Thinking about a new antenna

jessshaun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Robinson, Illinois, United States
I've been thinking about buying a new antenna, and had a mounting question.

I was thinking about taking down our Dish 500 and switch, and using the mast for that to mount an antenna, and reuse the existing RG6 cable to run to our Directv receiver for OTA reception. We have Dish for locals, and I'm wanting to get rid of Dish Network, and use our Directv receiver to record locals OTA.

The Dish 500 was just installed a month and half ago, so the cable is brand new.

Would this work? I've never installed an antenna before, but it looks fairly easy.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: if it matters, here is the antenna I'm thinking about buying... http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5000835

If you have a flat roof it will probably work. If it is a sloped roof I doubt you will have clearance on the j pole to mount the antenna. Besides it comes with mounting pole and mount.

If you have a flat roof it will probably work. If it is a sloped roof I doubt you will have clearance on the j pole to mount the antenna. Besides it comes with mounting pole and mount.

Ok. I was just thinking it'd be easier, but that's cool. I'll just use the hardware that comes with the antenna then. I'll still probably reuse the cable though.

Other HDTV Antenna Option

Before you buy the phillips antenna, consider the new ClearStream at
Antennas Direct | C2 ClearStream2 HDTV Antenna for the DTV Transition.

While Antennas can’t tell the difference between analog and digital signals, there are definitely certain models which have higher DTV batting averages than others. Not all antennas are equally suited for DTV. A percentage of viewers will require something a little more tailored for DTV reception like the ClearStream.

Yea... The antenna I am now using picks up 10 and 16, but I was looking to pick up WFXW and WTWO. My current antenna BARELY picks up WUSI. WTHI comes in about 95% of the time, but I wanted something more reliable, and stronger to be able to pick up WFXW and WTWO.

My antenna should arrive in the next few days, so this weekend I'll be able to see how good it works.

I would not mount that big of an antenna to a dish mast, first good wind and the j mount will be ripped off the roof and antenna will be done as well. Go to Lowes or menards and Pick up a tripod and 5' piece of mast. Ridgid steel water pipe works as well.

These are the guys I use, and have had good luck with them
EASY UP

Menards stocks the easy up tripod for 18.99

I got the antenna 1/2 put together, all I need to do is put the mast on the antenna and mount it to the wall. The included mounting kit will not work, because our house has about a 2 foot overhang all around the house.

I'm thinking of going with an eave mount. It looks like Radioshack has one for $17.99. This is my first time attempting something like this, so I hope there's no problems or issues.

I do have 1 more question however. I will obviously be getting rid of Dish Network after this antenna is installed, so would I be able to just simply unplug the Dish Network cable from the grounding block and use the same grounding block for the antenna? I'm assuming that would provide enough protection. The dish was grounded to the rod from the power meter.

Then I would only need enough RG-6 cable to run from the antenna to the grounding block.

... would I be able to just simply unplug the Dish Network cable from the grounding block and use the same grounding block for the antenna? I'm assuming that would provide enough protection.

The antenna mast needs to be grounded in addition to the coax cable. The ground block takes care of the cable, but you'll still need to run a thick copper or aluminum ground lead from the mast to the block. Then, you'll need to verify that the ground wire is uninterrupted from the block to the grounding stake. Please review "Grounding outdoor antennas" about three-quarters of the way down this page. It shows the proper way to do this under the National Electrical Code.

I've seen way too many dishes go up with no grounding at all hereabouts, which is just inexcusable in an area that's second only to Florida for thunderstorm frequency and severity. It seems installer QC is all over the map, so check that work carefully!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)