Thinking about getting OOL BOOST

C-A-S

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Hey... I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on OOL BOOST for me.

I currently have OOL with the Motorola SBV5120 modem. I also have a wireless router if that means anything at all with this. My question is what will have to happen if/when I upgrade to BOOST? Will I need to be sent a new modem and IP or can CV simply upgrade the speed to me through my current connection?

The other thing I'm curious about is capping... I heard something that BOOST members never get capped or there's a less likely chance they do. Any truth to this? To anyone who has BOOST do you feel it's worth it?

Thanks for your time.

Boost will give you 30/5 speeds as opposed to your current 15/2. You also get web hosting space with domain e-mail.

You don't need a new modem. Once the change takes place, re-boot your modem.

Just make sure your not like many folks I have seen which have their cable modem plugged into a 10mb/s hub or router.

I know a few who subscribed to the faster service and were upset at not getting the speeds promised, only to find out that their equipment was causing them to slow down. In fact I know one guy who had a 10MB Nic card who who was upset he wasnt getting the promised speeds. :)

Awesome. Sounds good. I'll be sure to order the upgrade ASAP. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Well, I upgraded to BOOST today. I just ran a speed test on Speakeasy.com and these are the results: Download Speed: 25105 kbps (3138.1 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 4539 kbps (567.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

I know these speeds vary all the time but does this sound about right for BOOST? Thanks again for all the help.

I may do it as well. I am getting their telephone VOIP connection this coming weekend and then later on I am going to do the boost.

I signed up for Boost online. It told me that the modem was going to reboot and then I will have double my speed but it never did and I rebooted both the modem and the router and nothing has happened. Do I have to wait for a confirmation of some sort? Also, I just got O Voice today and the modem was changed. I assume that this new modem will be ok for boost. Is this correct?

I signed up for Boost online. It told me that the modem was going to reboot and then I will have double my speed but it never did and I rebooted both the modem and the router and nothing has happened. Do I have to wait for a confirmation of some sort? Also, I just got O Voice today and the modem was changed. I assume that this new modem will be ok for boost. Is this correct?

Sean if you were pending a change, then the boost service more then likely was not added to your account. Unfortunatly thats one of the limitations to our system we can only do one change at a time. Call customer service and ask them to check your account to see if the upgrade went thru, if not reorder online so you get the free month of the boost service.

thanks. I will. One quick question is it possible to add another telephone # or line to my current phone. I see it has two lines for telephone (the modem) but the technician said it is only for business.

The OV modem should be fine. I'm assuming it is the SBV5120 or the webstar. If you're still not getting the boost speeds, I'd call into TSG. Something may have happened when they switched your MAC address and the Boost codes may have fallen off.

thanks. I will. One quick question is it possible to add another telephone # or line to my current phone. I see it has two lines for telephone (the modem) but the technician said it is only for business.

yes you can get a second number its 14.95 a month however, there is a charge for the tech to come out of 46.95 to activate it and if your porting an existing number its $40.

yes you can get a second number its 14.95 a month however, there is a charge for the tech to come out of 46.95 to activate it and if your porting an existing number its $40.

Let me ask you. I had to bring my modem down to the first floor since I did not want to move my phone. So I made it easy for the tech to connect to the phone. I just connected the phone to to modem without disconnecting the Verizon Jack. I want to have that option for the future, just in case :). Anyway here is my question. Do they connect the second line to the second jack on the back of the modem? If so, I would like that second line to go to the second floor. Can they do that? they will have to drill on the first floor (cable from modem out to the second floor) and then drill on the second floor (cable to phone). Is this possible.

BTW, I called tech support this am and now I getting the Boot Speed.

Let me ask you. I had to bring my modem down to the first floor since I did not want to move my phone. So I made it easy for the tech to connect to the phone. I just connected the phone to to modem without disconnecting the Verizon Jack. I want to have that option for the future, just in case :). Anyway here is my question. Do they connect the second line to the second jack on the back of the modem? If so, I would like that second line to go to the second floor. Can they do that? they will have to drill on the first floor (cable from modem out to the second floor) and then drill on the second floor (cable to phone). Is this possible.

BTW, I called tech support this am and now I getting the Boot Speed.

I dont think they would run the line to another room like your asking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)