The YouTube TV Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Is there an actual "channel" list for YouTube TV like the other services have?

I've not yet tried a trial. Is it that YYTV works differently and you choose by show instead of channel?

Is "live tv" available on YYTV?

Live is relative. Linear is probably a better term. You can watch a "channel" (i.e. Food Network) for hours on end and you'll move normally from one show to the next in the schedule as you might with cable, DBS or OTA. It will perhaps be delayed behind other distribution forms by as much as 50 seconds. It isn't as if you have to choose everything you watch or go into binge mode to keep the content coming as you would with Netflix or similar.

I've not yet tried a trial. Is it that YYTV works differently and you choose by show instead of channel?

Yes, YouTube TV is a live TV service by almost everyone else's definition of live TV. Though the signal can be delayed by up to 30-40 seconds compared to OTA (depending on your network and device). YouTube TV has a live TV channel guide that, unlike the other services, is fully customizable (the channels you choose to include and their order).

Regardless of what their ad hype for enterprise use says, if it is taking the better part of a minute to get YTTV content out to the viewers, no speed records are being threatened.
Just to be clear, at least half or more of that delay is client side; it’s a necessary byproduct of rate-adaptive streaming. The client needs to be able to fetch enough seconds of content to keep the stream going, and down-select lower bitrate streams if the buffer isn’t able to be populated on schedule. By definition, filling a buffer means the playback must be behind the most current available video segment.

In theory you could dial that back to be just a second or two of end-to-end delay compared to satellite, but rather than being rate-adaptive and resilient, any loss or jitter anywhere in the path would result in complete breakdown of fluid video. The DirecTV Genie/mini and Dish Hopper/Joey are great examples of that model — dial back buffering to an absolute minimum because the local network is predictable enough.

Services like YoutubeTV are targeting Internet (especially mobile wireless) delivery, so the clients are programmed to be appropriately conservative.

Yes, there is a channel list/guide that has a degree of customization.

And also yes, live tv is available with YTTV.

Regardless of what their ad hype for enterprise use says, if it is taking the better part of a minute to get YTTV content out to the viewers, no speed records are being threatened.

OK. I somehow missed that was your point, and not comparing actual capacity to deliver, of which Google has plenty of spare capacity. Given my own experience with Amazon's live streaming products, I wasn't all that impressed. We switched to Limelight once it became clear what it cost to get what we needed out of Amazon. Google's product was what the technologists wanted due to the ease of integration (APIs, etc), but Limelight had better analytics, so the business people chose them. Go figure. This was especially surprising to me as we were DoubleClick and Google Apps customers already.

30-40 second delay doesn't seem unreasonable given my experience with other live streaming platforms.

Well You Tube TV passed the wife test, with no prompting from me she noticed how much better the picture looked, she did not even know I was not on Vue, she just went “wow that looks a lot better, what did you do” to me.

Looks like a switch for us.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: TheKrell
Yeah I know that every now and then that Roku runs a promo when you buy one of their devices they will throw a free month of Youtube TV. I can see in the near future at some point that all Tv providers will moving to streaming this way they can do away will all of the hardware plus less overhead.

I can see in the near future at some point that all Tv providers will moving to streaming this way they can do away will all of the hardware plus less overhead.

Not until all rural areas are served by broadband. I had a conversation with a senior business account representative at Verizon yesterday who told me they intend to roll out their home broadband "5G" service to ALL of their towers in the near future. If this is true, that would mean the end of slow or no broadband in rural areas.

As it was explained to me, there is little or no in-the-home labor cost to Verizon because the home broadband modems are plug and play. There is no infrastructure cost for fiber or home wiring because the delivery is cellular. The only cost to Verizon would be the transmitter cells on the tower and the cost to bring sufficient backhaul to the tower.

He also told me that existing Verizon customers pay only $59.99 for the "5G" home broadband service. I'm very excited about prospects of this service.

Last edited:
I can see in the near future at some point that all Tv providers will moving to streaming this way they can do away will all of the hardware plus less overhead.
I don't think the model works for everything. There's one key problem that harshness alluded to earlier:

I expect that the whole unicast thing is going to start hurting badly as the number of those streaming increases and they're going to have to come up with something more localized or, heaven forbid, support buffering in the streaming devices. I know they'd love to multicast, but I think the cow is out of the barn with respect to pausing live TV.

Turning live broadcast TV into unicast feeds is insanely inefficient. The amount of head-end infrastructure capacity needs to scale linearly with the number of active screens (not subscribers), so there's a threshold where streaming becomes more expensive to content providers, and costs continue to grow without an upper cap. In the long term, streaming will be more expensive than satellite or cable because the infrastructure costs are higher at scale.

Now to steer this back to YoutubeTV: if I think streaming is going to be more expensive long-term, and I think it's hugely wasteful from a resources standpoint, why am I using YoutubeTV (and a bunch of other streaming services)? For me it comes down to 3 key benefits: better user interface, use-anywhere convenience, and video quality. DirecTV (satellite) started to go down the path of use-anywhere convenience, but the mobile app has gone sideways or declined since the ATT takeover.

Say I want to check the score of a game while I'm out running errands. On the DirecTV mobile app, I have to open the app, select the "Watch on phone" tab, then select the guide, then scroll to the channel guide, then find the channel the game is airing on, then hope it authenticates and starts streaming. That process blows. It's a terrible user experience. Meanwhile on the Youtube TV app, when I pop open the app, it already knows what teams I want to follow, and if one of my teams is playing right away on the home page it gives me the option to start watching that game. It doesn't matter what channel it's on (NBC, NBCSN, FOX Sports North, FOX Sports North+, whatever) -- I don't have to care about that. Even better, Youtube has started to pull in live stats for major sports leagues, so they can do things like index key plays in the game so you can jump straight to those video moments: https://live.staticflickr.com/7850/47540999362_7f7913b8be_c.jpg Incidentally enough, it appears YoutubeTV is also using the game stats data to automatically extend game recordings that go beyond their broadcast timeslots. Since they know the game stats are still accumulating, they keep the recording going.

The biggest reason I'm starting to transition over to YoutubeTV is video quality. I don't know if DirecTV video quality is getting worse, or I just notice it more as I upgrade to bigger and better TVs, but the quality upgrade from streaming is pretty substantial. Here are a couple pictures I took last night of the Boston/Toronto game using DirecTV (C51 client in Native mode, sourced from HR44 DVR) and YoutubeTV (AppleTV 4k) on a LG OLED65B7P (2017 model) display. You have to look past the inherent issues of taking pictures of a TV to show video quality, but it's pretty obvious there are far more compression artifacts with DirecTV.

DirecTV: https://live.staticflickr.com/7874/33712441738_d30851f0f3_o.jpg
YoutubeTV: https://live.staticflickr.com/7818/40623425183_2f4ae976a5_o.jpg

Notice the text around the period clock. On the DirecTV feed you can clearly see compression jaggies around the text, while the YoutubeTV output has crisp text output. Also notice that once players start moving quickly, on DirecTV they start to become a human-shaped blob of mpeg compression goo.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
The YTTV image looks like it has been passed through an "oil painting" filter. Everyone uses their own secret recipe and each recipe has its advocates but I'm not a fan of the punched up color and contrast along with the oil paint treatment.

I've never been a fan of DIRECTV's secret formula either but it was very popular with on or off contrast ratio types.

Streaming quality has an advantage vs satellite and cable. 1080p looks much better than interlaced 1080i. I've always been a quality over quantity type of person. YTTV looks strikingly better than Dish or even DTV IMO. YTTV is cream of the crop followed by PSVUE which has more buffer issues but better channel selection at a higher price.

Yeah plus I'm sure there will be plenty of 4K they can add since Youtube itself already has a lot of 4K content on it plus they are the streaming kings.. :)

Yeah plus I'm sure there will be plenty of 4K they can add since Youtube itself already has a lot of 4K content on it plus they are the streaming kings.. :)
YouTube's live TV experience is relatively limited. They offer business products but up until recently most of their content has been painstakingly encoded before it becomes available.

YouTube's live TV experience is relatively limited. They offer business products but up until recently most of their content has been painstakingly encoded before it becomes available.

Yeah overall its the best streaming service out there and it will continue to get better plus over the next couple of years All providers will be streaming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)