I can activate my ViP 211k as an RV to get HD there (and not miss GoT!)

There is a DirecTV dish on the south wall of the house that my niece's husband put in (he is a DirecTV installer) which also feeds the living room and master bedroom, so we had to make sure the connections are clearly marked!

Reactions: pattykay
Most important is your upload speed, at least 5 meg.

I've got DSL with an upload speed of .8 'meg' (that's right, point eight) and I watch Dish Anywhere all the time with excellent results on phones, tablets and laptops.