Thinking about Leaving Dish?

plumerman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
I am thinking about switching to D*. The final straw for me besides the $17.00 dollar receiver fees for my 2 dvr's, and the disney/espn crap, and the horrible quality of "HD" pictures, and the horrible sound from espn and some other channels that sound like it is being broadcast from underneath the lost city of atlantis. Sorry, getting carried away. My 722 dvr basically died, no big deal they sent me a replacement. I was very explicit in the one that was not working, the 722 (i also have a 722k) they sent me a 722k as a replacement. I spent over 1 hour getting it set up and then having to call in because the online activation was not working. Tech finally got it working, said my espn gameplan was an issue when authorizing it and fixed it. A few days later my other 722k has lost almost all of its channels, and my espn gameplan is nowhere to be found on any receiver, which i find out just as i am trying to set up my recordings sat morning for all the games because i was leaving for the day. I call dish on monday, and guess what, they sent me the
"wrong one", are you kidding me? I was supposed to get a 722 not a 722k. So now they have sent me another receiver and i have to send 2 back now, more time of mine wasted. My contract is up in december, but i am leaving early. I can get direct tv with the sunday ticket and get hbo, showtime, etc for 2 years for free with the whole home dvr hookup for the same price as i am paying for dish without the premiums. Should i stay or go? I have been with dish for 4 years

saved

I am thinking about switching to D*. The final straw for me besides the $17.00 dollar receiver fees for my 2 dvr's, and the disney/espn crap, and the horrible quality of "HD" pictures, and the horrible sound from espn and some other channels that sound like it is being broadcast from underneath the lost city of atlantis. Sorry, getting carried away. My 722 dvr basically died, no big deal they sent me a replacement. I was very explicit in the one that was not working, the 722 (i also have a 722k) they sent me a 722k as a replacement. I spent over 1 hour getting it set up and then having to call in because the online activation was not working. Tech finally got it working, said my espn gameplan was an issue when authorizing it and fixed it. A few days later my other 722k has lost almost all of its channels, and my espn gameplan is nowhere to be found on any receiver, which i find out just as i am trying to set up my recordings sat morning for all the games because i was leaving for the day. I call dish on monday, and guess what, they sent me the
"wrong one", are you kidding me? I was supposed to get a 722 not a 722k. So now they have sent me another receiver and i have to send 2 back now, more time of mine wasted. My contract is up in december, but i am leaving early. I can get direct tv with the sunday ticket and get hbo, showtime, etc for 2 years for free with the whole home dvr hookup for the same price as i am paying for dish without the premiums. Should i stay or go? I have been with dish for 4 years

You could've saved all the timers on the 1st 722k to the remote and dwld them to the new ones when you get them. Which I will be doing again as soon as I figure out which timers I'm gonna keep now that the new season is here.

if you wanna switch, switch. You gotta live with the service you get not anyone on this forum. Asking advice doesnt make much sense, if its cheaper and they have the programing you want go for it.

If you really feel it will be better with D* go ahead. Understand that you can have the same experience with them or any other company. It's just the way things go now days.

I just moved from DTV

Their HD receiver fees are more. $5 lease per unit + $10 HD fee + $7.50 HD DVR fee (and what is that for?) per unit fee. Packages cost more. Saving $50 a month going to DISH.

My only complaint with DISH is the awful 722 DVR interface.

Their HD receiver fees are more. $5 lease per unit + $10 HD fee + $7.50 HD DVR fee (and what is that for?) per unit fee. Packages cost more. Saving $50 a month going to DISH.

You obviously must not understand how D* bills - neither the $7.00 DVR fee nor the $10 HD fee has EVER, EVER been per unit in the history of D*. And, the first $5 receiver lease fee is credited right on your bill, so it only applies on the 2nd & added boxes. Many existing D* subs (including myself) have called in & got our HD fees waived for the next 2 years, & new subs get them waived for life, so that's not a biggie.

You do realize that DISH does charge a $6 DVR fee per account as well...and DISH charges more (WAY more in some instances) than the $5 per receiver charge D* does. (many posts on this board from people screaming when DISH jacked up the monthly pricing on duo DVR's to $17)

But hey, if you think you're saving $$$, I guess that's all that matters... :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
Like the old saying goes, "If you're thinking about cheating then you have already cheated." The same goes for leaving Dish Network. I used to love Dish Network (former value leader, DVR technology leader, and quality HD channels) but dumped them for FiOS due to their horrible HD-Lite coupled with the fact FiOS provided a supeior product and service at a much cheaper price. I left Dish Network 3-years ago this November and I cannot recommend them to anyone in any form or fashion...unless it's the only available option.

I'm thinking about leaving Dish for iO. Dish Network fees are BS! Customer service does not always give straight up answers if it means they have an opportunity to sell you something. I won't use Dish Network's DVRs because of the BS fees. I have TiVo Series 2. I am waiting for a new TiVo DVR that is compatible with satellite service. I am going to contact TiVo to find out if I can use my TiVo box with the Dish Network Duo ViP 222K. I wnt to hook the TiVo Series 2 to my secondary TV so if anyone knows it it will work let me know.

If the TV2 output of a 222k is anything like the TV2 output of my 722, then be forewarned that there is no anamorphic widescreen mode. Maybe the "k" models are different, but I doubt it.

My only complaint with DISH is the awful 722 DVR interface.
Where did you get your information from? Everything you stated is false. This is not the case now with Direct and has never once been the case. This post by you just proves that you were never a DirecTV sub like you claimed. This also means you are not saving $50/month. Nobody will save that much with any provider and with a comparable package no matter what setup they have

Then again, I don't know why I am asking since I highly doubt you will respond back

lol good luck man!
smile.gif

I'm thinking about leaving Dish for iO. Dish Network fees are BS! Customer service does not always give straight up answers if it means they have an opportunity to sell you something. I won't use Dish Network's DVRs because of the BS fees. I have TiVo Series 2. I am waiting for a new TiVo DVR that is compatible with satellite service. I am going to contact TiVo to find out if I can use my TiVo box with the Dish Network Duo ViP 222K. I wnt to hook the TiVo Series 2 to my secondary TV so if anyone knows it it will work let me know.

I switched from IO to dish. IO's boxes are from the stone age. They are terribly slow when just switching channels. I even changed out boxes several times, but that didn't help. Make sure you check it out at someones house before you switch.

Let him switch. I'm so tired of these threads. I'll be so glad when all these folks 'thinking' about switching do, so they can take their whining to another sub-forum. Unless, like Bob, you continue to post in Dish.

I have multiple providers at my home right now because of some radio endorsements I am doing. In fact, they are Dish, Comcast, & Direct. The only one I pay for is Dish. My 722K in comparison to the Comcast DVR is like comparing a netbook to a supercomputer.

Direct's DVR is on equal footing to me... However, my 722K with OTA lets me record 4 things at once. I can't do that on Direct.

Now, I don't know how many of the 'whiners' have had 3 services at once, but I can guarantee you that the Dish DVR is only equaled by Direct's HR-24. I loathe the Comcast one to the point that I only use it for live tv when I want to watch free HBO or Red Zone.

Sorry about the OP's bad experience, but that can happen with any provider. Don't forget how far behind D* has fallen regarding HD channels. I just switched from D* to Dish and gained about 30 more HD nationals. D*'s DVR is slicker, but I'm much happier with Dish overall. I only have one 722k, so I'm saving D*'s $5 mirror fee for my 2nd room plus a $3 MRV fee.

You're tired of these threads?! I'm tired of a multi million dollar company being greedy. Dish Network pulls a lot of scams. I have been a customer of theirs for several years. A few years ago they stopped notifying me of rate raises; I'm guessing so I wouldn't drop them. Their main objective is to make as much money as possible with their BS fees. A fee for additional receiver, a fee for dvr access, a fee to decline automatic billing, lease fee, etc. It's not the satellite service I don't like but the BS that comes with it. Contact Dish and tell them you want to buy a receiver rather than lease and see what happens. UPSELL! UPSELL UPSELL! SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!

Sorry about the OP's bad experience, but that can happen with any provider. Don't forget how far behind D* has fallen regarding HD channels. I just switched from D* to Dish and gained about 30 more HD nationals. D*'s DVR is slicker, but I'm much happier with Dish overall. I only have one 722k, so I'm saving D*'s $5 mirror fee for my 2nd room plus a $3 MRV fee.
30? Are you sure about that?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/general...nnel-list-dish-network-vs-54.html#post2336637

Man, this is like the 3rd different person to come and post false information about DirecTV on this thread or another thread

You're tired of these threads?! I'm tired of a multi million dollar company being greedy. Dish Network pulls a lot of scams. I have been a customer of theirs for several years. A few years ago they stopped notifying me of rate raises; I'm guessing so I wouldn't drop them. Their main objective is to make as much money as possible with their BS fees. A fee for additional receiver, a fee for dvr access, a fee to decline automatic billing, lease fee, etc. It's not the satellite service I don't like but the BS that comes with it. Contact Dish and tell them you want to buy a receiver rather than lease and see what happens. UPSELL! UPSELL UPSELL! SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!

come on please tell us how you really feel:D

Its truy sad E began and grew to free us from cable tyrrany, then morphed into a company worse than cable.:(

With so many here cancelling it should give pause to the upper management that perhaps this is the wrong approach to business......

You'd think Bob. But knowing DISH they will continue down the path of FEES that is leading them down the tubes. Here are some of the "Just because we can fees " that DISH thought up over the years.

Tv-2 connection fee. This $5.00 fee was "discontinued" according to DISH but they really rolled it up into the new much higher additional receiver fees.

Dvr fee PER EACH DVR . These $6.00 fees were also "discontinued" according to DISH but were rolled into the additional receiver fees as well ,but are less than the full $6.00 charge. You now have one $6.00 per account .

Additional receiver fees per class of receiver. These vary and are the HIGHEST in the industry. Anywhere from $7.00 - to $17.00 per extra additional receiver.

ONE time External hard drive fee at $39.99 last year , now $40.00. This fee is reasonable if you actually have a vip receiver that can use external hard drives for archiving. The 922 STILL DOES NOT do this and it is now 6 months since the damn box came out.

ONE time Fee for Dvr software for the 211/211k receivers at $39.99 last year , now $40.00. This fee is actually useful, because you can use your external hard drive to turn your basic hd receiver into a dvr so you can record one sat channel and one oat channel at the same time. I have two 211ks with dvr software.

SLING fee/dvr fee- IS the combined fee of $6.00 dvr fee + $4.00 sling fee= $10.00. This fee allows you to sling your tv 2 tuner to your computer or i-phone or laptop ( when it works right)- but still not the hd media extender for another hd tv in your house, promised MONTHS ago.

Google fee- the newest fee in a line of bullsh*t fees only DISH has. This monthly $4.00 fee will allow you to use the new google box coming out supposedly on 9/ 29/10 , that you have to BUY . Yes, you pay $179.00 -if you are a DISH sub you get a discount, and then pay a monthly fee to use it with your DISH receiver. But this will allow you to access the internet over your vip receiver. **The 922 actually does internet access now for play on application that gives you access to HULA and NETFLIX if you have a Netflix account. THIS ONE ACTUALLY WORKS on the 922!! But you will need a sling link to get it to work reliably . Another $30.00 to DISH if you want to buy that one,but no monthly fee ...YET!

Yes DISH is the lowest price leader for PROGRAMMING . BUT the monthly fees will KILL YOU ! Most of the addtional fees added up are equal to, or surpass the monthly programming fees. Meanwhile DIRECTV has ONE addtional receiver fee of $5.00 per extra receiver NO MATTER which kind of box you have. ONE Dvr fee per account and no extra fee rolled up into your additional receiver price. Yes they have MRV fee of $3.00 ,but COME ON! This fee is actually provides you with a useful feature: networked receivers so you can share hard drives and watch in any room , any program. This is cutting edge tech that DISH used to be first at ,before they sunk everything into SLING and the 922 that is such a disappointment to many on this board,me included.

Last edited:
Read the signature

Let him switch. I'm so tired of these threads. I'll be so glad when all these folks 'thinking' about switching do, so they can take their whining to another sub-forum. Unless, like Bob, you continue to post in Dish.

Title says it all. We welcome all to join the No Howler Club!;)

Title says it all. We welcome all to join the No Howler Club!;)

I really DONT CARE.

But do note that if the fee jacking doesnt see punishing sub losses all these fees and more will be coming to EVERYONES BILL...... no matter who the provider.:(

akin to people on ebay who see stuff for a buck with 10 dollar shipping.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)