The (un)OFFICIAL missed recordings thread

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Earth
I've seen some posts about missed recordings so I thought I'd start a thread to see how often it is occurring.

Please post in this thread if you miss any.

Yesterday 4-13 - only 4 of my 8 scheduled recordings actually
recorded.

Three of the missed were OTA & the fourth was on FX.
It did change channels to FX, it just didn't record.

Last edited:
I've only had one get missed.
The Tudors on Sunday night (install was Saturday morning).
Checked the list and it showed to be skipped because it was "Already scheduled".
Luckily my 722K caught it (although SHO repeats it several times anyway).

This happens daily for me. Today 2 of my 5 shows are nowhere to be found. Let me know if you are seeing what I am.

The common thing I have noticed is:

The missing recordings show up in the daily schedule as " Completed by user 2 ". All the ones that work show as "Completed by user 1"

On both it shows the correct timer start timer and end time but for the ones completed by user 2 the start and stop recording time states N/A.

I have two trouble tickets open and they have pulled diagnostics from my 922 with no luck so far. Thanks goodness I still have DirecTV to catch everything the 922 misses.

I'm on my second 922 because they thought it was a hardware issue before but since it continues to happen it's definitely software.

Last edited:
I had 3 timers set to fire at 9 PM last night:
Justified- Ch. 136 FX
Parenthood- Ch. 5 NBC
V- Ch. 8.1 ABC (OTA)

I was watching Mavs-Spurs on Ch. 21.1 (OTA) when 9 PM rolled around.
I saw the record light come on, but I was suprised my tuner didn't change automatically (but glad I was still able to watch the game).
I opened the DVR menu and could see "icons" for Justified and "V", but not "Parenthood". I looked at the timers and could see that all three showed to be recording, including "Parenthood".
Assuming a reboot would probably make the Parenthood icon appear, I let it continue to record until after 10 PM. I then used the red reset button to "reboot" the 922. Once it came back up, I checked the DVR menu again, but still no "Parenthood". The timer menu showed all three programs had recorded, and my drive showed to be 5% full with 9 recordings (though only 8 programs available, the phantom Parenthood being the 9th).
To add further insult, the recording of "Justified" turned out to be 64 minutes of Black Screen, no picture, no sound! "V" recorded fine, so I got one out of three. (of course it's the only one I can see a replay of, on ABC's web site).
Also noticed that my Broadband "icon", that was previously in the right corner of the info banner is no longer there.

David Letterman last night. Shows it recorded but get black screen when trying to watch it. Can't access any other channels. Doing a check switch will bring my channels back but the Letterman icon will show it playing and you can't delete it. Reseting the box will allow you to delete it. I have an OTA module that I may try removing to see if it is causing the issue. Anyone else with this problem that doesn't have an OTA module installed?

Tried to delete the black-screen recording of Justified, but the option to delete wasn't even there. The icon had a green arrow like it was playing (apparently on the sling feed (which wasn't open), since I was watching another recorded program on TV1.
Stop didn't work either. I had to go online and delete it from my PC.

Same problem again last night:
Again, two SAT channels, and one OTA recording at 9 PM, (again watching Mavs-Spurs on the other OTA feed). This time, both Sat Recordings showed up in "My Recordings", but the OTA program did not, despite showing as recording in the "daily schedule" list.
Apparently the 922 doesn't like NBA basketball being watched while it's recording other things.
And sometime after 9 PM, my missing "Broadband" icon in the info banner magically reappeared.

Last night I discovered my Recording of "Fringe", despite being reported as 1 Hr and 3 Minutes long, was actually only 32 seconds long. The 922 recorded the last 32 seconds of "Bones" and then stopped recording.

Last night I discovered my Recording of "Fringe", despite being reported as 1 Hr and 3 Minutes long, was actually only 32 seconds long. The 922 recorded the last 32 seconds of "Bones" and then stopped recording.

All you missed good in that ep was the few seconds at the end. I love that show, but I hate when people tell fairy tales and waste an episode.

Had a daily recording go missing. A show my wife set to record the same time every weekday. Timers reports that it recorded. When the recording started and when it stopped. The show just is nowhere to be found. Not a good start with this new unit.

Well last Tuesday 4/27 it missed 2 shows out of 4 at 9pm. It did get the two OTA shows at 9pm.

Mine recorded a wrong channel/show, but showed the correct programming info on the dvr list. Then recorded two shows with no audio last night.

My missing recordings are also the ones that are Completed by user 2. I wonder how you can always make the recordings finish by user 1. If we can figure that out, I bet we will never miss another recording.

My missing recordings are also the ones that are Completed by user 2. I wonder how you can always make the recordings finish by user 1. If we can figure that out, I bet we will never miss another recording.

You using PIP and swap at all? I have a theory that this is related to these sorts of problems.

I had America, The Story of Us episode 3 stop 40 minutes into watching it. The info showed a 2hrs and 3 minutes as recorded. This is crazy. If this continues and Dish doesn't do anything about it soon, I will go back to my 722. I just got this thing installed this Saturday 5/1 because I wore out my 722 and it went bad. I've already had some weird things happen. I'm not sure I like how the folders are organized. Can't tell which one was recorded first.

Last edited:
I replaced my 722 with the 922 on Sunday 5/2. Several items to note:

1. When I hooked my external drive and attempted to transfer several recordings back to the 922. This took several attempts to get the programs transferred. It indicated it was moving them, but after a few minutes, the system showed no active transfers.

2. My wife went to Watch "House", but "How I Met Your Mother" was playing under this icon. When I tried via Sling (outside of home network), only 32 secs of House was recorded.

3. I had a stand alone Slingbox for the 722. The 922 version will take some getting used to. Main thing I noticed is that the Remote Control disappears when in Full Screen mode. I haven't figured out how to get back, besides leaving Full Screen Mode. The stand alone box would show the remote when you moved the cursor to the left border.

I asked the 922 to record 60minutes on Sunday and it did not record at all this is gettin frustrating. I understand the box bin new blah blah blah but not this bad.

Another Tuesday and another two recordings missed, this time one each sat & ota. (good thing I kept my 722 active)