" the wheels are falling off of satellite TV"

For home viewing 3d never caught on . At the theater 3d has come around like three times. At the theater it can be widely seen and appreciated. At home not so much. My old 2012 3 d tv is in my 17 year old sons room . It’s 50” and he prefers watching tv on his small phone . He plays video games on the tv ,but won’t use the 3 d feature.

I wasn't around for the first time in the 50s, but I remember it in the 80s, and I recall it being ok. Aside from a handful of films like Avatar, I didn't think it was significantly better this time around. I also found scenes in 2D versions of films to be obviously framed for 3D to be annoying and distracting.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I also found scenes in 2D versions of films to be obviously framed for 3D to be annoying and distracting.
Hear hear!

I remember watching the LEGO movie at home and seeing how dull and flat it was. The storyline had to carry it because it was visually bland as mush. So much is lost when they rely on this gimmick.

The only good thing about it is that I bought an LG 55EF9500 OLED which turns out to be one of the last 3D capable sets and delivers the 3D in 1080p since it is a 4K TV. I'm hoping that when I need (or more likely, wish) to upgrade, I'll get a decent price from a 3D fan.

I don't think you're looking at the right logical reasoning...
1) Glasses. Needing to put on something else in order to watch 3D? And how many do you keep? One for everyone in the household? What if you have guests?
2) Costs. Before you even get to buying the content, you've got to get the TV (and those extra glasses).
3) Quality. Just because something is made and produced in 3D doesn't mean it SHOULD. I'd say about 1/2 of the things I watch in 3D aren't really worth it. Also, what are the viewing angles on a TV? Can you be more over to the side (depending on how people have their living rooms set up affects it).
4) NOW let's get to how the content is put out.
1. I have probably 25 pair of glasses. Most of them came from the theater, included in the price of the ticket. The pair I use most are clip-on and wey less than the sunglasses I use while driving.
2. The 3D sets I have, when I bought them, were not measurably more expensive than other similar, non-3D sets.
3. Depends on personal preference. Do you walk around in real life with one eye closed because 3D isn't really worth it?
4. I bought the TV and accumulated the glasses. Content acquisition has been by far the most frustrating.

1. I have probably 25 pair of glasses. Most of them came from the theater, included in the price of the ticket. The pair I use most are clip-on and wey less than the sunglasses I use while driving.
2. The 3D sets I have, when I bought them, were not measurably more expensive than other similar, non-3D sets.
3. Depends on personal preference. Do you walk around in real life with one eye closed because 3D isn't really worth it?
4. I bought the TV and accumulated the glasses. Content acquisition has been by far the most frustrating.

2. For a while, you almost had to get a 3D set to get a good TV, so I don't see any additional cost involved. Unless you didn't need a new TV anyway.
3. That isn't what he meant, but you probably knew that. Many 3D movies were converted after the fact, and a lot of them look like crap in 3D as a result. Many of the ones which were intentionally made for 3D, look like crap too. Doing good 3D is hard and expensive, and the inferior results prove that out.

I have had 4 3D sets over the years thanks to relocation and hardware failures. I have watched 3D content on all of them. None of them are worth the effort IMHO. To each his or her own though.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
1. I thought different TVs used different type of glasses (some had to be powered, etc).
2. Not what I remember, but I'll take your word on it because I stayed away from purchasing 3D, and it had nothing to do with content cost.
3. Not what I meant. I have seen few 3D movies that I thought "wow this is AWESOME!".
4. For YOU. IMO, even if 3D content was easy to get (which still doesn't mean "good"), I don't think it (the technology) would sell well. Will people still buy it? Of course. But I don't think it would become "mainstream".

Reactions: dare2be
The truth is consumers don't really like 3d that much..it was over exposed in movie theaters...it would have been great for sports tho

I don’t care for 3D.

I get a headache watching it in movie theaters and I hate the glasses.

It’s a cool concept, but until the technology to do 3D without the glasses it will not take off.

I don’t care for 3D.

I get a headache watching it in movie theaters and I hate the glasses.

It’s a cool concept, but until the technology to do 3D without the glasses it will not take off.
On a post about Oculus VR, I said "until they get rid of the goggles, It will never be more than a commercial product". A reply was, "Are you crazy? You can't do without goggles!"

I said...."Exactly".

Have you seen that picture of Zuckerberg walking down the aisle through a sea of VR goggles?

1984.jpg

No way I am sitting there unaware as a Ninja assassin creeps up behind me.

Looks like even Directv is losing subs in large numbers. Att reported third quarter losses of 134,000 pay tv customers and 251,000 decline in satellite subs. Now they say some loss was due to Hurricane Harvey outages in both Texas and Florida . But I think this is going to keep happening . I read that they might want to merge both DISH and Directv or ATT since both are bleeding subs badly.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Looks like even Directv is losing subs in large numbers. Att reported third quarter losses of 134,000 pay tv customers and 251,000 decline in satellite subs. Now they say some loss was due to Hurricane Harvey outages in both Texas and Florida . But I think this is going to keep happening . I read that they might want to merge both DISH and Directv or ATT since both are bleeding subs badly.

Dish will never merge in with Directv and ATT.

WOW, I hope not. I would like to see DISH stand along and pickup customers.

The day dish and d* actually merge will be the day I go back to OTA tv. D*’s customer service sucks especially now that att owns them. IMO Dish is the best option for satellite/cable and they have great customer service when you talk to a CSR in the U.S

Same. I will never give ATT a penny of my money. They practice legal theft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)