The Ultimate D* Hd Question - When?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

OzMan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
Okay...I know that today is 9/5/2007. I know that a D* rep told me that the release of the new HD channels would be "during the first week in September" but he did not give me a date. I know that the new HD channels will use the same channel numbers (no new channel numbers to remember.)

What I want to finally know is WHEN? Today, tomorrow...it's got to be soon because I've noticed that there are alot more NFL Sunday Ticket games in HD this week...and the NGC Sneak Preview is over tomorrow (9/6/2007).

DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE THE EXACT DATE AND TIME FOR THE RELEASE OF THE FIRST LOAD OF NEW HD CHANNELS?

I agree on the 14th, but I spoke with a D* rep yesterday who said the 19th? She was probably told to say that, so they can soft launch on the 14th and be sure there are no problems.

My guess is 14th. At this point, thats all it is. Trust me, once we have some credible leaks or sources, you will know on the front page. Until then, only Directv and our maker knows.

What everyone has heard and what everyone guesses means absolutely nothing. The fact that they have more NFL games has no bearing since all games will be MPEG2. Wikipedia reports it as being turned on the 7th. There are rumors on every page and yet the satellite is still not where it needs to be. My guess is that it will definately be up before the end of the year and so place that on the list of dates that liter all these sites. Peace.

Hey...OK...so the satellite is still not in position.

1) Could someone please repost that link that let's us see the sat location?

and...

2) Could someone please extrapolate from the sat location data how long they think it will be before it's "in position."

Thanks guys! This is the best "insider's forum" I've ever had the pleasure to participate in!

Thanks for that awesome link, Brewer4! :up Remarkable!

FROM WIKI:

A circular geosynchronous orbit in the plane of the Earth's equator has a radius of approximately 42,164 km (from the center of the Earth). A satellite in such an orbit is at an altitude of approximately 35,786 km (22,236 statute miles) above mean sea level. It will maintain the same position relative to the Earth's surface.

Okay...so we can see from the link that the sat is now at an altitude of 35875.96 km...so it's about at the right altitude for geosynchronous orbit.

It's current speed is 1.12 mph. So we can see that it's just crawling along now at altitude...destined to arrive at it's final position sometime in the future. I do not know what position that is...perhaps one of you knows...and can extrapolate how much more time needs to pass before it arrives. At 1 mph, it's only going to travel about 25 miles in a day...so it's gotta be in the ballpark, right?

According to some smart posters on dbstalk.com, that site isn't that accurate.

DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - D10 Satellite TECH THREAD - HD Testing Schedule / Press Releases / Location

Ignore n2y0 for this kind of stuff - we (people who are regularly posting to DBSTalk) are getting TLEs much faster than n2y0 is getting them, and our software seems to be more accurate than theirs, on top of that. Trust me, it won't take long for people here to spot a new element set and update position information.

Wikipedia reports it as being turned on the 7th. Peace.

I have attached a link to wikipedia - I see where it says the bird will turn on about two months after launch (launch date July 7), but I can't find where it gives a September 7th date. Is this the same page that you are referring to?

The exact quote is:
DirecTV-10 reached target orbit and separated from the Breeze-M upper stage at 1024 GMT on July 7, 2007. After about two months of in-orbit testing, the satellite will move to its operating position of 102.8° West longitude.[3]

DirecTV-10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've read elsewhere that it was there but has since been removed. I'm sure if you look at past edits you'll probably find it. The problem with Wikipedia is that any idiot with a computer can edit a page. I could go on there and post that the channels will be active anytime or that D10 fell out of the sky.

I have attached a link to wikipedia - I see where it says the bird will turn on about two months after launch (launch date July 7), but I can't find where it gives a September 7th date. Is this the same page that you are referring to?

The exact quote is:
DirecTV-10 reached target orbit and separated from the Breeze-M upper stage at 1024 GMT on July 7, 2007. After about two months of in-orbit testing, the satellite will move to its operating position of 102.8° West longitude.[3]

DirecTV-10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Be careful using Wikipedia as a source ,Because when I used it in reference to NFL Sunday Ticket,Everyone bit my head off and said it was an unreliable source. Funny how that works .

Be careful using Wikipedia as a source ,Because when I used it in reference to NFL Sunday Ticket,Everyone bit my head off and said it was an unreliable source. Funny how that works .

That's because it is.
I don't see the humor in it though.:p

That page was last modified well over a month ago.

That's because it is.
I don't see the humor in it though.:p

That page was last modified well over a month ago.
Thanks for your imput once again. The humor in it is, When it makes D* look good then its an ok source. But when it states a problem with D* in some way shape or form,Then its a crappy source.

I was on the phone today with Customer Service ordering my new HR20. The official mantra is "this month". She said that was all they were allowed to say.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)