" the wheels are falling off of satellite TV"

And will many OTA broadcasters actually send out a 4K signal? I don't think that they will. It will make more economic sense to offer multiple HD channels (with HDR) using the same bandwidth as a single 4K channel.
How ATSC 3 Changes Broadcasting for the Better (It's Not Just 4K) - Studio Daily
As more and more people purchase 4K TVs, more and more people will demand 4K broadcasts. We are seeing that here right now. I got into HDTV in 1999. There was little HD programming available at that time and it took many years but look at where that is today.

The free market and deregulation is what caused this mess. A small handful of corporations own all the channels, and they force the providers to take the dozens of lousy channels they own to get the one or two must haves everyone wants.

The free market and deregulation is what caused this mess. A small handful of corporations own all the channels, and they force the providers to take the dozens of lousy channels they own to get the one or two must haves everyone wants.
Without the free market we would still be stuck with 13 channels on cable

Reactions: bobvick
As more and more people purchase 4K TVs, more and more people will demand 4K broadcasts. We are seeing that here right now. I got into HDTV in 1999. There was little HD programming available at that time and it took many years but look at where that is today.
But those TV's are incapable of tuning an ATSC 3.0 broadcast. You will see more on cable/sat/internet but I doubt that you will see many OTA 4K broadcasts. Broadcasters will be switching to ATSC 3.0 for the many other features of ATSC 3.0 rather than the UHD (4K) capability.

But those TV's are incapable of tuning an ATSC 3.0 broadcast. You will see more on cable/sat/internet but I doubt that you will see many OTA 4K broadcasts. Broadcasters will be switching to ATSC 3.0 for the many other features of ATSC 3.0 rather than the UHD (4K) capability.
When HDTVs first came out they had NTSC tuners. Guess what, it took ATSC tuners to get HD OTA. You were able to purchase ATSC tuners everywhere to watch HDTV on your TV. This will be no different.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Especially with ALL that channel repacking going on

Without the free market we would still be stuck with 13 channels on cable
That means you dont believe in innovation!
I urge all people to look for their selves and see how screwed up, our nothing but profit media companies control everything you hear or see!!!....With this unregulated market mess, even if the little guy got footing, he would be bought out by one of 7 mammoth corporations!

Over and over.....Look no farther than the latest ATT/Direct merger to start!

But ‘we’ don’t represent the huge number of viewers IMO.

Free ride my ass. I pay CenturyLink $50 per month for my uncapped 10/1 DSL. How the hell is that a free ride? Sounds like someone has swallowed the BS line that the mega corps are feeding him.

$50 bucks a month is a pittance compared to what some pay. The free ride is the uncapped part. Check the prices for some of the satellite internet like $130 a month for 50 GB's from Hughesnet. You actually think they're going to give you uncapped service forever for 50 lousy bucks a month? :oldlaugh

And I don't really don't know what your ass or hell has to do with it.

Reactions: bobvick
unless they dereg it like elec and phone
where any provider can use the infrastructure, with a fee to the builder of course
never was 100% sure how all that works

Electricity is not deregulated everywhere only in certain states.
It is not deregulated in Alabama.
In the county I live in historically, if you are in city limits, Alabama Power (Southern Company) supplies power.
If you live in an unincorporated area of the county, an electric cooperative, in our case Tombigbee Electric, provides power.
That has changed over time, as city limits have extended, they have taken in some of the co-op customers.

$50 bucks a month is a pittance compared to what some pay. The free ride is the uncapped part. Check the prices for some of the satellite internet like $130 a month for 50 GB's from Hughesnet. You actually think they're going to give you uncapped service forever for 50 lousy bucks a month? :oldlaugh

And I don't really don't know what your ass or hell has to do with it.

I pay CenturyLink $50 for 4.0/512 service fastest I can get.
Then pay HughesNet over $100 as a backup, and AT&T over $300 per month for multiple lines, and WiFi hotspots that I need.
If our coop ever gets fiber here as planned it will save me a fortune.

Reactions: JSheridan
I pay CenturyLink $50 for 4.0/512 service fastest I can get.
Then pay HughesNet over $100 as a backup, and AT&T over $300 per month for multiple lines, and WiFi hotspots that I need.
If our coop ever gets fiber here as planned it will save me a fortune.

You're lucky you're in a coop. That keeps the vultures at bay at least. :)

Reactions: TheKrell
havnet heard anything from my coop about fiber :(
well other than what they ran for thier switching stations

But the sat cos. are already playing both sides of the street. DircTV and Dish are well positioned as OTT pay-TV services. This is exactly way Charlie and later DirecTV started SlingTV and the NOW service, respectively. It does not really matter that sat sees losses because the same companies get some of the same folks who leave SatTV. It is not as if either sat Co is going out of business as long as they also have the OTT pay services.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)