The "We want full time RSN" thread

wardfan said:
So I agree with the OP a little here. If the channels are all there, they are broadcasting HD 100% of the time then why not just give the HD feed to us all the time in stead of turning it on when the game starts? Adding additional channels will fix the JIP yes, but what about wanting to watch pre and post games in HD? I think that only applies to my Center Ice at that point though sorry, which is another question, why can't the pre and post game be added to CI, lol? But seriously, why is adding more HD alt channels an easier fix then just streaming us the HD channel all the time? Or is it a bandwith issue?

It's bandwidth. Having all the RSNs in HD all the time would require much more bandwidth that offering them A's game only HD channels.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

They keep telling us it is a bandwith issue while adding stuff like GSN and OPHRA using the bandwidth they claim isn't there. I guess it is really about priorites or maybe they just like sticking it to sports fans.

Honestly, if they'll get the games in HD, that will pacify me somewhat. HOWEVER, what I want to know is this: where is this bandwidth used in the middle of the night when no games are on TV? For example, I record any Track & Field that is shown. This past week, Fox Sports SW aired both the Big 12 and Pac-10 Track & Field Championships in the middle of the night...and they were not in HD. Why on earth wouldn't you have bandwidth at 2:00am? There certainly isn't any baseball on. Where does the bandwidth evaporate to? I think it is likely a result of the manual intervention that is required. They just don't do it and the bandwidth goes unused. That is another argument for 24x7 HD RSNs.

HD or not HD? I'll say this much, the MLS games on Fox Sports Ohio are unwatchable. Not in the sense that HD or nothing. I'll watch ESPN Deportes in SD for the EPL and while not optimal, it is certainly not a bad SD signal. But Fox Sports Ohio has way too many blotches, the NHL is the exact same thing. During the preview for Center Ice, I couldn't stand the video at all.

While I understand that HD isn't "possible", isn't there a possible way to HD-lite it?
larryf said:
They keep telling us it is a bandwith issue while adding stuff like GSN and OPHRA using the bandwidth they claim isn't there. I guess it is really about priorites or maybe they just like sticking it to sports fans.
Yes. Dish Network likes to make it personal, in fact, I've heard they will call sport fans late in the night just to taunt them.

Either that or full HD of a dozen plus sports channels, in addition to full sport package subscriptions (NHL Center Ice, NBA, MLB etc...) would involve a total of two plus dozen channels, meaning it isn't GSN or all the RSN's. I sympathize over the lack of complete (or even halfway decent) HD coverage for sports, however, noting that Oprah and GSN are in HD isn't a fair comparison seeing that those are just a pair of channels and complete sports coverage would require several channels, possibly dozens, to cover the leagues.

Here it is June 15 that is when Scott said the RSN's games would all be in HD . Well guess what the Mariners game was 45 minutes late getting HD. Was he just pulling our leg or what?

Without knowing any real specifics I think the changes were overnight so maybe starting today you should see some changes?

I am glad I decided to wait it out. I was one of the people who was very close to canceling my Dish service even though I am under a new contract over full time HD RSN's. I love my dish service besides that one problem.

This still isn't exactly what I wanted because there are things besides professional sporting events that I watch on FSN Detroit that I would like to watch in HD. If every Tigers Pistons and Redwings game is in HD from now on though I can live with that.

Just another thought... I will be the first to say that I don't know much about bandwidth requirements or how transponders work. I remember from another post people said that Dish can't put our RSNs on spotbeams because of the NHL and NBA packages and that makes sense.

Is there any reason Dish couldn't give us our full time HD RSNs on the same spotbeams as our HD locals and keep these game only HD feeds CONUS? It seems like this would solve the issue of having the games available for those packages. People who aren't currently on the right arc for the HD locals could get those game only channels via CONUS transponders too.

Like I said before I don't know much about the bandwidth this would require. It doesn't seem like it would take too much to give us at least 1 HD full time RSN per DMA via spotbeam. This would be a big improvement even if they couldn't give those DMAs that have more than one RSN all of them full time HD.

well some DMA need a RSN ALT HD channel also some area like NY have 2-3+ full time RSN's + alt's.

any ways seem like D* used to do RSN HD on the spotbeams.

FSN Detroit has a HD alt channel but it is game only anyways. There would be no point in putting channels like that in HD full time anyways because FSD+ only shows the exact same thing as FSD unless there are two games on at once. They could leave these alt channels game only like they are now and I don't think many people would complain.

As for NY with their multiple RSNs, I didn't think dish carried any of NY's RSNs anyways. The markets where dish does carry multiple RSNs could have all of them on their spotbeams if they fit. If they don't all fit they could give them one of them and most people would be happier than they are now.

Don't get me wrong. I am happy that dish finally took a big step in the right direction by giving us all games in HD from now on. I just hope they don't say good enough and stop there.

If I can get all HD games actually in HD, I'll be happy. But we all know the best way to guarantee it is to avoid the nightly shuffle and make 'em full-time....

Just another thought... I will be the first to say that I don't know much about bandwidth requirements or how transponders work. I remember from another post people said that Dish can't put our RSNs on spotbeams because of the NHL and NBA packages and that makes sense.

Is there any reason Dish couldn't give us our full time HD RSNs on the same spotbeams as our HD locals and keep these game only HD feeds CONUS? It seems like this would solve the issue of having the games available for those packages. People who aren't currently on the right arc for the HD locals could get those game only channels via CONUS transponders too.

Like I said before I don't know much about the bandwidth this would require. It doesn't seem like it would take too much to give us at least 1 HD full time RSN per DMA via spotbeam. This would be a big improvement even if they couldn't give those DMAs that have more than one RSN all of them full time HD.

The issue is spotbeams are small compared to the RSN coverage area. Also what about folks who buy the multi-sports pack? But for sake of argument lets just use the local RSN issue
FS North is covered in MN, ND, SD, WI and part of Iowa. So how many spotbeams would they have to uplink it to? 8? 10? more? Seems like a waste of bandwidth even on spotbeams
Also some spotbeams are already packed with HD locals.

The issue is spotbeams are small compared to the RSN coverage area. Also what about folks who buy the multi-sports pack? But for sake of argument lets just use the local RSN issue
FS North is covered in MN, ND, SD, WI and part of Iowa. So how many spotbeams would they have to uplink it to? 8? 10? more? Seems like a waste of bandwidth even on spotbeams
Also some spotbeams are already packed with HD locals.

That makes sense. Like I said, I don't know much about the spotbeams or bandwidth. I knew there had to be a reason they weren't already using spotbeams for full time RSNs. I obviously don't know how satellites work.

I was thinking everything would only have to be uploaded to the satellites once and several different spotbeams could send that signal down to our receivers. If i'm getting what you are saying, each spotbeam needs to have a separate signal bounced off it. I also was going under the assumption that most spotbeams would have room for an additional HD channel along with the locals. It sounds like this may not be the case.

If Dish actually has all games in HD now, I may have to think about switching back down the line. I switched to Directv just because of NBA League Pass in HD.
Keep in mind that even though Dish now will show more games in HD locally, DirecTV will still carry more games in HD nationally (on their sports package channels). NBA LP on DirecTV will still have many more games in HD than on Dish

Keep in mind that even though Dish now will show more games in HD locally, DirecTV will still carry more games in HD nationally (on their sports package channels). NBA LP on DirecTV will still have many more games in HD than on Dish

Shouldn't all the games they carry be in HD nationally now? I know Directv will still have more HD games because they carry more RSNs than dish.

I have never had League Pass, but do they not give you both feeds of the games with your subscription? You may not get your choice of RSNs, but if say the Knicks were playing the Pistons I would think you should be able to get the HD feed from Fox Sports Detroit. You would not have a choice of feeds because Dish doesn't carry New York RSNs.

As long as you get the option for both feeds, and Dish is turning on HD for all games now on the channels they carry, it seems to me like you would get almost every game in HD on either provider. The exception would be when two teams from areas where Dish doesn't carry the RSN play each other. If they don't give you a choice of home and away feeds that's another story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)