the ultimate snow preventer for your dish

WALLYWOMBAT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Saw this video and immediately thought it would be perfect for my Dish to prevent the occasional snow caused signal loss...

Last edited by a moderator:
I signed up. I find this very interesting, and for more than just sat dishes.

Thank you for this intriguing info.

A friend of mine with DirecTV uses cooking spray to get the snow to slide off his dish. I surprisingly had no signal loss at all last winter when I first got Dish, considering how heavy the snow is around here in the wintertime.

This will do nothing for the Signal Loss issue.
Signal loss is due to the storm clouds blocking the signal between your dish and the Sat.
Nothing you can do about that.

Think you got that wrong Jimbo. It has nothing to do with the clouds. It is the snow build up on the Dish itself. If you knock the snow off of the Dish, the signal comes back, so I think this product would work great.

Signal loss is due to the storm clouds blocking the signal between your dish and the Sat.

I have to disagree with you on this. I have a 1000.4 dish on the roof. Last winter we had some wet snow falls that the dish retained like a huge bowl. We lost all signal. So I had to use a "webster" (used for spider webs on ceiling) stuck into a plastic tube to clean the snow off the dish. Signal came back as soon as I had the dish partially cleaned.

We also had a couple storms where it was blizzard like conditions, but the snowfall was the fluffy not packing type that you could use a broom to sweep away and there was no signal loss.

How does this differ from Rain X? Would this be better than Rain X? How often would this need to be reapplied? I think this would be great for windshields. Looks great for waterproofing shoes and clothing as well. Why not use it on the body of a car as well kind of like what wax would do.

Rain fade is NOT the only cause of signal loss. A misaligned or physically blocked (including snow or frost coverage) dish will report the same error.

A friend of mine with DirecTV uses cooking spray to get the snow to slide off his dish. I surprisingly had no signal loss at all last winter when I first got Dish, considering how heavy the snow is around here in the wintertime.

Lake effect snow tends to be dry and that doesn't stick to the dish. It's the heavy wet snow that causes problems. I'm in the Lake Ontario snow squall area, east of Rochester.

I always thought the best solution was a heated dish. I had one once and it worked well and we get heavy wet snow ("sierra cement"). I have also had some luck with Collinite 845 car wax. One thing you have to consider before buying that product in the video is its ability to hold up to UV light. If it breaks down in the sun (regardless of temp) it will have to be reapplied,

Lake effect snow tends to be dry and that doesn't stick to the dish. It's the heavy wet snow that causes problems. I'm in the Lake Ontario snow squall area, east of Rochester.

Good point. I had DirecTV from 2002 to 2005 back in Jersey and again from 2007 to 2009. Rarely had signal issues in Jersey, but here, snow would stick to the dish, and even the slightest bit stuck to it killed the signal. Had to go outside every 5 minutes to quickly remove whatever snow from the dish. Dish Network never gave me a signal loss issue last year.

Yeah that's great and all... But this is more fun :p :-

super_soaker_50_1.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts