Thinking about switching to dish

C_Hamilton12

Original poster
Jul 26, 2013
Iowa
My contract is ending with Directv and the retention offers dont beat the new customer deals ive seen dish offering. Ive seen 50% off package for the 1st year or $200 gift card with $50 bill credit on top of new customer promotional pricing.

Has anyone seen any offers better than these? What could i expect with the change in service as far as picture quality / receiver functionality?

My contract is ending with Directv and the retention offers dont beat the new customer deals ive seen dish offering. Ive seen 50% off package for the 1st year or $200 gift card with $50 bill credit on top of new customer promotional pricing.

Has anyone seen any offers better than these? What could i expect with the change in service as far as picture quality / receiver functionality?

Don't forget to take advantage of the referral program.

I changed to Dish after being with DirecTV for a number of years on June 8. I previously had a Genie HR44 and HR24 receivers.
I could not be happier with the Hopper/Joey system. I have two Hoppers with Sling, one Hopper 2000 with a Sling adapter and two Joeys that I have configured as "unofficial" wireless Joeys.
I am very impressed with how everything works together and how fast the Hoppers are.
I especially like the user interface and graphics on the Hoppers. Much easier to read and navigate, particularly the guide.
I cannot tell any difference in the HD quality compared to DirecTV.
The SD quality is significantly better than DirecTV's, however I am on the Eastern Arc, so it is MPEG4. DirecTV's SD is literally unwatchable at least to me.
I REALLY like the Sling feature. I use it all the time, as a matter of fact I watched parts of the USA vs. Germany match on my iPhone here at work today.
I had a Nomad/GenieGo with DirecTV, it was basically useless, even after they came out with the feature where you could "stream" your DVR recorded shows.
I think you will be very pleased if you make the switch. I will be surprised if you are not.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I had just a h24 hddvr and h25 hd receiver with Directv, i really enjoy sunday ticket but since i work weekends anyway ill miss most of the games anyways so thats not too important. I am thinking hopper and 1 joey is comparable to what i had with Dtv.

Also thanks for the link to the other thread, i looked around a bit but that thread is a few months old and didnt go back that far in the forums.

What does the referral code do? money off first bill ?

I had just a h24 hddvr and h25 hd receiver with Directv, i really enjoy sunday ticket but since i work weekends anyway ill miss most of the games anyways so thats not too important. I am thinking hopper and 1 joey is comparable to what i had with Dtv.

Also thanks for the link to the other thread, i looked around a bit but that thread is a few months old and didnt go back that far in the forums.

What does the referral code do? money off first bill ?
Yes, if you use someone's referral code you get $50 off your first bill, and they get $50 off for referring you as a customer, just give the code when you sign up.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Be sure you are getting the channels you want, be sure you are getting the pro games you want. Make sure you don't care that the RSN's are in SD except for most pro games, but in some areas even the pro games are in SD at times. Also be sure you understand the price is not guaranteed for the time described. What you are getting is the guaranteed discount off whatever the current price at any given time.
I think if you go into it with eyes wide open, you will like DISH especially the equipment.

Be sure you are getting the channels you want, be sure you are getting the pro games you want. Make sure you don't care that the RSN's are in SD except for most pro games, but in some areas even the pro games are in SD at times. Also be sure you understand the price is not guaranteed for the time described. What you are getting is the guaranteed discount off whatever the current price at any given time.
I think if you go into it with eyes wide open, you will like DISH especially the equipment.

I used to subcontract for Directv so i am familiar with what to look for in programming, equipment, and pricing. Just looking for the best new customer deal available to save money while getting a decent service

I am also thinking about signing up for dish network. I went through the website and decided to wait for a bit, and entered my email address to save my cart for 14 days. A day later, dish sent me an offer via email to get a 50 dollar prepaid card and 12,500 rapid rewards miles from Southwest Airlines (you have to call in the order). I was wondering if any of you know if you can combine this with the referral $50 instant credit on the account? I read the terms and conditions and it says may not be combined with other selected offers. Also, does anyone know of any offer offers (please provide links if possible) that may be better than this one? Thanks in advance for your advice!

I am also thinking about signing up for dish network. I went through the website and decided to wait for a bit, and entered my email address to save my cart for 14 days. A day later, dish sent me an offer via email to get a 50 dollar prepaid card and 12,500 rapid rewards miles from Southwest Airlines (you have to call in the order). I was wondering if any of you know if you can combine this with the referral $50 instant credit on the account? I read the terms and conditions and it says may not be combined with other selected offers. Also, does anyone know of any offer offers (please provide links if possible) that may be better than this one? Thanks in advance for your advice!

If you wait until July 17th you can get the Multi-Sport package for free when you sign up. Don't forget to use referral code to get a $50 credit on your first bill.

I'm in the same position. I chatted with a DISH rep to compare my current programming/equipment and DISH's and learned I would be saving $40 a month before adding HBO, Multisport and Latino sports channels; and that after the promotional year I'd be paying about the same, again not including HBO, Multisport and Latino sports channels. Gaining some programming, esp. NHL Network, but losing the UEFA channels. Didn't seem worth it to me. But I guess everyone's different.

If you wait until July 17th you can get the Multi-Sport package for free when you sign up. Don't forget to use referral code to get a $50 credit on your first bill.

Thanks for the info about the sports pack promo. I am a big St. Louis Blues fan so watching the pre and post game shows on FSMW would be really nice, especially for free through the end of the year! Do you know the answer to my question about combining promos (like $50 gc and 12,500 swa miles) with the referral $50 credit?

Reactions: Scherrman
Thanks for the info about the sports pack promo. I am a big St. Louis Blues fan so watching the pre and post game shows on FSMW would be really nice, especially for free through the end of the year! Do you know the answer to my question about combining promos (like $50 gc and 12,500 swa miles) with the referral $50 credit?

I'm not sure on those types of offers. As a retailer I don't deal with those types of promos.

I just switched from DTV...

I moved from the Genie w/ 2 Clients to The Hopper with Sling, SJ and Joey...

My DTV bill just kept creeping up higher and higher. The last straw was when I called to cancel a premium and somehow from cancelling the Premium a credit I was supposed to be receiving for like 15 months "mysteriously" dropped off as well. When I called to inquire about it and ask to have it added back it was no dice...So I shopped between Charter, who I have for internet, and Dish. After playing with my brother's Hopper it was an easy choice....And for the first year I get The Everything Pack for less than I was paying DTV for The Ultimate pack and HBO.

Of course when I called to cancel DTV offered me everything under the sun. But now that I can watch The Blaze without having to pay $10 a month for it that calculates into my savings as well.

Even got my In-Laws a $50 credit for referring me!

I'm in the same position. I chatted with a DISH rep to compare my current programming/equipment and DISH's and learned I would be saving $40 a month before adding HBO, Multisport and Latino sports channels; and that after the promotional year I'd be paying about the same, again not including HBO, Multisport and Latino sports channels. Gaining some programming, esp. NHL Network, but losing the UEFA channels. Didn't seem worth it to me. But I guess everyone's different.
What UEFA channels. if you are in T200 you get soccer on NBCSN and Fox sports 1. Espn will mostly cover mls. you go higher to t250 and you get bein sports.

unless you are sub to at120 pack or lower the you get quite a lot of soccer including from UEFA

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Do you know the answer to my question about combining promos (like $50 gc and 12,500 swa miles) with the referral $50 credit?

A few weeks ago the policy changed where you can only get 1 promo per order. Before that, we could combine a couple of different things, but now you have to just choose which one is best for you. Hopefully that will change in the future but for now that's the rule.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)