Thinking about moving from Directv to Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Gracie Allen

Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
Minneapolis
This SHOULD be simple... I think........

Currently have Directv:
Home: 3 TVs, Genie, 2 mini-genies (or whatever they're called), record 5 channels of ANYTHING - local or cable - and/or can watch ANYTHING - local or cable concurrently, up to 5 of whatever. As near as I can tell it DOESN'T CARE which and how many of local and cable channels are recorded and watched up to 5 total.

RV: 1TV. HR24 (I think - it's some Directv HD DVR that'll record 2 channels). OTA locals come in through AM21 when on the road... Can record 2 channels, OTA or cable or any combination of same. And/or watch 1 live and record one. Again, it doesn't appear to make any distinction between OTA channels and cable. Just get to do SOMETHING WITH 2 OF ANYTHING.

This seems about as simple and basic as it gets.......

SO, for the equivalent from Dish it APPEARS
Home: Hopper 3, 2 joeys(?). I'm told this will record 16 of any channels, local or cable... True or not? Are there ANY restrictions on what, or how many of locals or cable can be recorded concurrently? And/or watched live while recording, up to 16 of whatever?
RV: I get confused here... Dish said a 612 to record 2 channels. Another forum said VIP211. With whatever the OTA adapter is for Dish. Does Dish treat OTA, locals and cable channels the same as Directv? Can I record 2 local channels concurrently? 1 local and one cable? 2 cable? Can I WATCH 1 OTA and/or local and record another local? Watch 1 local and record 1 cable? Etc..

I'm trying to figure out if there are ANY bizarre restrictions with Dish on what can be recorded and/or watched in combination when on the road.

IF POSSIBLE, it would be nice if there is a simple, convenient way to take recorded content from the Hopper 3 and play it on the TV in the RV. NOT involving physically moving EITHER device (the hopper or whatever is in the RV). There appears to be NO way to do with with Directv. There are some goofy things with tablets and whatever but they don't seem to work particularly well. Does the Hopper Go ACTUALLY allow me to copy programs from the Hopper 3, carry it to the RV, plug it into the TV or whatever the DVR in the RV is and WATCH the recorded programs on the TV in the RV?

This SHOULD be simple... I think........

Currently have Directv:
Home: 3 TVs, Genie, 2 mini-genies (or whatever they're called), record 5 channels of ANYTHING - local or cable - and/or can watch ANYTHING - local or cable concurrently, up to 5 of whatever. As near as I can tell it DOESN'T CARE which and how many of local and cable channels are recorded and watched up to 5 total.

RV: 1TV. HR24 (I think - it's some Directv HD DVR that'll record 2 channels). OTA locals come in through AM21 when on the road... Can record 2 channels, OTA or cable or any combination of same. And/or watch 1 live and record one. Again, it doesn't appear to make any distinction between OTA channels and cable. Just get to do SOMETHING WITH 2 OF ANYTHING.

This seems about as simple and basic as it gets.......

SO, for the equivalent from Dish it APPEARS
Home: Hopper 3, 2 joeys(?). I'm told this will record 16 of any channels, local or cable... True or not? Are there ANY restrictions on what, or how many of locals or cable can be recorded concurrently? And/or watched live while recording, up to 16 of whatever?
RV: I get confused here... Dish said a 612 to record 2 channels. Another forum said VIP211. With whatever the OTA adapter is for Dish. Does Dish treat OTA, locals and cable channels the same as Directv? Can I record 2 local channels concurrently? 1 local and one cable? 2 cable? Can I WATCH 1 OTA and/or local and record another local? Watch 1 local and record 1 cable? Etc..

I'm trying to figure out if there are ANY bizarre restrictions with Dish on what can be recorded and/or watched in combination when on the road.

IF POSSIBLE, it would be nice if there is a simple, convenient way to take recorded content from the Hopper 3 and play it on the TV in the RV. NOT involving physically moving EITHER device (the hopper or whatever is in the RV). There appears to be NO way to do with with Directv. There are some goofy things with tablets and whatever but they don't seem to work particularly well. Does the Hopper Go ACTUALLY allow me to copy programs from the Hopper 3, carry it to the RV, plug it into the TV or whatever the DVR in the RV is and WATCH the recorded programs on the TV in the RV?
The Hopper 3's 16 tuners are sat channels which your locals would also come through the sat, if you did get ota for your hopper system it would be an extra tuner. The hopper go would allow you to take recording with you but they would play on a mobile device I don't believe they'd work on a TV. Do you use dvr alot in the RV? I believe people suggest the 211 or a wally simply because you can hook an external hard drive up to it and pay a 1 time dvr fee for it instead of paying dvr fees monthly for your tv service in your RV

My concern isn't with the Hopper 3. Or the stuff at home. I presume that'll work similarly enough to what I have with Directv that changing is trivial.

My concern IS with what dish is capable of when I'm traveling... Yes, we use the DVR EXTENSIVELY in the RV when traveling. For all practical purposes we time-shift EVERYTHING. Which means we're normally watching something from the DVR. When we're close-ish to home, within 200 miles or so, we get our Directv with the locals just fine wherever we are. I PRESUME Dish will do the same thing.

Here's where my questions are: I'm sitting in East Overshoe - a THOUSAND miles from home - and have the Winegard 1518 up and connected...

I WANT to record two channels that are LOCAL to East Overshoe and thus coming into the Dish whatever from the antenna on the roof through some OTA adapter. CAN I do this with vip211+EHD? 612? If not, WHAT?
I want to WATCH a local channel and record ANOTHER local channel. CAN I do this with vip211+EHD? 612? If not, WHAT?
I want to WATCH a local channel and record a satellite channel. CAN I do this with vip211+EHD? 612? If not, WHAT? I presume ANY of them can do this, but...
I want to WATCH a satellite channel and record AT LEAST one local channel, PREFERABLY 2. CAN I do this with vip211+EHD? 612? If not, WHAT?

I guess it comes down to how many satellite tuners are there and how many OTA tuners? The 211 SEEMS to have ONE. The WALLY seems to have ONE. The OTA adapter seems to have ONE. I'm having trouble finding ANYTHING that tells me SPECIFICALLY how many of each type of channel I can record with whichever piece of equipment...

Do most people just get a second Hopper for their RV? Does THAT accept some kind of OTA that will enable me to record MULTIPLE OTA local channels from wherever I am?

I"m PERFECTLY happy to dump Directv and go to Dish, but NOT if it means I can only record ONE local or OTA channel at a time.

So, can someone tell me, in clear, idiot-proof terms, EXACTLY how many of what of each thing I can record concurrently, and watch concurrently?

My concern isn't with the Hopper 3. Or the stuff at home. I presume that'll work similarly enough to what I have with Directv that changing is trivial.

My concern IS with what dish is capable of when I'm traveling... Yes, we use the DVR EXTENSIVELY in the RV when traveling. For all practical purposes we time-shift EVERYTHING. Which means we're normally watching something from the DVR. When we're close-ish to home, within 200 miles or so, we get our Directv with the locals just fine wherever we are. I PRESUME Dish will do the same thing.

Here's where my questions are: I'm sitting in East Overshoe - a THOUSAND miles from home - and have the Winegard 1518 up and connected...

I WANT to record two channels that are LOCAL to East Overshoe and thus coming into the Dish whatever from the antenna on the roof through some OTA adapter. CAN I do this with vip211+EHD? 612? If not, WHAT?
I want to WATCH a local channel and record ANOTHER local channel. CAN I do this with vip211+EHD? 612? If not, WHAT?
I want to WATCH a local channel and record a satellite channel. CAN I do this with vip211+EHD? 612? If not, WHAT? I presume ANY of them can do this, but...
I want to WATCH a satellite channel and record AT LEAST one local channel, PREFERABLY 2. CAN I do this with vip211+EHD? 612? If not, WHAT?

I guess it comes down to how many satellite tuners are there and how many OTA tuners? The 211 SEEMS to have ONE. The WALLY seems to have ONE. The OTA adapter seems to have ONE. I'm having trouble finding ANYTHING that tells me SPECIFICALLY how many of each type of channel I can record with whichever piece of equipment...

Do most people just get a second Hopper for their RV? Does THAT accept some kind of OTA that will enable me to record MULTIPLE OTA local channels from wherever I am?

I"m PERFECTLY happy to dump Directv and go to Dish, but NOT if it means I can only record ONE local or OTA channel at a time.

So, can someone tell me, in clear, idiot-proof terms, EXACTLY how many of what of each thing I can record concurrently, and watch concurrently?
As you've been told on DBS talk the 211 can only record ONE OTA channel. The VIP 612 cannot be used on a Hopper account. If you want a 612 you need to pay for a second account at full price, and the VIP612 only has a single OTA tuner built into it... The HOPPER 3 currently only has a single OTA tuner but the new tuner may have a dual capability .when ever it reaches the market place

Last edited:
Or you could set up a second, portable, H3 setup for your RV and simply transport your home H3 to the RV when you are away. All that you would need is a 1000.2 dish with a hyrid LNB with a single coax going from the dish to the H3. That way you have everything available on H3 and recording capabilities up to 16 channels. The only downside is that the Joeys that remain at home would be inoperable.

I am surprised nobody has suggested this yet...
For recording two satellite channels and two OTA channels in your RV, the simplest solution would be a ViP722k with the MT2 OTA module. This would allow you to record up to four channels at the same time. (up to two SAT + up to two OTA) As boba said above, the ViP722k would need a second account, since Dish will not allow it to be added to a Hopper account.

For recording two satellite channels and two OTA channels in your RV, the simplest solution would be a ViP722k with the MT2 OTA module. This would allow you to record up to four channels at the same time. (up to two SAT + up to two OTA) As boba said above, the ViP722k would need a second account, since Dish will not allow it to be added to a Hopper account.
If you have a Hopper you are a loud 2 Vip 211s on the same account thats it.
My guess thats why no one suggested such VIP equipment like a 722.
Don't know about you but I'd rather look and Find 211k which are not hard to find, and Pay $14 per month, rather than an entire basepackage price.

You buy a 211k and EHD pay $40 one time account fee your talking around $200 to own one, less than on average $375 for 2.
I have 211k and Z and paid $145 for both.

2 EHDs were $160 and a one time fee of $40
$345 total.

I am surprised that you suggested it. You have to double your subscription cost to do it your way. Simply bringing along the H3 while traveling costs nothing more than you already pay....

Reactions: Troch77
I am surprised that you suggested it. You have to double your subscription cost to do it your way. Simply bringing along the H3 while traveling costs nothing more than you already pay....
The OP did not want to physically move either receiver.
...NOT involving physically moving EITHER device (the hopper or whatever is in the RV).

On the other hand, if the OP goes with the ViP722k at both locations, they can both be on the same account. The additional receiver fee would be $17, and the DVR fee would be $10, which is $5 cheaper than the regular price of the Hopper DVR fee. So, a total of $27 in fees, compared to $29 with the Hopper + two ViP211k solution suggested previously.
Don't know about you but I'd rather look and Find 211k which are not hard to find, and Pay $14 per month...
Also, with a two ViP722k solution, there would be no need to purchase external hard drives, unless they want to use one to take content recorded at home with them on the road, or vice versa. Of course, if they want OTA at home and in the RV, they would need to purchase two MT2 modules, which would offset some of that savings.

The OP did not want to physically move either receiver.

On the other hand, if the OP goes with the ViP722k at both locations, they can both be on the same account. The additional receiver fee would be $17, and the DVR fee would be $10, which is $5 cheaper than the regular price of the Hopper DVR fee. So, a total of $27 in fees, compared to $29 with the Hopper + two ViP211k solution suggested previously.

Also, with a two ViP722k solution, there would be no need to purchase external hard drives, unless they want to use one to take content recorded at home with them on the road, or vice versa. Of course, if they want OTA at home and in the RV, they would need to purchase two MT2 modules, which would offset some of that savings.
External hard drives are less than $100.
Rather pay that once than paying 2 Basepackages and a Monthly DVR fee on both accounts.
I mean I suppose you could Do FLEX pay.
But one month of Top250, already bought your 211.

External hard drives are less than $100.
Rather pay that once than paying 2 Basepackages and a Monthly DVR fee on both accounts.
I mean I suppose you could Do FLEX pay.
But one month of Top250, already bought your 211.
Re-read what you quoted. I was altering my suggestion in order to provide a one account solution.

Interesting.... This is the first time, despite a half dozen calls to Dish, and two to "affiliates" that anyone has mentioned using a 722... As far as the EHD, that's trivial, I've got 1TB SATA hard drives sitting around 'cause they're too small for image storage.
If a 722 will let me record TWO simultaneous channels from the OTA, that would be fine. Everybody KEEPS talking about "locals". Locals aren't a problem when I HAVE them. What I'm looking for is HOW to handle things when we're in East Overshoe and our "locals" are coming from the roof antenna...

And NO, I'm not hauling the Hopper out of the house and sticking it in the RV. The whole point is that the Hopper sits at home and records while we're gone. I've been told I CAN have two Hoppers, but I CAN'T get a straight answer on "How do I record multiple, simultaneous channels from the OTA adapter?"

In truth, having talked to as many people as I have at Dish and two different affiliates, I've gotten so many drastically different answers that I'm thinking I'll just tolerate Directv until spring. One of the things I like LEAST about Directv is the constant lying. And since trying to get Dish, I'm getting the feeling they're just as flexible with the truth.

If I switch in the spring (which I suspect I'll try 'cause I'm sure the scumbags at Directv are going to try to jack up their prices in February), while the installer is HERE, whatever is going into the RV is getting connected to the Winegard 1518 and tested. If it WON'T do what I'm told it will, its going back.

Interesting.... This is the first time, despite a half dozen calls to Dish, and two to "affiliates" that anyone has mentioned using a 722... As far as the EHD, that's trivial, I've got 1TB SATA hard drives sitting around 'cause they're too small for image storage.
If a 722 will let me record TWO simultaneous channels from the OTA, that would be fine. Everybody KEEPS talking about "locals". Locals aren't a problem when I HAVE them. What I'm looking for is HOW to handle things when we're in East Overshoe and our "locals" are coming from the roof antenna...

And NO, I'm not hauling the Hopper out of the house and sticking it in the RV. The whole point is that the Hopper sits at home and records while we're gone. I've been told I CAN have two Hoppers, but I CAN'T get a straight answer on "How do I record multiple, simultaneous channels from the OTA adapter?"

In truth, having talked to as many people as I have at Dish and two different affiliates, I've gotten so many drastically different answers that I'm thinking I'll just tolerate Directv until spring. One of the things I like LEAST about Directv is the constant lying. And since trying to get Dish, I'm getting the feeling they're just as flexible with the truth.

If I switch in the spring (which I suspect I'll try 'cause I'm sure the scumbags at Directv are going to try to jack up their prices in February), while the installer is HERE, whatever is going into the RV is getting connected to the Winegard 1518 and tested. If it WON'T do what I'm told it will, its going back.

Not following how DISH lied to you or has been flexible with their answers. The wrong info you received is from a post or two here, not from DISH. DISH didn't mention the 722 because you can't have one on an account that has a Hopper. You need to have a 211 which only records one channel OTA. I am not aware of any option to record two OTA channels in the RV if you have the Hopper on your account.
What you might consider is getting a separate monthly account (Flex account not to be confused with the Flex pacakge) with no contract that you can activate only in a month(s) you need it and get the lowest package that fits your needs. Then you can get any receiver you want.

However one thing I may not be understanding. If you add an external hard drive, you can record two locals with the 211 if you record one from Satellite and one from OTA assuming of course you can get a signal OTA where you are. DISH will give you Satellite locals wherever you are by just calling them if you are out of range of your locals by Satellite. (Keep in mind that changes your locals for your account not just the 211 receiver in your RV) And the 211 can be on the same account as the Hopper and be in your RV. Would that work for you?

That is because right now, you CAN'T do that (even if you can find a single-tuner OTA adapter) period.

The two-tuner OTA adapter for the Hopper will not be available until at least February, and even then, the dual-tuner functionality will not be released until at least May. At that point, and once the inevitable bugs have been worked out, two Hoppers would be a viable solution for you. (A total of $30 per month in Hopper fees)

I am not aware of any option to record two OTA channels in the RV if you have the Hopper on your account.
A solution with two ViP211k's was mentioned, but then they would have to take two receivers with them, and keep track of which shows were recorded on which receiver. (Or rather, recorded on which hard drive)

However one thing I may not be understanding. If you add an external hard drive, you can record two locals with the 211 if you record one from Satellite and one from OTA assuming of course you can get a signal OTA where you are. DISH will give you Satellite locals wherever you are by just calling them if you are out of range of your locals by Satellite. (Keep in mind that changes your locals for your account not just the 211 receiver in your RV) And the 211 can be on the same account as the Hopper and be in your RV. Would that work for you?
It sounds like they do not want to fool with changing their satellite-delivered locals. They want to continue to record their in-market locals at home, and only record the available OTA locals in their RV. (If I am understanding the situation correctly)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts