The YouTube TV Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I now have the option of selecting the VOD version or recorded version of one of my DVR'd shows. Unfortunately, this feature isn't what I had hoped, as certain networks (like Fox and NBC I found so far) still force you to watch the VoD version of certain shows (see image below). I tried the technique of starting to watch a recording soon after the airing, so I can continue to have access to the recorded version (to resume my viewing of it), but that option seems to disappear as well after a period of time.

YTTV_recording_options_Gotham_Fox.jpg

I now have the option of selecting the VOD version or recorded version of one of my DVR'd shows. Unfortunately, this feature isn't what I had hoped, as certain networks (like Fox and NBC I found so far) still force you to watch the VoD version of certain shows (see image below). I tried the technique of starting to watch a recording soon after the airing, so I can continue to have access to the recorded version (to resume my viewing of it), but that option seems to disappear as well after a period of time.

View attachment 132512

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. When I saw that they were going to give us a choice I was excited but now I see that the choice doesn't actually matter since the shows still force you to watch VOD. It's really only useful in the first week when the DVR version is still available.

I've confirmed doing a search of the show's name with "recording" brings up the recorded version of a show that has otherwise been switched with the VoD version. I've checked with a Fox show and NBC show on PC browser, but haven't tried yet on a TV-connected device.

Reactions: Ronnie-
I've confirmed doing a search of the show's name with "recording" brings up the recorded version of a show that has otherwise been switched with the VoD version. I've checked with a Fox show and NBC show on PC browser, but haven't tried yet on a TV-connected device.

Update: I've tested on Roku, and it works there is well. In fact, it remembered the search term "Gotham recording" that I had typed on PC browser, so I didn't have to retype the whole thing on the Roku remote.

Reactions: king3pj
I'm finding this new feature to choose your recording option is actually more restrictive. For the first two episodes of the new season of Legion on FX, I was able to watch my recording as usual the day after it aired. Now with this new feature, I'm prompted to choose my recording option, but the recording version that would allow me to fast-forward (even within 24 hours) is grayed out the message "FX has restricted access to this recording ... " Same thing with new episodes of the Expanse of SyFy. In less than 24 hours, I can't watch the recorded version and am forced to watch the VoD version with commercials.

If YTTV ever patches the work around of doing a search of the show's title with "recording," I'm out.

I'm finding this new feature to choose your recording option is actually more restrictive. For the first two episodes of the new season of Legion on FX, I was able to watch my recording as usual the day after it aired. Now with this new feature, I'm prompted to choose my recording option, but the recording version that would allow me to fast-forward (even within 24 hours) is grayed out the message "FX has restricted access to this recording ... " Same thing with new episodes of the Expanse of SyFy. In less than 24 hours, I can't watch the recorded version and am forced to watch the VoD version with commercials.

If YTTV ever patches the work around of doing a search of the show's title with "recording," I'm out.

YTTV already “fixed” the New Episodes section forcing you to watch VOD when they added folders grouping all new episodes of the same show together. Anything in the new episodes section used to play the DVR version of the recording until it dropped off after a few days before the update.

If I was a betting person, I’d say the searching the show+recording loophole will be “fixed” in a future update.

I was very excited when they rolled out the option to choose between DVR and VOD to me a few weeks ago. I believed it would solve all the problems. Unfortunately, on most recordings I watch, I actually don’t have a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good overview on the restrictions YouTube TV started imposing on its DVR. YouTube TV's incredible shrinking DVR | TechHive

The workaround to add "recording" to a title search is no longer working for me to pull up my recorded shows. I only get the VoD version now with forced commercials. I'm officially shopping for a new service and haven't ruled out going back to cable. I'm getting tired of workarounds and waiting for shows to come to Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc., if I want to avoid commercials.

Good overview on the restrictions YouTube TV started imposing on its DVR. YouTube TV's incredible shrinking DVR | TechHive

The workaround to add "recording" to a title search is no longer working for me to pull up my recorded shows. I only get the VoD version now with forced commercials. I'm officially shopping for a new service and haven't ruled out going back to cable. I'm getting tired of workarounds and waiting for shows to come to Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc., if I want to avoid commercials.

Yes recording workaround is not working for me too. I tried “The American” from FX and it showing only VOD version. I am thinking about cancel my trail run with YTTV and stick with Vue.

Yes recording workaround is not working for me too. I tried “The American” from FX and it showing only VOD version. I am thinking about cancel my trail run with YTTV and stick with Vue.

Did you get a full commercial break with multiple commercials each time? I watched my first forced VOD show last night, Legion on FX, and I only got 15 second commercial breaks. I'm wondering if it was something particular with that network.

Finally decided to stick with YTTV. I have been with Vue for more than 2 years. Even though I had a good run with Vue finally decided to cancel it and stick with YTTV after two months of testing. Planning to add Philo along with YTTV.

I read an article yesterday that was linked to elsewhere on satelliteguys.us by CSM that indicated that PSVue's future is uncertain.

I relay it in this thread because the article also showed that YTTV is currently estimated to lose $60,000,000 a year. I figure that's probably upwards of $100/customer per year. This seems unlikely to continue and once they've reached their subscriber goals, the monthly fee could go up significantly in order to make the venture worthwhile.

That's pure industry analyst speculation. Who knows what kind of deals YTTV has in place with content providers that may involve sharing advertising revenues or consumer data. I'm not saying they don't lose money or that prices won't go up (and they always will for cable and satellite too), but there's no reason to sound the doom-and-gloom alarm at this point. As the source article for this speculation states re: $60 million, “That’s not even a rounding error for Alphabet." YouTube TV losing $60M a year with ‘no obvious path to not losing money,’ analyst says | FierceCable

Regarding Vue, it was reported elsewhere that Sony gets other value from its money-losing PS Vue service in the form of consumer data of viewer preferences and trends, which helps them in their planning for new films and video games. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Vue be the first OTT live TV service to fold just because of Sony's terrible trackrecord with supporting new products/services. And PS Vue is a case-study in typical Sony hubris-fueled marketing/PR missteps.

I read an article yesterday that was linked to elsewhere on satelliteguys.us by CSM that indicated that PSVue's future is uncertain.

I relay it in this thread because the article also showed that YTTV is currently estimated to lose $60,000,000 a year. I figure that's probably upwards of $100/customer per year. This seems unlikely to continue and once they've reached their subscriber goals, the monthly fee could go up significantly in order to make the venture worthwhile.

There is another link in the one you posted-

The $40 per month YouTube TV charges doesn't even cover the cost of licensing and delivery, and Juenger estimates the company loses about $5 per subscriber as it tries to hoover up streaming market share.

So all Google has to to do is raise the price $10 a month to make a profit, still a lot cheaper then cable/sat with no extra fees and box charges.

That's pure industry analyst speculation. Who knows what kind of deals YTTV has in place with content providers that may involve sharing advertising revenues or consumer data. I'm not saying they don't lose money or that prices won't go up (and they always will for cable and satellite too), but there's no reason to sound the doom-and-gloom alarm at this point. As the source article for this speculation states re: $60 million, “That’s not even a rounding error for Alphabet." YouTube TV losing $60M a year with ‘no obvious path to not losing money,’ analyst says | FierceCable

Regarding Vue, it was reported elsewhere that Sony gets other value from its money-losing PS Vue service in the form of consumer data of viewer preferences and trends, which helps them in their planning for new films and video games. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Vue be the first OTT live TV service to fold just because of Sony's terrible trackrecord with supporting new products/services. And PS Vue is a case-study in typical Sony hubris-fueled marketing/PR missteps.
I think if PS Vue or any other OTT service shuts down the satellite cheer squad will be out in force.

I don't get why they wouldn't want OTT services to stay relatively cheap and in business. It can only help getting cable and satellite to change.

I have Dish and the flex pack. That doesn't mean I want any OTT services to fail or add fees. Some people here can't wait for that to happen. I have no idea why that is.

Any idea why that is?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Zookster
I think if PS Vue or any other OTT service shuts down the satellite cheer squad will be out in force.

I don't get why they wouldn't want OTT services to stay relatively cheap and in business. It can only help getting cable and satellite to change.

I have Dish and the flex pack. That doesn't mean I want any OTT services to fail or add fees. Some people here can't wait for that to happen. I have no idea why that is.

Any idea why that is?

Good question. It never occurred to me to troll the satellite TV forums to highlight any perceived shortcomings or cheer the drops in cable TV subscriber numbers in those forums. I'd have serious concerns about my dad's emotional well-being if Dish Network ever went under.

So all Google has to to do is raise the price $10 a month to make a profit, still a lot cheaper then cable/sat with no extra fees and box charges.
Assuming that YTTV has no intentions to expand the breadth of their offering, making only $5 isn't perhaps worth the effort. I think the price will jump more than $10/month and when they figure out why they're not winning more customers by giving it away, they'll add some services that they're apparently missing and raise the cost a little more.

As Zookster points out, Alphabet is not particularly forthcoming about the financials and third parties have speculated a lot; perhaps without a complete understanding of all of the components.

I don't see it that way. If people are willing to suffer OTT to save money, let it happen. The message in the tea leaves is pretty clear and all the incumbents need to be mindful that these other options are becoming more and more of a threat. It doesn't matter if they're viable in the long term or not.

On the content provider's side I see more fronts on which they have to do battle and more carriers trying to negotiate for Most Favored Nation status. If 12 organizations are trying to beat them down versus 8, that's more votes for the idea that they're charging too much. Alternatively maybe the content providers will see a certain wisdom in going direct and decide that a middle man isn't worth the effort (although I'm pretty sure this isn't the case).

I don't see it that way. If people are willing to suffer OTT to save money, let it happen. The message in the tea leaves is pretty clear and all the incumbents need to be mindful that these other options are becoming more and more of a threat. It doesn't matter if they're viable in the long term or not.

On the content provider's side I see more fronts on which they have to do battle and more carriers trying to negotiate for Most Favored Nation status. If 12 organizations are trying to beat them down versus 8, that's more votes for the idea that they're charging too much. Alternatively maybe the content providers will see a certain wisdom in going direct and decide that a middle man isn't worth the effort (although I'm pretty sure this isn't the case).
Suffer really? Brother that's your opinion. I get it your not into OTT services. You can't wait for them to fail or raise prices right.

My grandmother loves her DirecTV Now. That's all that matters to me. She is happy. She's not suffering.

Reactions: spencer7779
YouTube TV's biggest stumbling block to greatly expanding its user base (and thus quelling suggestions that it's doomed as a money loser) is that it limits itself to markets where it can provide most of, if not all, of the local affiliates. This is where PS Vue stumbled badly. Last fall, they dropped the reduced Slim package pricing in areas that didn't have all or most of its locals on the promise it would be adding them sooner than later. But thanks in part to the Sinclair merger debacle, not only are they not fulfilling that promise, places that once had all their locals are losing one or two. I lost my Fox, which pushed me into finally giving YTTV a shot after 20 otherwise satisfied months with Vue.

As far as the future of OTT, whatever the complaints people have about these various services, I very rarely hear of someone in the many cord-cutter groups I'm active in going back to cable or satellite after trying them out. And the ones who do go back are usually much older folk and/or people who got offered a sweetheart (limited time) deal to come back. And speaking of my groups, I was quite surprised with how few of the YTTV folk were troubled by the recently implemented DVR restrictions. Most just loved, loved, loved the service and got tired of hearing the complaints from us cranky old men who'd grown accustomed to the standard cable/sat DVR functions over the past 15+ years.

Suffer? Vue blows away anything Satellite or Cable can offer