Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Charter

Fire Set by Boy Playing With Lighter
Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:42 AM EDT
The Associated Press
By OSKAR GARCIA Associated Press Writer

BELLEVUE, Neb. (AP) — A 7-year-old boy playing with a lighter Wednesday started an apartment fire that killed two young children and their baby sitter, officials said.

Four other children, ranging from 4 months to 7 years old, escaped unharmed.

"We are very confident that the fire was started by a child playing with a lighter inside of the home," fire Lt. David Stukenholtz said.

Neighbor Cecilia Carmona, 23, said three of the children who escaped were those of a woman who rented the apartment in this Omaha suburb. The fourth young survivor was Carmona's own 4-month-old daughter.

The dead children were both girls — one age 2 and the other 11 months. Three of the surviving children, including the 7-year-old, were placed in county custody.

Police Capt. Herb Evers said the woman whose name was on the apartment's lease was in jail at the time of the fire on shoplifting charges.

The apartment was destroyed.

Some of the other units in the 12-apartment building suffered minor smoke damage, said Randy Lenhoff, president of Omaha-based Seldin Co., the apartment's owner. He said all units have smoke detectors, which were last checked in June.

———

Associated Press writer Timberly Ross in Omaha contributed to this report.

Some of them are made well and were even hard for me to work when I used to smoke but others were so easy that one time I almost set my pants on fire when I dropped something heavy into my pocket and it hit the thumbwheel and rested on the release button and lit up. The above story should also be a good reason for anyone with kids to quit smoking unless ofcourse you care more about smoking than you do your kids wich it seems alot of smokers do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)