The "We want full time RSN" thread

cincyguy2k4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Even though I can be critical, generally I am generally an avid promotor of Dish. Recently I had Fios installed by Cincinnati Bell and they tried to sell me TV with their Whole Home DVR. Immediately I turned on my 922 and asked. Does it have expandable storage, sling capabilities, a 1TB drive built in, and look at this guide, can it do this?

The tech was floored and said "Sorry, our product only has 300GB of storage and you cant expand it and your guide is amazing."

Over my 12 years as a Dish customer I can tell you I have sold many folks on Dish's technology alone. The only thing that had Dish for a while was the On Demand stuff. Dish is starting to catch up on that though slowly but surely.

The thing that really is starting to bite me is the part time RSN's. Historically I haven't had much need for them but recently I have become a Reds fan. The problem is everytime I get a chance to see a game Dish turns on the HD late, cuts it short, or doesnt bother at all.

Today they are playing one of their biggest rivals, the Cards, and once again no HD. Why am I paying for something I dont get to enjoy Dish?

The concept is great. I get it. Save big money by only turning on the HD when games are on. However, cant you automate it a little bit to start 30 min before (for the Pre-Game) and maybe run 2 hours after the game to cover for games that run late? Would it be that much to ask?

Assign one person each shift to check for reschedules, rain outs and such and call it a day.

I know its another in a long list of threads on the same topic but I figured if enough people joined in on one thread here we might have a slight shot of actually getting this Part Time RSN thing figured out. Again, if we cant get full time RSN could we get the technology ironed out so that it's not as sporadic as it is now? ANYTHING is more reliable than what we are getting currently.

Did you check the HD Alternate channels? Cards at Reds in HD on channel 443 in my guide.

I really don't care if the RSN's are in HD fulltime as long as all the games are shown in HD, but of course they don't have the capacity to do that. I think that needs to be the first step, even if they have to use spotbeams on game days, they need to get all the games up in HD. This doesn't affect me as much as college football is really all I watch on the RSN's and those games are always shown.

no HD for many games, but you can watch old pre HD programing in HD on GSN using bandwidth that was supposeably not available. Also great HD of Oprah crying. What else could you want?

Eventually something will have to give.Either Charlie drops sports nets entirely,makes a separate tier for them,or pays what the broadcasters want.There has already been chatter of dropping Rsn's all together,imo not a good move.In order to make a separate tier he would have to do some very shrewd negotiating to get that done.I personally don't wanna see my rates increased drastically either.As bad as I hate to say it number 1 may be the route they go.

Would love to see all the rsn's go full time HD as well as ESPNU but I'm not holding my breath.

Heck, many of us here in NY would settle for simply having a RSN available to us on DN.

Cincinnati Bell does indeed sell Fios, its called fioptics and it is not available in all areas yet.

hxxp://www.cincinnatibell.com/fioptics/

sorry "fios" is a Verizon trademark (and parts of frontier) that doesn't meant they don't sell similar service just not 'fios"

Last edited:
Like it was stated earlier in the thread, check the ALT. channels. I watched the Reds on chnl 443 yesterday in HD but it was from Indiana. Really don't care about what it is called as long as the game was in HD. I called DISH and asked why the Reds weren't in HD before I figured out to look in the ALT. channels and was told it is up to the broadcaster to broadcast in HD. Kinda funny I would be told that if I can get FOX sports from Indiana for just the game in HD. Just curious as to why Fox sports Cinci isn't showing most of the games in HD this year other than the money DISH might have to pay for the HD or the bandwidth constraints?

Add me to the list of frustrated fans not able to watch Cardinal games in HD. It's crazy Dish doesn't have full time RSN. Over 1/2 the Cards games so far have not been in HD.

Didn't Scott say in a couple weeks they were going to release more channels for game only HD? When will that be? Baseball will be over before we see that I assume.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
From what I have seen those extra channels could be here this week or next week. ;) (Of course thats just a rumor...) :D

This OP pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. I've been a Dish subscriber for over a decade and have recommended Dish to many people. I recently upgraded to HD and lo and behold: lots of Texas Rangers games are not in HD. This is more or less my first real issue with Dish. I love Dish and when I go to other people's homes, cable etc just doesn't look/feel right to me. :)

However, I cannot wholeheartedly recommend it now. I have to offer caveats for sports fans. Not only are RSNs not HD all of the time, but ESPNU is SD. There is lots of college basketball on ESPNU.

Anyway, I like Dish and I like the service for the most part. However, if this doesn't get fixed one way or another I'll probably end up switching to DirecTV. No system is perfect, but I've gotten no indication that Charlie cares about sports fans. If they would just add *some* bandwidth they could at least get all of the RSN games in HD. Did we *really* need GSN in HD? I think not.

I can understand not having ESPNU HD due to the Dish/Disney contract problems.... But it is time to go Full HD with at least some of the RSNs.... Removing RSNs all together would be a bad decision.

From what I have seen those extra channels could be here this week or next week. ;) (Of course thats just a rumor...) :D

That will definitely be a step in the right direction, but we all know the best way to guarantee 100% game coverage is to go full-time HD, especially with the RSNs that have a larger percentage of HD programming than many of the "HD channels" that have been recently been lit up...

With full time HD RSNs and now with a whole-home DVR announced there would be very little to recommend DirecTV over Dish. I'm not sure why Charlie would ever want to give away sports-centric subscribers to DirecTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)