The Weather Channel® And Dish Network® Launch Easier-than-ever Access To Weather Info

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
THE WEATHER CHANNEL® AND DISH NETWORK® LAUNCH EASIER-THAN-EVER ACCESS TO WEATHER INFORMATION

ATLANTA and ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – November 20, 2007 – What are the chances for rain tomorrow? Will it be a good weekend for hitting the slopes? Subscribers to EchoStar Communications Corporation’s (NASDAQ: DISH) DISH Network® satellite TV service will now have another convenient way to get answers to these and other weather-related questions thanks to an enhancement to the existing interactive television (iTV) program offered by The Weather Channel® and DISH Network.

Effective immediately, DISH Network subscribers watching The Weather Channel on channel 214 will have ongoing access to extensive local and national weather information including current conditions, Doppler radar, and 24-hour and five-day forecasts. The interactive service also allows viewers to access weather all across the country and save up to five favorite markets for convenient access to areas of personal interest. Viewers can access this information by clicking the “Select” button on their remote whenever they see the interactive icon in the upper left corner of their TV screen.

Previously, viewers could only access this interactive feature through DishHOME channel 100. When this feature was launched on DishHOME in May 2007, it marked the first time that any satellite TV subscriber could obtain weather information on their TV at the click of a button.

“The innovative ITV application for local weather for DISH Network customers enables The Weather Channel to provide viewers with truly personalized weather forecasts that give customized, targeted information to help them plan their day. And now it’s become even easier and faster to obtain,” said Becky Powhatan, executive vice president, distribution and business affairs, The Weather Channel.

“EchoStar is a company founded on innovation and as a leader in interactive television functionality, we are pleased to announce, in partnership with The Weather Channel, that we are making it easier for our valued customers to get the weather information they want, when they want it,” said Michael Kelly, executive vice president of Interactive Applications for EchoStar.

What is the difference of this one and the one we had that was suppose to the local on the 8s??

There is NOTHING different about it that I can tell.

Just a slow news week so I guess they figured they would put out a press release.

THE WEATHER CHANNEL® AND DISH NETWORK® LAUNCH EASIER-THAN-EVER ACCESS TO WEATHER INFORMATION

Previously, viewers could only access this interactive feature through DishHOME channel 100. When this feature was launched on DishHOME in May 2007, it marked the first time that any satellite TV subscriber could obtain weather information on their TV at the click of a button.

I beg to differ with this claim...for years DISH Network offered "Instant Weather" from Accu-Weather, until DISH dropped this a few months back. Now if we're splitting hairs and literally referring to ONE click of a button, I can still dispute this "first time" claim -- DirecTV offered this when I first became a customer of theirs in 2002. This was when DirecTV partnered with Wink Communications for Interactive features. When one tuned to the Weather Channel, a curvy-looking exclamation point would appear. Click and there's the weather.

It really bothers me when press releases boast something that's a stretch of the truth.

When is a press release NOT a stretch of the truth in some way or another? thats what they are for...

So this press release admits that DISH HOME SUCKS! It's slow and painful to use. I'll have to try this "instant weather thing" and here's the obligatory: "where's the weather channel HD" post also... though I'd rather have any other channel before weatherHD!

Two things -

First I have never had it on weather on the 8s (and do not have it on my 622) - the interactive thingy never comes up, and select brings up channel info only.

Second, this confirms that Dish has given up on detailed weather slates similar to cable.

Two things -

First I have never had it on weather on the 8s (and do not have it on my 622) - the interactive thingy never comes up, and select brings up channel info only.

Second, this confirms that Dish has given up on detailed weather slates similar to cable.

I started a thread about this almost a week ago. This application seems to have just gone GM as it just recently came up on my 211.

I would love it to look like what they have on cable.

It won't work on my 510.It does on my 301.I hate it when they release info like this and it doesn't apply to all receivers.I'm also disappointed that this isn't the local on the 8s like they origianally promised us.I guess that means there will be no specific watches or warnings for your specific area like they also promised us.There is one thing I like about this application thou it's faster.I wonder when they are going to roll this out to all receivers.I've checked both my 301 and 510 at the same time.I saw the icon in the upper left on my 301 mashed select and got my local weather and I didn't see anything on the 510 which is in my bedroom.Mashing select on that one does nothing.

I just sent them an email about my 510 and copied the press release and sent it in the email.

Not what I was

expecting. The icon shows up and by clicking it you end up on the interactive "toy" weather page. Not really "Weather on the 8's" No real weather forecast info. No special weather statements. This can't be what they've blown about since October 2006..., or can it be???

Just because they put out a press release doesn't mean it really works ! That, or they released the wrong revision of the press release.... Instead of
"Effective immediately, DISH Network subscribers watching The Weather Channel on channel 214..."
it should have read
"Coming soon, DISH Network subscribers watching The Weather Channel on channel 214..."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)