The Weather Channel is worthless

ashecnc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Asheville, NC
After this weekend, I think Dishnetwork should have just let The Weather Channel go. I miss seeing the weather, I noticed tonight, the weather didn't even come on until 11pm, and only for an hour. Then its back to 4 or 5 hours of storm stories. What is going on with this channel? Plus all the talk about having local weather suddenly dropped off and no one even speaks of it. I can't imagine many people watching the channel for weather now, seems like just a waste.

Yea, I read about that, but talks seem to have vanished. The guide used to have it on there, and they removed it. But the orginal "weather" channel is worthless.

Agreed...and you know this "TWC2", if it ever materializes, will be months and months behind schedule. Why didn't Dish leave that fledgling weather channel on until TWC2 was ready (vs. teasing its customer base)? Is this too much to ask from Dish?

I'm getting a little tired of the morning hosts handwringing over the gulf oil spill.
Last week Jen Carfagno in studio was getting ready to toss to Julie Martin on site and Carfagno when describing the oil used the words "Icky" and "disgusting"...C'mon, grow up honey...
The Martin has this woman there on the beach and of course the woman is sobbing about the beach and the oil..Ok I empathize with their plight.
It's not the end of the world. We are people of great ingenuity. We will get the mess cleaned up and learn from it.

I digress.
The beef I have was the lack of professionalism and jouranalistic integrity shown by these two on camera people.

I am beginning to think the worst thing that could ever have happened was NBC U purchasing TWC. NBC U management has ruined what was once an informative and entertaining service.
TWC is NOT a news service. NBC U people know by looking at the ratings that MSNBC is a piece of crap no one watches. So they use the popularity of TWC to snag those viewers.
NBC sucks sideways.

When TWC first went HD, I was stunned by the amazing PQ and state of the art studio that they presented. Then, they ruined it all by adding all of the worthless graphics, and selling out to the "wake up with Al" jerks. And now, geez...biggest joke of a weather channel ever.

Whatever NBC get's their hands on gets ruined. Reminds me when they merge their former internet portal with XOOM.com. After a year, XOOM/NBCi was history and the xoom domain went to a money xfer service.

When TWC first went HD, I was stunned by the amazing PQ and state of the art studio that they presented. Then, they ruined it all by adding all of the worthless graphics, and selling out to the "wake up with Al" jerks. And now, geez...biggest joke of a weather channel ever.

The next thing we'll get will be "Go to Sleep with Jay":D

It's one of the many laws of cable programming. Niche channels slowly move to the mainstream.

Music Television now has no music
Nick at Night's TV Land now has original reality and scripted programming
The Nashville Network turned into Spike, which has pretty well become the CSI channel

Thw Weather Channel is no different.

It's one of the many laws of cable programming. Niche channels slowly move to the mainstream.

The Nashville Network turned into Spike, which has pretty well become the CSI channel

Speaking of niche channels, add Fx, Remember Breakfast Time with Tom Bergeron and Laurie Hibberd, Bob the puppet, Jim the weatherman and all the Road Warriors? Now Its mainstream. Don't forget Jack the dog also.

Weather Channel sucks, Wake up with Al Stroker? cmon, bring back Weathercast

I am beginning to think the worst thing that could ever have happened was NBC U purchasing TWC. NBC U management has ruined what was once an informative and entertaining service.
TWC is NOT a news service. NBC U people know by looking at the ratings that MSNBC is a piece of crap no one watches. So they use the popularity of TWC to snag those viewers.
NBC sucks sideways.
Do you think they will get better when COMCAST buys them out?

I gave up on TWC at least 10 years ago when it became apparent that they had a bias for reporting weather in certain areas over ours. We live in east Texas and I don't know how many times I would turn on TWC to try to get information about approaching thunderstorms or serious weather systems only to have to listen to hours of blah, blah, blah, about the weather in the northeast - which did not include storms by the way.

wunderground.com for $10 a year
accuweather.com fre unless you want live radar and such, then its like $7

I pay for both and well worth it. I know of storms approaching way before the tools on tv tell me about them

You forgot that SciFi changed to SyFy so they could avoid showing Sci Fi.

And that Headline News has tabloid shows in prime time instead of 24 hours news.

And you left off the second phase:

Start a second channel to do what the original channel used to do.

Such as MTV2 to show music instead of reality shows.
Such as the new Cooking channel to show cooking shows instead of the reality shows on the Food Network.
Such as TWC2 to show weather instead of movies and documentaries.

PS If you really want weather, then:

Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground

is better than any TV channel could be. (The free version of the service is fine for my needs, YMMV.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)