This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Thinking about getting DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryane75

Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I'm thinking about getting DirecTV, but I have a few questions.

Will I only have 1 dish with multiple LNB's if have local channels in Nebraska ?

Should I wait and sign up when the New DVR comes out ?

Are there any problems with not having a phone line ?

Thanks

1) It depends on your zip code, however you did not give one.
2) some say get it now, and trade up for (presumably) free when the mpeg4 units are rolled out (I suspect that might be awhile), and some say wait, I guess it's a matter of if you believe rumor (that they will upgrade free which is likely since it's within reason for D* as they would require a 2yr contract either way).
3) You need one for initial setup, after that I don't think you need it.

Hope that helps, good luck and enjoy whomever you decide to go with.

My zip code is 68507. When I checked their site it says I can receive local channels. Does that mean I would just have one dish ?

I'm in 68504 and I have two dishes. Most likely your in Lincoln? If so the Hasting-Lincoln DMA requires a dish pointed at 72.5. So you will have two 18" dishes (one for regular programming and locals or one 18" and one phase III dish).

Well according to the spot beam maps(located here: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/297 ), it appears some parts of the state are covered with spot beams, so if your in those spotbeam footprints, you'll only need one dish, some places, locals need a second _dish_ (the amount of LNBs only matters if you intend to get HDTV or International programming, so no matter if your in the spotbeam or need a second dish for you locals, you won't need the triple lnb(sans hd and int.), the single lnb round will be the one you'll get for free install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.