The word"Penetration" used in sports

ehren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Wisconsin
Ok I work at a Pharmacy and ever since my co-worker mentioned this word overused in sports it has bugged me ever since hearing all these sports commentators mentioning the word

"Dribble Penetration" or "Penetrated The Defense"

ok...WTF DOES THIS MEAN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

My now ex co-worker thankfully now is also a female lacrosse player. She wasn't much for penetration in her own life but she has ruined me now. ARGGGGGGHHHHH

I prefer to use the term "gashing the defense," like "the running back gashed through the defense for a big gain."

You could also use terms like sliced or slashed.

It seems that a word or phrase is found in the dictionary and its used in every sentence every sport as to say "Look what I can say now"

The announcers get one of those "Big words for the day" calendars and forget to change the page. ;)

Hm. didn't "dribble penetration" used to be called "driving the lane" such as "Kobe drives the lane and puts in a running one-hander"?

Just one of those locker-room phrases that the sports "journalism" world loves to rehash endlessly so they can show the fans that they're "on the inside."

When I was studying athletic training in college, it usually meant one of two things:

1. In the process of fixing a injury, (open or closed, putting medication and/or bandages on the injury)

2. Trying to push and/or cut with a sharp object a hard to open package to get the product out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)