Thinking about adding Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tim tim tim

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Tampa, Fl
They are running a few decent specials and Im considering picking up the service. I currently get free cable/internet but as most of you know, the HD quality between cable and satellite are not even comparable.

With that said, I plan to get the whole house dvr feature. The problem is that we like having the ability to rewind/pause live tv in our bedroom and the living room. With this whole house service, are you able to link more than one dvr together so that I can watch the recordings from one dvr on the other and visa versa and still have the ability to rewind/ff/pause on both sets.

Another question as far as installation goes. Since I will be having 2 tv services at each location, I will need to have 2 cables to each tv. How many cables need to go from the dish to the dmark point if im only feeding 2-3 tv's and do I only need 1 cable for each box or does it still require 2 cables? I plan to have it pre ran so its just a matter of hooking everything up at install time.

I had direct installed in july and wanted the whole house service but was told by the installer that you need ethernet wiring in your home.I would say there ads are a little deceiving in regards as to who may be able to have this service.the receivers that they have are not dual tuners like dish networks receivers.

They are running a few decent specials and Im considering picking up the service. I currently get free cable/internet but as most of you know, the HD quality between cable and satellite are not even comparable.

With that said, I plan to get the whole house dvr feature. The problem is that we like having the ability to rewind/pause live tv in our bedroom and the living room. With this whole house service, are you able to link more than one dvr together so that I can watch the recordings from one dvr on the other and visa versa and still have the ability to rewind/ff/pause on both sets.
you can have multiple dvr's with no issue

Another question as far as installation goes. Since I will be having 2 tv services at each location, I will need to have 2 cables to each tv. How many cables need to go from the dish to the dmark point if im only feeding 2-3 tv's and do I only need 1 cable for each box or does it still require 2 cables? I plan to have it pre ran so its just a matter of hooking everything up at install time.
you need 1 cable from the switch to each box, and 1 from the power inverter to the switch

I had direct installed in july and wanted the whole house service but was told by the installer that you need ethernet wiring in your home.I would say there ads are a little deceiving in regards as to who may be able to have this service.the receivers that they have are not dual tuners like dish networks receivers.

you do not need ethernet wiring.

the recievers are dual tuner, but all outputs put out the same picture

yeah I know there running a moca application on the boxes, no ethernet. I work in the cable field now and used to install for dish I just wasnt sure on how dtv was doing the wires now. I remember they used to have a seperate cable for each tuner in the past. I was making sure they were past that now. Also, I know I can have 2 dvr's but can they link together to share programing between eachother? Basically I only want 2 whdvr's, no satellite boxes.

yeah I know there running a moca application on the boxes, no ethernet. I work in the cable field now and used to install for dish I just wasnt sure on how dtv was doing the wires now. I remember they used to have a seperate cable for each tuner in the past. I was making sure they were past that now. Also, I know I can have 2 dvr's but can they link together to share programing between eachother? Basically I only want 2 whdvr's, no satellite boxes.

yes the dvrs can view recordings from other dvrs
you cannot set dvr2 to record from dvr 1 though
but you can choose what unit to record on from the guide online at the dtv website

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)