The Weirdest Thing is happening

disciple4jc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Yorktown, VA.
When I turn any television in my house to channel 19, I get the Dish Network symbol floating around with the "press select" underneath it. I don't even Dish Network at my house!! Can someone please explain this to me? I don't even know of anyone around me that has Dish Network either.

Do you have cable? I understand some DBS companies allow the cable company broadcast rights to some channels, if you're in an apartment building or somewhere where a cable from OTA or cabletv could be shared among tenants someone with Dishnet could be backfeeding signals without a proper trap and it is coming through the cable, and into your TV.

So are you saying that if someone has Dish Network and also an OTA antenna it rebroadcasts some type of signal?

If it is done incorrectly, yes, that is what I'm saying, remeber though, it could be just through cabletv/coax, since coax can in itself act like an antenna, it is possible they have an inline amp, possibly making it stronger.

What he is saying is someone probably is "back feeding" a signal which is going to another room in their house but also is tied (fed) to their antenna which in turn acts as a broadcast signal.

that actually happened to a friend of ours one time. The neighbor had dish network, and the remotes had the same address. It actually was kinda cool.

I get the Dish Network symbol floating around with the "press select" underneath it.
Does the DISH screen saver have a little number "1" or "2" beside the "Press Select to Continue" message? If it's a "2" then it would be from the TV2 output from a dual tuner receiver in dual mode, and if the owner of the tuner doesn't actually have a TV2 hooked up, that would explain why it is always in screensaver mode. In fact, a really easy mistake would be to just hookup the OTA antenna cable to the TV2 out connection, and presto, you'd be broadcasting your TV2 signal to the neighborhood.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)