Thinking about leaving dish for directv a few newbe questions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

David4toy

Original poster
May 28, 2013
Va
I've been with dish for 10yrs. My #1 complaint is they still don't have my locals in HD SD only and they look like crap!
#2 i have to pay to get a hopper.

I can get all that for free with directv. How does the directv nomad pc app work? Can't find any reviews of it online. Can you put HD content on your pc and watch it later or is it only SD?

Does directvs dish need to point at the same sat as dish networks did? (wondering if it can be put on the same pole) basically can they just swap dishes and use the existing coax that dish was using? My dish install is two dual turner boxes. have 4tvs with two dual tuner boxes.

Is the best deal for a new customer going to be on directvs site directly?

Thanks for the info and advice!

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

I'm not sure how the Nomad app works, so I'll leave that for someone else.
The dish points at the 101 satellite, yours could be at 61.5 or 110, I think. The Directv mast is different, so they would have to install a new one. They can use at least some of your existing cabling. There are several ways to sign up, like at a Costco or online. You should check around and see where you can get the best deal.

As for the pole, it could be ok to use, depending on what size they are using ... IF your pole is 2" OD your good, if it's 1 5/8, it will have to be changed.

There are a lot of options to sign up, sometimes going thru D* is the best as they can sometimes offer more than the others, other times not.

If you know anyone that has D*, you can get a referral and save you and the other person $100

I think the only Dish mast that's 2" is the Super Dish.

Could be, I thought they still used the 1 5/8" masts.

Thanks for the info.

I was wondering how many people switch every two years just for the new equipment and free HBO, Showtime etc for a few months?

Thanks for the info.

I was wondering how many people switch every two years just for the new equipment and free HBO, Showtime etc for a few months?

Many do it, I don't.

The most important thing for any sub is to use a provider that supplies the channels you want/need, what good is the provider if you can't see the programming you want ?

They do still use the 1 5/8" mast on the HD dishes at least.

Pretty sure that the only 2" OD mast Dish used is for the 1st generation Superdish, at least nothing I've run into in the field recently fits current dtv dishes. DirecTV currently switched all of their dishes to use a 2.0" OD Mast, they used to use 1 5/8" for SD but recently switched everything to a "universal mast pipe" Im not sure what the international size was, but thank god it uses a normal mast now, cause that jpipe was a btch and a half to get set up properly in the past.

Thanks for the info.

In the past I was a long term, customer. However, of late, I've swapped as the need arises. Not for equipment or channels, but savings. New customer promos are hard to pass up when channels that I watch are more or less the same, either way.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts