The Wings and The Joe ?

Rob7

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Traverse City, MI
There have been rumors for some time that there might be a new home in the future for the Wings. Now, the Illitch Family says they will not renew the lease for the Joe and while some of this may be posturing ....... it is interesting to think about a new modern building to house the Red Wings.

There have been rumors for some time that there might be a new home in the future for the Wings. Now, the Illitch Family says they will not renew the lease for the Joe and while some of this may be posturing ....... it is interesting to think about a new modern building to house the Red Wings.

Yes, this has been discussed for many years now ....

There was talk of building a new Wings home , behind the Hockeytown Cafe/ Fox Theatre area, which would make all the sense in the world, seeing it's across the street from Comerica and Ford Field.

I haven't seen anything in writing/type about it in quite some time thou.

Jimbo

It feels like just yesterday that they closed the Olympia.

That makes me feel old! :eek:

It feels like just yesterday that they closed the Olympia.

That makes me feel old! :eek:
Yep, my first Red Wings game was at the Red Barn against the Canadiens. Heck, my sister is nine years older and I completely forget she used to work the consession stand at the Olympia for a couple seasons back when she was a teenager. As a Comerica branch manager and employee the past 35 years (formerly Bank of the Commonwealth before they were acquired...for those who remember) she has a wall full of autographed photos of Red Wings who have transacted business in her branch office.

Anyway, as much as I love The Joe I am not against building a new arena in the space Jimbo mentioned. Heck, we all know downtown Detroit could use the contruction business.

Right now the wings are not in the best spot for a new area with the current economic times. Unless Mr. Illitch would want to pay for the arena out of his own pocket and we know that will not happen (amazing that the late Pistons owner Bill Davidson did that, you dont ever see that)

Plus with arena needing sponserships and suites for businesses it would not be happening with all that is going on in the state right now. Everyone who has been there knows the arena was not built in the best way (real steep steps climbing to your seats, bad sight lines, and also the press box was "Forgot" and not built in untill after the area was completed) I think they will work on a short term lease and cross there fingers that the state is in somewhat better shape in a few more years

Right now the wings are not in the best spot for a new area with the current economic times. Unless Mr. Illitch would want to pay for the arena out of his own pocket and we know that will not happen (amazing that the late Pistons owner Bill Davidson did that, you dont ever see that)

Plus with arena needing sponserships and suites for businesses it would not be happening with all that is going on in the state right now. Everyone who has been there knows the arena was not built in the best way (real steep steps climbing to your seats, bad sight lines, and also the press box was "Forgot" and not built in untill after the area was completed) I think they will work on a short term lease and cross there fingers that the state is in somewhat better shape in a few more years

I think it will be worked on in another 5 years or so, as you say, now is not the time with the economy the way it is.
I bet Comerica is a sponsor as well ...
They better not name it a Corporate name, at least I HOPE not.

They should/could name it "Hockeytown" :up

Detroit is obviously the hub of the current economic mess, and that mess, IMHO, is going to get worse rather than better for some time to come. However. Detroit is still the 11th largest DMA in the country and the 11th largest SMSA in the country (and neither of those measures count people across the border in nearby Ontario), and it clearly has the highest %age of hockey fans relative to other places.

An arena deal will be worked out.

Any deal with the city of Detroit will be a short term lease, I believe Ilitch is set on a new arena. Something with more suites. As for who will pay for it, well most of Comerica Park came out of Ilitch's pocket, and so will a new arena. Ilitch is 80 yrs. old and wants to leave his mark on the city of Detroit. BTW, Detroit and Phoenix are the only cities in the USA with 4 separate facilities for their sports teams.

They better not use tax payers money for it.

I think the only taxpayer money used on Comerica Park was for infra-structure around the stadium. The land that Ilitch would like to use for a new arena is majority owned by the City of Detroit, and suitable infra-structure improvements would be needed there also. Mr. Ilitch has done a lot to improve downtown Detroit. He may be the biggest single investor there. I for one wouldn't have any problem's with whatever he decides to build downtown. The man has been very good to Detroit.

I think the only taxpayer money used on Comerica Park was for infra-structure around the stadium. The land that Ilitch would like to use for a new arena is majority owned by the City of Detroit, and suitable infra-structure improvements would be needed there also. Mr. Ilitch has done a lot to improve downtown Detroit. He may be the biggest single investor there. I for one wouldn't have any problem's with whatever he decides to build downtown. The man has been very good to Detroit.

That's cool.

I would like them to build a new arena in which people don't block the camera when they stand up to watch the action. Whose idea was that?

When something exciting happens they have to switch to a different (worse) camera angle. In all the venues of all the major sports, that's the only place where it happens.

Sandra

I would like them to build a new arena in which people don't block the camera when they stand up to watch the action. Whose idea was that?

When something exciting happens they have to switch to a different (worse) camera angle. In all the venues of all the major sports, that's the only place where it happens.

Sandra

I remember that happening in the old Montreal Forum all the time. It was so annoying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)