Thinking about coming back to dish from directv

lwh1993

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
I had dish for 5 1/2 years, but went to Directv in December 2011 because dish fees got too high. Dish called with with an offer that seems pretty good. $70.99/ month for top 250' hopper and 3 joeys, along with credit to offset the $120 early termination fee. My bill will go to $105/ month in year two which is what I pay now with directv(I have the top 250 equivalent package, plus an hr24 500 and 3 hr25's).

Does this seem like a good deal? Is there anything I'm missing with going back to dish?

Thanks,
Todd

For some not having RSN's in full time HD is a issue, I would review programming and see what's important.

You seem to be driven completely by price. Why not check out any cable offers too, and just pick the least expensive?

I wasn't in contract with Directv when I switched and got about the same deal other than the credit for dumping Directv. I love my Hopper! I have very happy with Dish so far other than the tech who came out to replace my 722 with the hopper.

Posted from my iPhone.

I'm not a huge fan of the HR 24 and HR 25's, My wife misses pausing live TV on the other TV's. also have had lots of issues with reception during bad weather and lots of bugs in the hr 24.

Basically we wouldn't watch live tv on more than 3 tv's at the same time, so I assume that will be fine with the Joey system.

Directv offered to potentially switch me early to a Genie, but that would come at another two year contract and higher rates.

My cable choice is Mediacom and they are very pricey and have fewer features.

I'm not a huge fan of the HR 24 and HR 25's, My wife misses pausing live TV on the other TV's. also have had lots of issues with reception during bad weather and lots of bugs in the hr 24.

Basically we wouldn't watch live tv on more than 3 tv's at the same time, so I assume that will be fine with the Joey system.

Directv offered to potentially switch me early to a Genie, but that would come at another two year contract and higher rates.

My cable choice is Mediacom and they are very pricey and have fewer features.

I have mediacom here in my area as well. Just not where I live go figure. But I hear people all the time talking about how bad they are.

Posted from my iPhone.

I had dish for 5 1/2 years, but went to Directv in December 2011 because dish fees got too high. Dish called with with an offer that seems pretty good. $70.99/ month for top 250' hopper and 3 joeys, along with credit to offset the $120 early termination fee. My bill will go to $105/ month in year two which is what I pay now with directv(I have the top 250 equivalent package, plus an hr24 500 and 3 hr25's).

Does this seem like a good deal? Is there anything I'm missing with going back to dish?

Thanks,
Todd
You are chasing prices. In any given year the price of DTV or Dish will change and close in on each other. There is a small pocket of us left who believe in loyality
and don't chase rainbows to save $5.00. Its a little known fact that if you keep changing, after awhile all of the cable and satellite providers will put you on a list.
No bargains. No thrills . No deals.
Ten years from now, the pricing won't matter. Be loyal. Be strong. Go Dish!!

I have to agree with squeezon, it all ends up to be about the same in price. if you have a product you like then stick with it. we are not into sports so dish is a perfect fit for us.

You are chasing prices. In any given year the price of DTV or Dish will change and close in on each other. There is a small pocket of us left who believe in loyality
and don't chase rainbows to save $5.00. Its a little known fact that if you keep changing, after awhile all of the cable and satellite providers will put you on a list.
BWAHAHAHA! That was a good one! Best work of comedic fiction I've read on here in a while!

Nah If you switch every two years they'll try to offer something but they don't really care. It would be way too big of a list of people who do that. I'm sure it's in the millions. If they would simply say lock in 2 years of savings with us and get new customer pricing for 2 years then less people would leave . If they are that worried about limiting the freebies they give out then that's going to come and bite them in the neck because they make millions and their customers don't . Customers are the # 1 reason why they make those millions.

You'll get black listed from TV providers? That's a new one.

Yeah, I had to laugh at that one. If there is such a list, I suspect it is in that poster's head. Both D* and E* and every cable provider have been doing 'switches' for so long they wouldn't know how to do business if they tried to stop it.

I give my loyalty to my friends and family, not huge corporations. When I left Dish they could have cared less, now they want me back and said they were sorry for losing me. Unfortunately I've had issues with Direct and my wife hates their hardware. So we'll see how it goes this time. Ultimately if I stay with Direct I'll pay more in the long term, the same with Dish will happen eventually as well. So chasing the dollar only seems fair when dollars are scarce and you need to save where you can.

If they add me to the "List" I can always cut the cable and they lose any money from me. I'll be part of the revolution of the Black List and they will dread the day our dishless brothers were wronged.

Thanks for the insight Squeezon.

Truth is, if television providers don't want people to switch in pursuit of better deals, they could choose to offer better every day pricing and keep most of those customers (Assuming they are leaving only to pursue the deal). For example, If Dish and Directv had roughly the same channel package and equipment configuration at one price point, and a customer called Dish to say he was switching to Directv for low first year prices and higher second year prices on a two contract, Dish could offer him a regular price that was exactly between the two for two years locked in. The Dish sales pitch could be "Avoid the hassle of switching, pay the same total cost over the next two years, and have more reliable budgetable month to month bills that are the same for the entire commitment.". Maybe that medium price could even be offered contract free and Dish could say "Hey, give it a shot. You can always change your mind later if you're not happy".

Alternately, providers could simply offer existing customers the same promotion as new customers every other year of service if they call in and request it. For example, you sign up for Dish and get a year contract with one year of cheap rates and the second year of the higher regular rates. After the second year expires, if you call them up, they give you the option to do it again- a new two year contract with one year of cheap rates (or a free iPad or a free year of Sunday Ticket or whatever the new customer offers are) and the second year of regular rates.

If companies are all going to offer new customers great discounts, free iPads, free Sunday Ticket, and/or other incentives, and tell their existing customers "No soup for you.", they can hardly blame people for switching. Of course, some people will always stick with what they know because they don't like the hassle of switching (Phone calls, installation appointments, new channel numbers and technology to get used to, etc.), like the technology or channel lineup offered by one provider and don't feel the other provider(s) duplicate it (Maybe they are missing a key but obscure channel the person loves or a special DVR or whatever), don't feel much monetary pinch, or like seeing that familiar logo on their screen. Some people might be sticking around because they really hate the other provider and refuse to do business with them under any circumstances, or have some sort of other special situation (i.e. perhaps they are waiting to switch until a promotion on cable Internet runs out, and then they'll see if they can get a new customer TV/Internet combo discount from the cable company later after only one full priced month of Internet, maybe cable isn't available and they don't credit qualify for Directv's offer without a down payment they aren't willing to pay, maybe they've got someone in the household that loves whatever they've got, maybe their uncle is the owner of the company, etc. :) ). But if people do switch around a lot and companies can't stand it, they should look at what incentives they can give to keep existing customers happy (i.e. discounts, promotions, etc.).

One idea I've always liked is automatic discounts the longer you stay. Boost Mobile does something where your bill goes down $5 a month for every 6 months you stick around until by you're paying $15 a month less- and then you get that discount "forever" (subject to them revamping the way they do billing). I don't have Boost Mobile right now, but I almost did get it, and may in the future. That business model is very attractive. Maybe a television provider could give it a shot. Of course, you can't start off at a ridiculously high rate or no one will switch to you, but what about first year promotional discount, second year regular price, third year $5 off a month, fourth year $10 off a month, 5th year and beyond $15 off a month? That way you'd get the incentive for showing up, then "pay your dues" in the second contracted year, and gradually work back to their best offer for your loyalty. I'll bet people think twice about switching from Boost Mobile once they get down to $40 unlimited everything each month (Granted Boost has a fairly small network, poor call and data quality, poor phone selection, etc.- there are reasons not to like it, I'm just saying their shrinkage plan is a cool idea).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)