" the wheels are falling off of satellite TV"

So, if they launch one every other day (unlikely), it would take about 25 years to launch them all. By then, the first half of those satellites would already be starting to fail.

Then there's this:

"potentially cluttering up the space around Earth, making future launches potentially difficult and dangerous."

I don't see it.

So, if they launch one every other day (unlikely), it would take about 25 years to launch them all. By then, the first half of those satellites would already be starting to fail.

Then there's this:

"potentially cluttering up the space around Earth, making future launches potentially difficult and dangerous."

I don't see it.
These are mini satellites that come off an assembly line. I don't know how many per launch, but SpaceX's plan is 4000 by 2020.

SpaceX plans over 7,000.

They must be expecting a HUGE number of rural subscribers, but that's after the fact. Who will fund the capital investment in the satellites and equipment? The very reason many people don't have broadband now is because companies don't see a ROI. Otherwise I'd have Comcast 150mbps in my small town.

Of course my crystal ball is too cloudy today for me to predict what will actually happen, but Elon Musk has a pretty strong history of making things happen that others said couldn't be done. I wouldn't count him out.

And for "dare2be", the satellites they'll be using are quite small, allowing for multiple unit deliveries with a single launch. This is not new technology. SpaceX is currently delivering 75 LEO satellites for voice and data satellite communications company Iridium in groups of 10 per launch.

Reactions: TheKrell
Ok, 10 per launch sounds reasonable in the time frame specified, but it still doesn't negate, and in fact exasperates the clutter problem. Future outside LEO launches would become treacherous/prohibitively expensive.

Another problem is their size. Small sats have small power supplies. How long will they last and how do you de-orbit them?

Reactions: dare2be

Then there's this:

I don't see it.
Multiple satellite payloads

They must be expecting a HUGE number of rural subscribers, but that's after the fact. Who will fund the capital investment in the satellites and equipment? The very reason many people don't have broadband now is because companies don't see a ROI. Otherwise I'd have Comcast 150mbps in my small town.
I hear people complaining that they only have local cable covering their area (monopoly by fiat) or, maybe a telecom in competition. Everything I have read says that this service will be very robust. I can see them advertising "Why pay Comcast $100 per month when you can have faster speeds and lower latency at half the price?" If their market is the whole world, that would include metro areas. Musk sees this as a cash cow to finance his Mars plans. He HAS to win to beat Bezos.

SWAG TIME

Let's see 4,425 over five years. That's 885 per year and about 17 per week. Let us "assume" that they will put up 34 per shot. Maybe. And "assume" $100M per launch. That's what, about $13B just for launch? At least double (or triple) that for the costs of the satellites, and gosh knows how much more for the ground stations.

Let's be outlandishly charitable and "assume" the system can be built out for $25B. And essentially no revenue will come in until complete, or very nearly complete.

Let's cough and say they get a million customers. $25,000 per customer to recover. Even if it were a fifth of that, it seems unreasonable. Ten million customers? Well, maybe we're getting the total per revenue unit down. But it sure seems it'll be an EXPENSIVE service.

I would have to "assume" that since they have the go ahead to proceed, someone has figured it does not present a hazard.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Are you kidding me?

Place 4000 refrigerators on the surface of the Earth. (and just on the land) and there is a whole bunch of room left over. Heck, make it 10,000 houses, and you still have taken up a miniscule area. "Gravity" was a movie.
Are you kidding me?

Those refrigerators aren't whizzing by at thousands of miles an hour in multiple directions at multiple altitudes. There would have to be quite a bit of density coverage in the sky for a particular fixed user on the ground to reach a satellite at any given moment.

You do understand LEO, right? These satellites won't be geo-stationary.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me?

Place 4000 refrigerators on the surface of the Earth. (and just on the land) and there is a whole bunch of room left over. Heck, make it 10,000 houses, and you still have taken up a miniscule area. "Gravity" was a movie.
Engineers are worried about this problem.
If we’re not careful, new satellite swarms could destroy one another
At the end of 2016, it was estimated that 1,459 operating satellites were in orbit around Earth. But that number looks set to rise quickly, as companies continue to launch swarms of smaller spacecraft. Earlier this year, for instance, Planet Labs popped 88 of its tiny satellites into space to photograph the planet below.

That shouldn't be much of a problem, you might think. After all, each of the Planet Labs satellites is small—about the size of a backpack and around nine pounds in weight. But other organizations have grander visions. SpaceX plans to launch 4,425 satellites to blanket the planet in Internet connectivity. Samsung has described how 4,600 could enable it to do a similar job, and Boeing also wants in on the idea with a 3,000-strong fleet of its own.

The prospect of these huge swarms of satellites has been keeping Hugh Lewis, from the University of Southampton in the U.K., up at night. His concern: that an increasing number of satellites in orbit increases the risk of collisions, and current rules stipulating that old satellites be brought back down within 25 years of the end of their service life won’t be enough to stop the problem from escalating out of control.

I hear people complaining that they only have local cable covering their area (monopoly by fiat) or, maybe a telecom in competition. Everything I have read says that this service will be very robust. I can see them advertising "Why pay Comcast $100 per month when you can have faster speeds and lower latency at half the price?" If their market is the whole world, that would include metro areas. Musk sees this as a cash cow to finance his Mars plans. He HAS to win to beat Bezos.

Who's paying for it? Who is providing the capital for such an ambitious project?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)