The White House wants your opinion on The DTV Delay ACT Bill

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If a significant number of people arent switched over in the next four months this bill will look pretty bad. I do wonder how many people that procrastinated over the last year or more will switch in the next four months.

To be fair because of the economy things harder for some... hence the underfunded coupon program. Maybe more than just some, I dont know. But if TV is that important to someone then the up front cost for some kind of converter is low ($50 for some models based on a quick Google search). For those that do have the means, LCD's have been so dirt cheap for months that they could go get one tomorrow if need be.

Oh one last thing about the coupons. If I understand it right the program cannot give out more until other coupons expire. I suppose that means those that expire simply did so because people said forget it and just got a new TV... but did not cancel the coupon because it would just be free money.
The other threads on this topic predict little change in 4 months; we'll still have about the same number of folks unprepared. I tend to agree. For some, the only way they'll change is when the analog plug is finally pulled! The converter boxes are cheap enough to be sure. The feds could relax the welfare rules to allow expenditure (1-time) for a converter if need be. But for some folks it will take more than just that box! Regarding coupons, I'm guessing a fair number of folks applied for them just because they could, whether they planned to actually use them or not. Not exactly free money if unused, but clogging the system just the same. Maybe some planned to scalp them...!

Does anybody know if stations can reduce power on their analog transmissions to save money, as they wait for the "next" transition deadline?
They could have an "accident" with a couple of klystrons and achieve the same result. Anyone have a number for "Guido and the boys"...?

Does anybody know if stations can reduce power on their analog transmissions to save money, as they wait for the "next" transition deadline?
I think that ANY change they make has to be applied for and approved by the FCC. If a station wanted to reduce their output to 500w, the FCC wouldn't allow it !! :D If they wanted to go from say 100kW to 25-50kW, that might be allowed.

Sadly, we'll never know the "vote" that was submitted by people who responded to their so-called "public comment" on this issue. I posted this somewhere else already.... The typical person who will respond to the White House's request is most likely already "ready" for the shut-off. How many that aren't ready are tech-savvy enough to go comment ?

I have heard through the grape vine that area broadcasters in my state plan to kill analog on the original date... it is costing them tons of money to be running both transmitters at full power.
You heard it through the grapevine ? If they plan to shut off on Feb 17th still, it's on record with the FCC.

The old date is less than a week away and several stations (MANY stations) have decided to maintain analog until 6/12. He backed himself into the position of, "well... I understand you wanted it to go as planned, but the stations weren't ready for it... they need the extra time until June as much as the elderly and those who didn't prepare." If he decides against it at this point and doesn't sign the bill, it will lead to even more confusion and chaos than they would have had if they left well enough alone.

When they first started this crazy talk about delay, I told one my co-workers; if they push it back once, it won't completely happen until 2010. It will be pushed off again in June...

Stations turning on a "night light" basically leave their analog TV signal active for another 30 days, but the programming on it is replaced with a static slate informing viewers about channel's programming being digital only and where they can look for more information about DTV.

Many stations are not turning on a night light. They're just ending the analog broadcast entirely.

WKRG here in Mobile has put up a constant crawl on the screen that basically says if you are reading this you need to upgrade. That's another type of "night light" I guess.

They could have an "accident" with a couple of klystrons and achieve the same result. Anyone have a number for "Guido and the boys"...?

I gather such accidents may have already happened. Too many of those transmitters are antiques with shallow parts support.

Local PBS station's analog transmitter mysteriously caught fire, now they are digital only, no hassle and it saved them a lot of money.

It looks like only our NBC affiliate will keep the analog transmitter lit up after 2/17. I guess they figure that's one way to get people to watch NBC programming.

Seems like a lot of the analog transmitters are suddenly experiencing significant 'events'! A conspiracy, methinks....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)