The Voom installer is on his way!!!

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
Well, so far so good.

I ordered Voom via Voom's web site about two weeks ago (just after they allowed ordering of the lease plan online). About a day later, I called Voom to verify my install date. At the time, the online installation booking did not work correctly. So, I simply rescheduled the install for today via the phone rep. So far, so good. :)

Eventually, after receiving the false e-mail that many people received from Installs Inc., I did receive an e-mail from Installs Inc. with the correct details of my install.

Just as a test (because I'm not in a hurry) I decided not to call Installs Inc. until the day before the install. So, I called Voom yesterday to confirm my install. They still had the correct info. I asked for Installs Inc.'s number and they gave it to me. However, it was a corporate number and not a local installers number. Installs Inc. had the correct information in their system and I decided not to push it to a local level.

So, the local installer just called me. He just wanted to make sure he had the best directions to my place. :D He's on his way now.

I'll keep you posted!! My plan is to physically install the receiver myself while he's outside mounting the dish and running cable. Wish me luck. :bounce

It's this Hispanic dude from Houston who owns his own company. He's just a subcontractor for Installs Inc. He said he used to do installs for Radio Shack and his contract with Installs Inc. carried over the contract after he left Radio Shack.

He said the name of his company is Skylink, but he's not using that name for Voom installs due to insurance costs. I can understand that.

He is VERY knowledgable and a VERY nice guy. So far, so good!!! :yes

Is 71 a good signal strength for the installer to be getting on his digital signal strength meter (I don't know the correct term for it)?

What should the signal strength be on the Voom receiver?

ChetK said:
Is 71 a good signal strength for the installer to be getting on his digital signal strength meter (I don't know the correct term for it)?

What should the signal strength be on the Voom receiver?
I don't know about his meter but with 5.08 software in the 40's and 5.68 software in the 90's.

Woo Hoo! It's hooked up. Only took about 30 minutes. However, he didn't bring a remote that he thought he had. So, he called his wife to bring him a remote from home. Isn't that freakin' awesome? I'll be Vooming within the next hour.

Of course, I'll have to wait for a software download for it to be the best Voom experience, but that was REALLY painless. Let's hope I can get a good signal. I doubt there will be signal problems.

Chet = Very Happy So Far - This is the way it should be.

if you have 71 on old software you should be in the 90's with the new software I think.

Check your OTA channels.

Check starshd channels and espnhd (sometimes they are screwed up due to bad diplexers)

It was 71 on his personal digital meter. Not the receiver meter. I can't get to any receiver menus until I have the remote which should be here any minute.

Let us know what is the signal quality strength on Sat channels. It should be greater than 50 on old software and greater than 90 on new software. Remember to turn off stb before going to bed.

94-95 :D :yes

He just left! I'm Vooming.

One quick note: I am very happy with the amount of channels. I do notice a bit more compression on the ShoHD, HBOHD (no HD content on right now, so it's not fair to compare) and DiscoveryHDTheater compared to E* and the 6000U receiver. I guess it's a bit of a trade off (more HD channels, but more visible compression). So, I would like to see Voom use less compression since it is somewhat visible.

How can I check the software version number? Since my receiver is new, I noticed that the channels change pretty fast. I've read that it should take more like 7 seconds with the old software. It's not very slow at all. Maybe I got a newer software version number right out of the box?

BTW, I ended up with an 18" dish. I'm OK with that (unless I get excessive rain/cloud fade). We'll all be upgraded eventually anyway.

VOOM button ---> Green Button ----> System settings ---> option #7 ----> scroll down to software version... The signal quality number is on the same page but you have to scroll down one more page.

ChetK said:
00.05.68 Is that good? What's the latest?

Yeah... that's the latest. I guess you are the first one installed with a pre-loaded 5.68. This is good. I guess VOOM got new equipment with pre-loaded 5.68 software (which is the latest). Those numbers for signal quality are excellent. Enjoy Voom and check out Ultra this weekend... good programming there.

Excellent Sean. Thanks a lot! This is a really AWESOME forum you've got here. Keep it up!

One last note and then I'm going to watch some Voom: I wonder how the Voom receiver treats OTA video. I noticed that there is some edge enhancement-type of compression artifacts that I don't get when I go straight through my TV's HD tuner. Here's what I'm thinking:

If the OTA channel is 720P and the Voom box is set to 1080i, there is some kind of conversion there. Within the conversion, there is some major compression or addition of artifacts going on? I really like the program guides for my OTA channels. But I'm not sure if I can trade quality for the guide.

You should not get any artifacts for OTA. Set the resolution (red button in front of stb -behind compartment) to the resolution of your TV. Check that the OTA module is all the way in and that coax ends are tight. What's your TV native rez?

ChetK,
Welcome to VOOM! I am glad the installation went well.
If your TV set supports 720p, you can try switching the STB to "Native mode".

Sean, I saw earlier reports that STBs now come with 568 preloaded. Good. Less trouble for new customers.

Well, I'm glad that you got your install done today (and correctly). Unfortunately for me, I didn't get that same luck. My install was supposed to be today (morning), but the installer never showed. Just got off the phone with Voom, and they said that the installer will be calling me later today with a rescheduled install date. The only problem is, the only days I get off of work is on the weekends (been waiting 2 weeks for this install, and now I'll have to wait again). This is not starting out very well at all. But I guess I'll just be patient, being this is a holiday weekend and all.

I'll switch it to 720p and see how it goes.

Also, are you guys having problems with TNTHD and MAXHD today? About every 5 seconds the audio cuts out and it goes to black for about 2 seconds. Not good. It started about half way through Biker Boyz on MAXHD and it is happening constantly now on MAXHD and during Rocky on TNTHD. I may have to call Voom if it's not happening on everybody's boxes.

Smiley79, I'm sorry your install din't go as planned. It sounds like you have a great attitude about it though. Weekends are the worst for installers because everybody tries to get them for the weekends. When my installer was here, he called Installs Inc. to activate my receiver. As the girl on the other end was activating it, he started BS'ing with her. Appearently, Installs Inc. is open on Memorial Day and my installer said that they probably have "jobs scheduled for him" on Monday. Well, I can see why. Most people are at home from work on Mon. Hang in there.

Alright, call me crazy, but I can't figure out how to get it to 720p mode. Every time I press the little red button on the receiver, it switches modes, but I only seem to get 480i, 480p and 1080i.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)