The Voice of Yankee baseball to retire

Last edited:
When I was watching that "Bronx is Burning" movie on ESPN, one thing I remember distinctly was the way Sheppard introduced "Number 44.... Reggie Jackson."

It would be a classy thing for them to call the First game in new stadium if he wants to retire ....

BINGO! Excellent idea.

BTW, Jeter has a digital recording of Sheppard calling his name @ the plate. He used it during the festivities @ last year's All Star Game when Bob was too ill to attend. Word was that all the other players were extremely jealous.

BINGO! Excellent idea.

BTW, Jeter has a digital recording of Sheppard calling his name @ the plate. He used it during the festivities @ last year's All Star Game when Bob was too ill to attend. Word was that all the other players were extremely jealous.

I remember that !

You know he seems like he wants to continue, so let him continue. If he wants to keep doing it, why not? Not to sound mean though, if he calls it a career or people tell him maybe its time to hang it up, who has had a better career than him? Hes done it all and announced every major league baseball and football player there ever was.

I mean God Bless Him if he wanted to retire.

You know he seems like he wants to continue, so let him continue. If he wants to keep doing it, why not? Not to sound mean though, if he calls it a career or people tell him maybe its time to hang it up, who has had a better career than him? Hes done it all and announced every major league baseball and football player there ever was.

IF, he's being forced out, this is sad .....
Reminds me of how Ernie Harwell was shuffled out of the booth, the first time.

Jimbo

It's been sad the last year or so that he was there. His dentures were horribly loose and caused him to muffle-up some names as he called them. There does come a time...

I've often said, I wish there was a way Bob Sheppard could record every word and name. Sort of like a time capsule.

Any time you have an announcing icon for a team retiring it is sad to see them go, whether through retirement or passing.

What I'll always like about Bob Sheppard is that he would never stoop to the hype you hear even in major league parks these days. The disturbing trend is for team owners to introduce "yoooour ho0000metown PLAAAAAA-YERS!!!!!" like a single-A minor league club. And that sounds absolutely bush!

Looks like the ol' timer is having a tough time with this. IMO, the bridging of the gap between old and new Yankee Stadium couldn't be handled the same by anyone else out there. It just won't be the same without Bob.

Despite Paul Doherty’s (agent and family friend) disclosure, Sheppard, who has been the P.A. announcer for the Yankees since 1951, declined to say that he was retiring. When asked if he was officially leaving the position, Sheppard said, “I never said it.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/02/sports/baseball/02sheppard.html?hpw

Ole' Ernie originally agreed to retire. Then he pulled a "Favre".

I never knew that, Paul. It surely hasn't gone down in baseball lore that way. Thanks for the "in city" insight on that one.

I could see how a new regime might have wanted Ernie out. Wonderful as he is, he does have that midwestern drawl, that everyman "blue collar" appeal that might be perceived as "uncosmopolitan". And he certainly (like Scully) calls the game at HIS pace and not the network's.:up

That whole incident left a bad taste in my mouth. I lost a little respect for Ernie after that. The Tigers felt it was time to change directions in the booth, Ernie agreed, had his retirement event, then he changed his mind, and cried to anybody that would listen that he was "forced" out, yada, yada, yada. The public turned on Ilitch until the real story came out that the Tigers had offered him another year in the first place, before replacing him. Given Ernie's popularity, I think maybe me and two other people felt that Ernie was a whining old man and that point. The rest of the city didn't care, or didn't bother to see the other side of this story.

That whole incident left a bad taste in my mouth. I lost a little respect for Ernie after that. The Tigers felt it was time to change directions in the booth, Ernie agreed, had his retirement event, then he changed his mind, and cried to anybody that would listen that he was "forced" out, yada, yada, yada. The public turned on Ilitch until the real story came out that the Tigers had offered him another year in the first place, before replacing him. Given Ernie's popularity, I think maybe me and two other people felt that Ernie was a whining old man and that point. The rest of the city didn't care, or didn't bother to see the other side of this story.

Well, at least he can still run Sunday Baseball Chapel for your Tigers. Hmmm...considering things, maybe they need a new minister, too!!!!

Maybe I'm mistaken, wasn't it When Bo was president that the Erine thing came down ?

I was always told it was Bo that didn't want him and wanted to move on in the booth and Ernie wanted to stay.

Jimbo

I heard on local radio here that HIS AGENT said he was retiring but his family memebers stated it is NOT true....That he just won't be there for the begining of th season.

I am trying to find SOMETHING to confirm what was said. He is something PARTIALLY confirming he will not start the begining of the season. but no mention of retirement.

Bob Sheppard not expected at new Yankee Stadium operner

1:27 PM EDT, March 26, 2009

Bob Sheppard likely will not be at the public address microphone when the Yankees officially open their new stadium April 16, his wife, Mary, said Thursday.

"His doctor said he doesn't have the stamina yet to go back at this time, but he's hoping sometime during the season he'll be able to,'' she said from their Baldwin home.

Bob Sheppard not expected at new Yankee Stadium opener -- Newsday.com

I heard on local radio here that HIS AGENT said he was retiring but his family memebers stated it is NOT true....That he just won't be there for the begining of th season.

I am trying to find SOMETHING to confirm what was said. He is something PARTIALLY confirming he will not start the begining of the season. but no mention of retirement.

Bob Sheppard not expected at new Yankee Stadium operner

1:27 PM EDT, March 26, 2009

Bob Sheppard likely will not be at the public address microphone when the Yankees officially open their new stadium April 16, his wife, Mary, said Thursday.

"His doctor said he doesn't have the stamina yet to go back at this time, but he's hoping sometime during the season he'll be able to,'' she said from their Baldwin home.

Bob Sheppard not expected at new Yankee Stadium opener -- Newsday.com

Read the link I posted in post #12. I talked about this...

A notable quote from that NY Times article...

Doherty said Paul Sheppard was referring to his father’s missing opening day, not the entire season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts