" the wheels are falling off of satellite TV"

The AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE "Connected Car" hotspot plan we use in our motorhome is $20/month. For backup, we also have a third-party "flashed" Verizon unlimited 3G only hotspot at $5/month. We stream extensively with both services, including with Dish Anywhere from the H2 at our NY lakeside cottage that uses an AT&T "Home Base" cell device for unlimited phone and 250GB 4G/LTE data at $60/mo.

The AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE "Connected Car" hotspot plan we use in our motorhome is $20/month. For backup, we also have a third-party "flashed" Verizon unlimited 3G only hotspot at $5/month. We stream extensively with both services, including with Dish Anywhere from the H2 at our NY lakeside cottage that uses an AT&T "Home Base" cell device for unlimited phone and 250GB 4G/LTE data at $60/mo.

This is a good exampe of out-of-the-box thinking and creativity to find internet access. Good work!

Reactions: bobvick and NYDutch
look for that connected car to change, just a warning

That's certainly possible of course, but with thousands of people on 2-year contracts (we're not), I don't think they'll change it too much since it was a limited time offer at that price. I am keeping an eye on it though...

Reactions: bobvick
That's certainly possible of course, but with thousands of people on 2-year contracts (we're not), I don't think they'll change it too much since it was a limited time offer at that price. I am keeping an eye on it though...
read this
Unlimited Plus hotspot change

I just read my bill and it stated the following:

NOTICE OF DEVICE ELIGIBILITY

Please note that as of 12/05/2017, AT&T Wireless Home Phone & Internet and dedicated mobile hotspot devices will no longer be eligible devices for the AT&T Unlimited Plus or AT&T Unlimited Choice plan.

Use Tmobile for unlimited hotspot
13E5C572-DD2C-4626-9088-487676804FF1.jpeg

Reactions: MikeD-C05
read this
Unlimited Plus hotspot change

I just read my bill and it stated the following:

NOTICE OF DEVICE ELIGIBILITY

Please note that as of 12/05/2017, AT&T Wireless Home Phone & Internet and dedicated mobile hotspot devices will no longer be eligible devices for the AT&T Unlimited Plus or AT&T Unlimited Choice plan.

That doesn't apply to the "Connected Car" Mobley hotspot plan. It's not one of the Unlimited Plus or Choice plans. The "Home Base" device and home phone/Internet plan at our cottage is on a special low cost "rural service" plan that's only available in a relatively few ZIP codes, although it works anywhere in the US. I understand AT&T gets some sort of tax breaks from the feds for offering it in under served rural areas like where our cottage is located in the Adirondacks.

That doesn't apply to the "Connected Car" Mobley hotspot plan. It's not one of the Unlimited Plus or Choice plans. The "Home Base" device and home phone/Internet plan at our cottage is on a special low cost "rural service" plan that's only available in a relatively few ZIP codes, although it works anywhere in the US. I understand AT&T gets some sort of tax breaks from the feds for offering it in under served rural areas like where our cottage is located in the Adirondacks.

yet

Use Tmobile for unlimited hotspot
View attachment 128729
If T-Mobile had better coverage, I might give them another try. They've gotten quite a bit better, but still lacking in many of the rural areas we often frequent. Verizon and AT&T still have a healthy lead in geographical coverage. And they still can't beat the $20 unlimited 4G/LTE plan we currently use on price either.

Yes, of course it could change! So could our Dish TV sat service or the cable TV/Internet services change at any time. Streaming content services are also constantly changing and evolving. When/if it happens and I don't like the change, I'll switch to the next best deal available at the time. Plans change all the time. Not long ago, we were paying Verizon $100/mo for a 20GB 4G/LTE plan. Now we're paying $20 for unlimited 4G/LTE, and we'll enjoy it as long as it lasts...

Reactions: littlecloud319
If T-Mobile had better coverage, I might give them another try. They've gotten quite a bit better, but still lacking in many of the rural areas we often frequent. Verizon and AT&T still have a healthy lead in geographical coverage. And they still can't beat the $20 unlimited 4G/LTE plan we currently use on price either.

I agree 100%. I only have a Verizon tower in town, so it doesn't work for me either. But it might help some people.

Yep. Keep that $20 plan as long as possible.

T-Mobile has doubled their LTE coverage over the last year or so. But you need a band 25 capable phone to take best advantage of this.

By the end of 2018, they should be nearing completion (80%?) of their 600MHz band 71 rollout. No idea where they're getting all the money for this. But that will greatly improve coverage.

There is one band 71 phone on the market now, and another due by year end. More roll out next year, including Apple (supposedly) in Q4.

I don't think there will be much complaining about T-Mobile coverage in 2019. But we gotta get from here to there.

Maine? DK.

Yep. Keep that $20 plan as long as possible.

T-Mobile has doubled their LTE coverage over the last year or so. But you need a band 25 capable phone to take best advantage of this.

By the end of 2018, they should be nearing completion (80%?) of their 600MHz band 71 rollout. No idea where they're getting all the money for this. But that will greatly improve coverage.

There is one band 71 phone on the market now, and another due by year end. More roll out next year, including Apple (supposedly) in Q4.

I don't think there will be much complaining about T-Mobile coverage in 2019. But we gotta get from here to there.

Maine? DK.

Unfortunately for those of us that live a very mobile life, T-Mobile still seems to be concentrating on improvements mainly in metropolitan areas, not in the rural areas where the state parks and other RV facilities we like tend to be located. I tried a T-Mobile hotspot plan last year, but I lost the signal so often while rolling down I-81 from upstate NY to southern VA, that I soon dumped it. And yes, it was a band 25 capable device...

As more and more people purchase 4K TVs, more and more people will demand 4K broadcasts. We are seeing that here right now. I got into HDTV in 1999. There was little HD programming available at that time and it took many years but look at where that is today.
Remember when 3D TVs were all the rage? I hope those folks gave up waiting on all the 3D programming....

3D never made it because of those stupid glasses and/or narrow watching angle. 4K TVs are a different story - a sharper picture even without 4K broadcasts. Sooner or later a cable channel will begin offering 4K programming and the competition floodgates will open. It took a while after those flat panel plasmas turned up for significant HD to appear. The beginning might be sports or Voom style programming. 4k TVs are creating the market. Geez, even Dish's SD is watchable on my 4K TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)