Think VIP622 will ever be able to download net video?

jrfuda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
San Antonio, TX, USA
So, I've been looking at AppleTV. The main appeal it has - for me anyway - is the ability to easily get podcasts to your TV. Being able to DL missed TV episodes and watch them on my TV instead of waiting for the rerun is a nice feature as well.

Now, the question is - Does dish have any plans to add this kind of functionality to the VIP622? (I did a forum search for "podcast" and found no similar threads, I think).

There are several video podcasts (mostly tech-related) that I'd like to subscribe to and have them waiting for me to watch on TV just like a news program. If the VIP622 had this feature it would be awesome. It would also be neat if the VIP622 could download programs - maybe those from Amazon unbox or something (since I doubt Apple would license dish, or dish would even seek Apple for such). I wonder if the hardware's capable of decoding those. Heck, they could go even further and make the VIP622 a competitor for Apple TV by turning it into a sort of media hub, without compromising it's primary purpose! OK, maybe that's taking it a bit too far, but I already use it as a sort of media hub when I have it feeding sat radio stations to my receiver with the TV off. It would be especially cool if non-copy protected stuff (like podcasts) could be accessed by any other PC on your home network, and media on those PCs/NAS devices could be accessed by the 622. A fella can dream, no?

Now, I've been away from home for a while (several months) and have not had a chance to play with my 622 since the latest firmware releases, so I have no idea what - if any - networking capabilities have been added lately (first hand, just know what I've read, and sometimes that's not all that clear). My bandwidth's been rather limited as I've been away from home, so it's not easy for me to scour the threads as I usually do, so I'm largely in the dark.

Thanks!

So, I've been looking at AppleTV. The main appeal it has - for me anyway - is the ability to easily get podcasts to your TV. Being able to DL missed TV episodes and watch them on my TV instead of waiting for the rerun is a nice feature as well.

Now, the question is - Does dish have any plans to add this kind of functionality to the VIP622? (I did a forum search for "podcast" and found no similar threads, I think).

It's been spoken about but little else.

There are several video podcasts (mostly tech-related) that I'd like to subscribe to and have them waiting for me to watch on TV just like a news program. If the VIP622 had this feature it would be awesome. It would also be neat if the VIP622 could download programs - maybe those from Amazon unbox or something (since I doubt Apple would license dish, or dish would even seek Apple for such).

You'd be correct.

I wonder if the hardware's capable of decoding those.

Yes, but compatibility with an iPOD with few exceptions is usually propritary. It IS possible to make all media material compatible (MP4, wav, avi, asf, etc) but you'd have to decode it in a method that allows easy addition to iPOD's and similar devices. Essentially, you'd have to make them MUCH more easy to pirate. This is likely the primary reason for no action.

Heck, they could go even further and make the VIP622 a competitor for Apple TV by turning it into a sort of media hub, without compromising it's primary purpose!

Copyright infringement.

OK, maybe that's taking it a bit too far, but I already use it as a sort of media hub when I have it feeding sat radio stations to my receiver with the TV off. It would be especially cool if non-copy protected stuff (like podcasts) could be accessed by any other PC on your home network, and media on those PCs/NAS devices could be accessed by the 622. A fella can dream, no?

They're called pipe dreams. Unfortunately some of the dirtier ones noone will run a pipe-cleaner through.

Now, I've been away from home for a while (several months) and have not had a chance to play with my 622 since the latest firmware releases, so I have no idea what - if any - networking capabilities have been added lately (first hand, just know what I've read, and sometimes that's not all that clear). My bandwidth's been rather limited as I've been away from home, so it's not easy for me to scour the threads as I usually do, so I'm largely in the dark.

Thanks!

The 622 has a LOT of potential, but many of the proposed functionalities the setup isn't there for at present or the interest is in a patented technology. So can these things be done? Yes. Will we see any of these in the near future, probably not. Maybe after D* and E* merge and take over the universe.

You are also comparing apples to oranges.

Media conversion is supposed to swell in the next few years. Dish will likely participate with their products. Will this include the 622? Its possible, but I would think that its more likely with some next generation STB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)