Thinking about cutting the cable (mostly)/ Dish America

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
ESPN is areally a must or us, and this package is $25 for a year, and $35 after that. Id be just getting a HD Bo:mad:no dvr) and this is probably the cheapest package I can find of this nature, to just give me a few channels in case of boredom and ESPN/ESPN2. Would also allow me to get my UFC PPV's easily.

Anything I'm missing? Would couple this with a TiVo Premier XL on Antenna/Amazon VOD/Netflix and Apple TV. Is Dish America HD Only?

TIA

Looking at your signature it I might be wrong but you have direct now and looking at going to dish? A nice thing about dish is they do have espn in there basic package and its a good price with a nice amount of hd Also see you can get 120 package without rsn

Yeah, with trying to cut the cable, ESPN is one hitch because my wife and I are huge ACC/SEC Col Fball fans. I think the Dish America at $25 for the first year and $35 afterwards is the cheapest way to get ESPN and ESPN2 in HD.

Yea it's not a bad price, I get mailers from dish as previous sub And that 120 package is a decent package with some nice hd. Without getting into a dish vs direct battle it is nice that dish has many options with decent packages

As someone who only needs ESPN and ESPN 2, it's great, also gives me Spike which I can watch the UFC pre fight on.

With a TiVo premier for Hulu Plus, Amazon Vod and Netflix, as well as Netflix discs and potentially getting an Apple TV, I'd be set.

That's the package I'm on. It's definitely not anything to write home about, but the price is right. Overall for the basic channel selections & price it is a good value. I also use roku & ota in addition. DA is considered an hd pkg & requires the appropriate dish.

Thats cool, could use it for Deadliest catch and other stupid Disc and TLC stuff I record :)

With Dish America, the HD rcvr appears to be free, whats the cost to turn the rcvr into a dvr (monthly?)

elwaylite said:
Thats cool, could use it for Deadliest catch and other stupid Disc and TLC stuff I record :)

With Dish America, the HD rcvr appears to be free, whats the cost to turn the rcvr into a dvr (monthly?)

One time 40 dollar fee

One Time Charges & Credits

Monthly Charges

Dish America

Monthly Credits

Cr: New Cust $10x12 Mo

Monthly Charges & Credits

Amount Due Now

One Time Charges & Credits

Monthly Charges & Credits

Taxes

Paid

Paid

TV Requirements

TV #
Room
HD
DVR

Living
Y
N

Corresponding Receivers

1 Rcvr 211/411 HD Solo

Just signed up

So,

I should be getting a 211this Friday with the install, all I need is USB EHD and a call in activation. I'll then have a one tuner DVR?

That should be correct. Looks like you'll have a pretty inexpensive HDDVR setup. I didn't realize people were still considering buying an appleTV. I thought that thing was about done.

The AppleTv will be to supplement Amazon VOD, wont use it unless I have too. The Amazon VOD files are now 1080p/24 and the PQ is pretty awesome.

Seems weird Dish would not take advantage of the opportunity to charge a DVR fee on the 211 when you convert it to a DVR with the EHD.

So,

I should be getting a 211this Friday with the install, all I need is USB EHD and a call in activation. I'll then have a one tuner DVR?
I hope it goes smoothly for you, but it was quite difficult to get mine activated. The CSR was completely clueless. I ended up being charged 3 $40 activation fees for all her failed attempts. Eventually got everything straightened out, but it was painful. In the end, it works great though.

Seems weird Dish would not take advantage of the opportunity to charge a DVR fee on the 211 when you convert it to a DVR with the EHD.

I think it has to do with the fact that the EHD can be removed. Once you pay the $40 fee you can plug in a EHD if you want or not. If there was a DVR fee you just know there would be people calling in who only have a 211 saying "I didnt have a hard drive hooked up for 14 days...I shouldnt be charged for a DVR fee" ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts