The YouTube TV Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
How do they determine which locals you are eligible for? Is it like Sling, which looks at your ISP’s location?

It’s ISP location and/or GPS location if available. In my case it worked out well because the neighboring market is closer to me geographically and my ISP ip comes from that market. When I signed up it recognized that DMA as my location, so I get a different set of locals on YouTube TV. Locals do change as you move around though. You can only record from your assigned locals, but if you visit another DMA their locals are available for viewing if they are on YouTube TV

Basically every channel is just a “live” YouTube feed with a similar URL. I actually have bookmarked many of the stations so I can click and go directly to them. Even in that case it checks your location before giving access to local stations though. I wish there was a way around that. You can “spoof” your location on Android devices without a VPN to view other locals, but I haven’t found a good way on my PC or iPhone.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
It takes 5-10 seconds to reach full resolution when switching channels on my Roku 4 watching YouTube tv.
Sling TV the resolution is reached instantly.

It takes 5-10 seconds to reach full resolution when switching channels on my Roku 4 watching YouTube tv.
Sling TV the resolution is reached instantly.

I'm not seeing that on my Roku Premiere+ but it is taking longer for each channel to load than it did with PS Vue. I'll take these kinds of delays over constant buffering any day, which I have yet to encounter.

I'm not seeing that on my Roku Premiere+ but it is taking longer for each channel to load than it did with PS Vue. I'll take these kinds of delays over constant buffering any day, which I have yet to encounter.

Same delay of resolution on my other 4 and my Roku 3. I recall PlayStation Vue on my Amazon Fire TV went instant resolution when switching channels.
I really wish Amazon and Google would stop their pissing contest and work out a deal.
YouTube TV has all my locals and carries all channels I need when I cut the cord. At $35 it’s a bargain especially with the dvr.
I had PlayStation Vue last year and really liked it but had no locals and still doesn’t.

Same delay of resolution on my other 4 and my Roku 3. I recall PlayStation Vue on my Amazon Fire TV went instant resolution when switching channels.
I really wish Amazon and Google would stop their pissing contest and work out a deal.
YouTube TV has all my locals and carries all channels I need when I cut the cord. At $35 it’s a bargain especially with the dvr.
I had PlayStation Vue last year and really liked it but had no locals and still doesn’t.

Playing around with it this morning with the "Stats for Nerds" screen up, I did see the delay in reaching full resolution after tuning to a new channel. 5-10 seconds like you said. But it wasn't like the picture was so fuzzy or pixelated it was obvious to me last night (I thought the slightly softer image I saw at times was just that particular channel, show, or commercial). At any rate, since I don't really channel surf or flip channels with these OTT live TV services, it's really a non-factor—no different than dealing with Netflix video loading times. I'm also assuming YouTube TV's loading times will get better with time. PS Vue made huge improvements in that area over the 18 months I had it.

Playing around with it this morning with the "Stats for Nerds" screen up, I did see the delay in reaching full resolution after tuning to a new channel. 5-10 seconds like you said. But it wasn't like the picture was so fuzzy or pixelated it was obvious to me last night (I thought the slightly softer image I saw at times was just that particular channel, show, or commercial). At any rate, since I don't really channel surf or flip channels with these OTT live TV services, it's really a non-factor—no different than dealing with Netflix video loading times. I'm also assuming YouTube TV's loading times will get better with time. PS Vue made huge improvements in that area over the 18 months I had it.

I’m sure it will get better over time.
The weird thing between my Roku 3 and my two Roku 4s is that I can move through the menu while a video playing on the 3 but only move around the guide on the 4.
The other thing about the resolution on the 3 is not as noticeable on both the 4’s. On the 4s just before it goes to full resolution the screen will blank for a split second.
It seems the 3 is more ready than the 4 which is still not one of the newer Rokus but is newer than the 3 by at least a year or two.

I was a little disappointed with the quality of a college basketball game I watched last night on CBS Sports Network. I didn't bother checking the framerate (partly because it was pretty obvious), but it reminded me of checking out sports during my first trial with PS Vue on my PS3 in spring 2016. It was poor enough that I opted not to make the switch from cable at the time. It wasn't until a couple months later when I saw how sports looked on PS4 I decided it was good enough to cut the cord.

Did anyone else get a "not authorized to view content" error message in the NBC Sports app using YouTube TV login credentials? I was able to login no problem with my YouTube TV login credentials, but when I attempted to launch any Olympic coverage I always got that message.

Did anyone else get a "not authorized to view content" error message in the NBC Sports app using YouTube TV login credentials? I was able to login no problem with my YouTube TV login credentials, but when I attempted to launch any Olympic coverage I always got that message.

UPDATE: I contacted my NBC affiliate through Facebook, and my problem has been escalated to NBC Universal digital content techs, with whom I'm in email contact. After further troubleshooting, I can't get a live stream on my local affiliate's app or the NBC network app either -- on Roku, FireTV, and Android.

It looks like I picked a bad month to cancel my PS Vue subscription (after 20 consecutive months) to try YouTube TV.

I can tolerate a price increase with the addition of those channels, as it will still be a much better deal than Vue for me. I trust TBS, TNT, and TruTV will be added in time for March Madness. But who knows if this CordCutters article has any basis in reality at this point.

I was hedging about going back to Vue after my first month with YouTube TV after I realized it didn't have MLB, NBA, NFL networks either. It still won't have NFL it sounds like, but as long as any live NFL games are available on one of the major networks or Amazon Prime like last season, I can cope.

After a full 10 days with YouTube TV, my biggest complaints are a slightly softer picture on my Roku than I get with PS Vue on Roku or PS4. And I'm also starting to get limited commercials on new CW show episodes, but not a deal-breaker for me. My biggest positives are ABSOLUTELY ZERO BUFFERING, and I get the Tennis Channel with YouTube TV!

Yeah, cordcutters is not the most reliable source, but I have seen this same article in other places. If the info is correct, the channels go live tomorrow, and the price increase is for customers that sign up after march 13. According to the reports, current customers may keep the current 35 price, at least for a while.

We shall see.

Hmm... I was planning to sign up to one of these services in time for March Madness. Now I'm wondering if I should start my free trial a month early to try to lock myself in at $35. I guess it all depends on how long they are going to keep people grandfathered in at that price.

Hmm... I was planning to sign up to one of these services in time for March Madness. Now I'm wondering if I should start my free trial a month early to try to lock myself in at $35. I guess it all depends on how long they are going to keep people grandfathered in at that price.

I'm planning to try out the Youtube service for my office once baseball season starts. Even though I have MLB.tv, I don't share it at work. So if Youtube has the "Regional sports Alternate" feeds, I'll probably switch from Sling to them. DTV Now doesn't (or didn't) carry the Alternate RSN feeds last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts