Thinking about HD...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Braklet

Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
DishNet are finally making me get rid of my venerable old 5000 receiver which makes me think about upgrading to HD.

I installed my own equipment back in 1998 (currently using Dish 500, legacy Twin feeding 5000 and 301 receivers). I know I'll need new DishPro LNBs.

I live in an Eastern Arc market (Raleigh NC), but due to tree cover can't get LoS on any EA slot. I should be OK with 129 but still need to eyeball my yard to make sure. Since I can't get 61.5, is 118 an option for my HD locals? I'm guessing I'll need a Dish 1000 or 1000.2, possibly a 1000+.

Regarding the Dish'N It Up program, dishnetwork.com obliquely mentions that "additional fees" might be necessary if dish equipment needs to be replaced. Of course they don't provide any ballpark figures. Does anybody here have an idea?

Alternately, can local Dish retailers handle Dish'N It Up upgrades? I don't have good impressions of DishNet customer service since they outsourced everything overseas and try to avoid them whenever possible.

I also carry equipment in the RV for field viewing, but I'll leave that for another thread.

Thanks for any guidance!

First off, they are changing to new smart cards, and some of the older receivers are not being upgraded for the new cards.

Second, since you are a long-term customer, you should be able to get a good deal. They will replace the 500O with current equivalent without charge, but if you want to upgrade, then the usual Dish'N'ItUp terms apply - which, again, are better for long-term customers.

When you add an HD receiver and HD channels ($10 a month for the channels), then you should get a free install of a Dish 1000+ (yes, the Raleigh HD locals are on 118).

By the way, getting a DVR makes as much or maybe even more difference in watching TV than HD. So, you should consider an HD-DVR, models 612, 622, or 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)