The (un)OFFICIAL missed recordings thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Wow, a log of missed shows. You all seem pretty patient about the problem. I am thinking of trading in my 722 for a 922, but now thinking of waiting. I don't have an OTA input, so that may help my case. But sounds like the 922 still misses a lot of programs.

A question, some of these posts refer to 3 recordings..., There are only 2 tuners correct? so how can someone record 3 items at one time?

Thanks.

...You all seem pretty patient about the problem...

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me it seemed like a decent time to do it, given that it's summer, which for us means fewer "critical" shows. I figure (and I am an optimist) that Dish/Sling know about it despite what their CSRs say, and that the 922 is supposed to attract people to Dish over time., so they're motivated to fix it. I was so desperate to get off Comcast that it seems worth it so far.

Hopefully for me, that means these problems will get fixed over the course of the summer. But what do I know? :rolleyes:

A question, some of these posts refer to 3 recordings..., There are only 2 tuners correct? so how can someone record 3 items at one time?

Thanks.

Your larger black(bold looking) font is really not necessary.

THe answer to your question is with the OTA module added the 922 has 4 tuners, 2 Satellite and 2 OTA so you can do 4 recording at the same time.

Mine has been working fine now. Fist week or two I had a few missed recordings, and now it seems to be working much better and is no longer missing shows.

Larger black font

Well, sorry if my larger black font is too much. I guess this one is fine. :)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. True, this is a good time to do it, I was just figuring that another 2 or 3 weeks and some of this may be fixed. I am somewhat concerned about the EHD problem. I have programs saved that I don't want to loose. I am also hoping, that the option to record to an external device will be added so that I can archive certain programs.

Well, as of 6-4 2010 apparently the "Black screen of death" recording problem is still there. I went to watch Stargate Universe which recorded, well, should have recorded last Friday, and I got the black screen and you get the can't do that sign in the upper right of the screen if you try to Stop or FF. One thing you can do to get out of the black screen is go back to your recordings and play something else, it’s easier than resetting, but yes it still shows to be playing in the background. That was over the sat on SYFY, I had a recording of Big Bang Theory do the same thing while recording on the OTA module, so it's not limited to sat recordings, but could be related to OTA users I guess. BBT was the season finally, and it would be one of the shows the network doesn’t put online

I have had several shows that showed as recorded on My Recordings, but when I went to play them, the screen was black and within a few seconds went to end of show pop up. When I tried t back up, a red circle with a line through it appeared on the upper right portion of the screen.

The 2 channels I've noticed this on were OTA - Channel 2-01 and 32-01. This week Glee and Hell's Kitchen had the problem.

Hi everybody. I joined the forum so I could participate in this thread. Just got Dish and loving it so far except for the VIP 922 "Black Screen Of Death" recording issue (good term btw, whoever coined it). The symptoms are the same as reported previously in this thread--when I try to play the affected recordings all I get is a black screen, and doing any DVR controls does nothing except pops up the "can't do that" red circle icon in the upper right of the screen. I can get back to and play other recordings or watch live TV, but said recording still has the green triangle icon indicating it's playing.

It's not OTA-related because I don't have the OTA module and still experience it. I've had it happen on Nick Jr. and Travel Channel HD for sure. Maybe Bravo HD also, but not positive about that. I would say there's seemingly no rhyme or reason to when/why the BlackSOD happens, but I haven't kept a log of blank recordings. I'll try to do that.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I deleted my other BlackSOD recordings and only have 1 right now that I know of. It's an episode of Ni Hao Kai Lan on Nick Jr. According to the info it came on at 4:30 p.m. on 6/14/2010 (yesterday), and is 7h 49m long! Nice.

I might be completely imagining this (hope not), but I recall seeing the BlackSOD on one of my earlier recordings, so I rebooted, played another recording that was fine, and went back to the problem recording and it was fine after that. Anybody else experience this? I'll try it with the one that I still have on my DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts