Thinking about Leaving Dish?

Their fee's do suck, but for me Dish is still cheaper and better than cablevision. I also priced my setup with D*, and they would be close to $10 more per month. I know everyone is trying to make Dish this evil empire, but they really aren't any worse than the rest of the providers.

Their fee's do suck, but for me Dish is still cheaper and better than cablevision. I also priced my setup with D*, and they would be close to $10 more per month. I know everyone is trying to make Dish this evil empire, but they really aren't any worse than the rest of the providers.

It's not everyone - it's two or three people (who oddly all seem to be named Bob) and one or two staff members. The rest of us just put them on ignore and go about our lives.

Thinking of leaving Dish

When you call to cancel your account does Dish cut your service immediately or do you get to finish the monthly service you paid for?? If they do cut your service right away do they refund the money for the portion of month you didn't use??

mine was turned off immediately but my 722 still had 30 some channels and record still worked. one free channel retro something had a chorus line of topless gals. I guess they leave cheap barker and chanels that pay for carriage to try and entice the departed sub to return......

They are evasive about refunds, i asked for it at cancelation, they said no problem never got it and a couple months later called and they said I had to request it:(

Didnt get it and was ready to file a BBB complaint, auto call from E said they refunded my card, but i havent got my bank statement yet..... and have been too busy to check

Let him switch. I'm so tired of these threads. I'll be so glad when all these folks 'thinking' about switching do, so they can take their whining to another sub-forum. Unless, like Bob, you continue to post in Dish.

I have multiple providers at my home right now because of some radio endorsements I am doing. In fact, they are Dish, Comcast, & Direct. The only one I pay for is Dish. My 722K in comparison to the Comcast DVR is like comparing a netbook to a supercomputer.

Direct's DVR is on equal footing to me... However, my 722K with OTA lets me record 4 things at once. I can't do that on Direct.

Now, I don't know how many of the 'whiners' have had 3 services at once, but I can guarantee you that the Dish DVR is only equaled by Direct's HR-24. I loathe the Comcast one to the point that I only use it for live tv when I want to watch free HBO or Red Zone.

I think it is great when people get everyone talking about this stuff. I just wish everyone else would just stay on topic.

Just two years ago, I had all three of the same as you. I was just starting my stint with Direct. I am now thankfully back to Dish. Dish is by far the best of all three. There is not even enough room for me to list all my complaints about Direct. But, I have to say my 2 biggest complaints are the slow DVR's and the Sound glitch.

Slow DVR's - This was not intermittent it happened all the time. No matter what you did, what button you pushed there was always this several MS lag before it happened. Press guide, wait, punch in a certain channel number, wait, etc. Dish's DVR's are so much nicer.

Sound - had tech support on this for months - every 3 minutes I would get a stop in the sound, not the picture, just the sound. Annoying. In fact the first 2 weeks of Dish, I caught myself subconsciously waiting for the glitch.

Not to mention the weird way they order their channels, crappy remote, etc.

Don't switch to Direct you will be sorry. Put me in the sooooo happy to be back crowd!!! :):):)

30? Are you sure about that?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/general...nnel-list-dish-network-vs-54.html#post2336637

Man, this is like the 3rd different person to come and post false information about DirecTV on this thread or another thread
Really? Here are the 30 HD channels I get on Dish that D* doesn't have. Get your facts straight before you accuse someone of lying.

AMC
BBCA
Centric
Cooking
DIY
E!
Fashion
G4
Gala
Hist Intl
HLN
ID
Lifetime Movie
Logo
Mav
Nat Geo Wild
Shorts
Style
TruTV
TCM
Fox Soccer
Indie Plex
Retro Plex
World Fishing Network
4 additional HBO's
2 additional Cinemax's

Sony Movie (next week, which makes 31)

Of course D* probably has an equal amount that Dish doesn't have. But the vast majority of them suck. I didn't look at your list because I don't care what D* has. They're ancient history to me. I just want people to know they don't have to put up with D*'s crap. If your list doesn't have the channels above, it's wrong.

The bottom line is I'm 100% correct, and D* can suck it.

I'd also warn anyone thinking of getting D* that D* will lie and cheat at every turn. As thanks for being a loyal D* sub for years, they have tried (and ultimately failed) to cheat me out of thousands of dollars from bogus contract extensions, bogus non-return fees and bogus early termination fees. They will lie to your face and then slap you with bogus charges time after time. It's taken me an inordinate amount of time and effort to get them to fix their so-called mistakes. Hopefully I'll never have to deal with them again.

Last edited:
I switched to Dish from DirecTV on Sunday.

The main reason I switched was for more national HD. Dish has the channels I wanted and DirecTV does not.

I got the 922 and it is much better than the DVR I had with DirecTV. The 922 responds when I hit a button, not 2 or 3 seconds later.

I'm glad I made the switch and wish I had done it sooner.

Something I found interesting -- the Dish installer asked why I switched and wrote down my answer on some form he had. Said I was the 4th install that day that was switching from DirecTV to Dish and this is in a small town.

Like the old saying goes, "If you're thinking about cheating then you have already cheated." The same goes for leaving Dish Network. I used to love Dish Network (former value leader, DVR technology leader, and quality HD channels) but dumped them for FiOS due to their horrible HD-Lite coupled with the fact FiOS provided a supeior product and service at a much cheaper price. I left Dish Network 3-years ago this November and I cannot recommend them to anyone in any form or fashion...unless it's the only available option.

I hear you with regards to FiOS, and I would love to subscribe once they get to my neighborhood (they have not stopped rolling out FiOS in my city and are slowly making their way to my neck of the woods), but to get the same services or package of channels I do with Dish is $20 MORE per month (and fewer DVR's). HBO and Cinema are add-ons (at least in my city in which they serve. OUCH! And no net savings after factoring differences in fees. So, Dish it is, until FiOS pricing is more competitive, which is probably not going to happen until they can get a good critical mass because as I understand it, Verizon is having to paying more for channels than legacy cable or satellite. Only AT& Uverse pays about same high rates as Verizon FiOS, again, for lack of critical mass. Perhaps, one day, I can add to the critical mass.

You'd think Bob. But knowing DISH they will continue down the path of FEES that is leading them down the tubes. Here are some of the "Just because we can fees " that DISH thought up over the years.

Tv-2 connection fee. This $5.00 fee was "discontinued" according to DISH but they really rolled it up into the new much higher additional receiver fees.

Dvr fee PER EACH DVR . These $6.00 fees were also "discontinued" according to DISH but were rolled into the additional receiver fees as well ,but are less than the full $6.00 charge. You now have one $6.00 per account .

Additional receiver fees per class of receiver. These vary and are the HIGHEST in the industry. Anywhere from $7.00 - to $17.00 per extra additional receiver.

ONE time External hard drive fee at $39.99 last year , now $40.00. This fee is reasonable if you actually have a vip receiver that can use external hard drives for archiving. The 922 STILL DOES NOT do this and it is now 6 months since the damn box came out.

ONE time Fee for Dvr software for the 211/211k receivers at $39.99 last year , now $40.00. This fee is actually useful, because you can use your external hard drive to turn your basic hd receiver into a dvr so you can record one sat channel and one oat channel at the same time. I have two 211ks with dvr software.

SLING fee/dvr fee- IS the combined fee of $6.00 dvr fee + $4.00 sling fee= $10.00. This fee allows you to sling your tv 2 tuner to your computer or i-phone or laptop ( when it works right)- but still not the hd media extender for another hd tv in your house, promised MONTHS ago.

Google fee- the newest fee in a line of bullsh*t fees only DISH has. This monthly $4.00 fee will allow you to use the new google box coming out supposedly on 9/ 29/10 , that you have to BUY . Yes, you pay $179.00 -if you are a DISH sub you get a discount, and then pay a monthly fee to use it with your DISH receiver. But this will allow you to access the internet over your vip receiver. **The 922 actually does internet access now for play on application that gives you access to HULA and NETFLIX if you have a Netflix account. THIS ONE ACTUALLY WORKS on the 922!! But you will need a sling link to get it to work reliably . Another $30.00 to DISH if you want to buy that one,but no monthly fee ...YET!

Yes DISH is the lowest price leader for PROGRAMMING . BUT the monthly fees will KILL YOU ! Most of the addtional fees added up are equal to, or surpass the monthly programming fees. Meanwhile DIRECTV has ONE addtional receiver fee of $5.00 per extra receiver NO MATTER which kind of box you have. ONE Dvr fee per account and no extra fee rolled up into your additional receiver price. Yes they have MRV fee of $3.00 ,but COME ON! This fee is actually provides you with a useful feature: networked receivers so you can share hard drives and watch in any room , any program. This is cutting edge tech that DISH used to be first at ,before they sunk everything into SLING and the 922 that is such a disappointment to many on this board,me included.

And expect the new DirecTV CEO to soon follow Dish's lead (as DirecTV seems to always copy what Dish does) some time soon, probably next year, as the CEO stated that programming costs are DirecTV's #1 problem--he's about as angry as Charlie on this subject (as Charlie has been saying for over 10 years in regards to Dish) so, DirecTV will use the fees to take the programming pressure off, just like Dish, but it would be hard to say mean things about DirecTV if they did the same as Dish (and they will) because they have very little leverage with programming costs because all they can do is allow a channel to no longer be offered, but then customers complain about it. So, the fees it is.

What is sad is that no mass migration from Dish has occurred because of the ghastly fee increases and this gives DirecTV--and others--safe harbor to do the same.

It is the same for me. EVERY other alternative for me, cable, DirecTV, and soon to come Verizon FiOS, would result in a higher monthly bill than I am paying for Dish for the same services, even if I do a triple play, it is still a net increase from what I pay now for separate TV, telephone, and internet services. I really wanted to vote with my feet and leave Dish for raising the fees, but after crunching the numbers, Dish is still the value and low price leader, whether I like it or not. Now, I have to say that I am extremely satisfied with what I get from Dish and the DVR's, so there is a positive at work here, too.

It is true: they are all evil empires. Although Comcast and their CEO Brian Roberts easily out evils even Rupert and Charlie is way at the bottom of the mean CEO list compared to even DirecTV CEO Michael White. Those guys make Charlie look like a Robin Hood.

Thinking of leaving Dish

mine was turned off immediately but my 722 still had 30 some channels and record still worked. one free channel retro something had a chorus line of topless gals. I guess they leave cheap barker and chanels that pay for carriage to try and entice the departed sub to return......

They are evasive about refunds, i asked for it at cancelation, they said no problem never got it and a couple months later called and they said I had to request it:(

Didnt get it and was ready to file a BBB complaint, auto call from E said they refunded my card, but i havent got my bank statement yet..... and have been too busy to check

Thanks for the reply! I guess I will have to time the call close to the end of the monthly billing date. If that doesn't work out I will also have to go after a refund. I hope your refund shows up soon!

So everyone has a problem with Dish's fees. I didn't realize that other companies had zero fees and Dish was the only one that did. Come on people! I know Dish has some fees that piss people off but so do all companies. If you do a little studying you'll find that D* has way more complaints about hidden fees and what some people call SCAMS, SCAMS, SCAMS!

Compare and contrast my old D* bill with my new Dish bill for my 2 room system:

D*:
Total Choice Plus $61.50
HD Service $10
DVR Service $7
Addn'l receiver $5
Multi-room $3

Dish:
AT250 $65
DVR Service $6

(tax and promos excluded)

I'm a lot better off with Dish as far as cost and content are concerned. I miss a few features my old DVR had, but I can work around that.

Compare and contrast my old D* bill with my new Dish bill for my 2 room system:

D*:
Total Choice Plus $61.50
HD Service $10
DVR Service $7
Addn'l receiver $5
Multi-room $3

Dish:
AT250 $65
DVR Service $6

(tax and promos excluded)

I'm a lot better off with Dish as far as cost and content are concerned. I miss a few features my old DVR had, but I can work around that.
In MOST cases Dish will be a few bucks less per month, particularly if you have 1 HD TV and 1 SD TV as a single Duo receiver/DVR will save you the extra receiver fee. Just and FYI, you could have received free HD with Direct as well. I am currently getting free HD with them

I just switched to D* from dish. My bill is now $10 more than what I was paying with dish, $76 with dish and $86 or so with D*.

This is because with Dish I only had a 922 ( 5 of them failed, which is why I am a D* customer now.)

With D* I have 4 receivers, 2 receivers and 2 dvrs installed in closet hooked to my sling box and all of their content shared with MRV. Pretty cool, but the 922 interface is much more refined.

I am on simular programming packages and really miss some of dish's hd programming but I could never get the 922 to work without crashing.

I find threads like this puzzling, if you are leaving why post your pains here? Looking for someone to talk you out of it? Grow up and grow a pair!! Are you paid to take accounts with you? Now this might be a reason to lurk and if it is the case....well I can understand you greed. :D

What I find even more puzzling is the number of Direct people lurking her. Why?? I don't lurk on Directs threads, maybe you all are so miserable you want some company. :rolleyes:

Day

Moe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts