Thinking of getting HD

AndThenScottSays

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 20, 2008
North Carolina
So, we just finally bought a HDTV. I'm thinking about upgrading one other room to a HDTV as well, and want to upgrade equipment accordingly. I'm pulling my hair out trying to convey to a Dish CSR what I want to accomplish, so I am deferring to the experts here.

What I have now:
1 508 (serves 1 TV and nobody uses the DVR capability anyway)
1 522 (serves 2 TVs, but in single mode - only one TV is ever in use at any given time)
2 301 (each serves 1)

What I want:
1 211 (replaces the 508)
1 522 (will keep this and use the dual tuner mode to replace the 301s)
1 722 (put where the 522 used to be)

Everything but the 522 is owned by me; the 522 is leased. Currently I pay $57.99 for Classic Silver 200 w/ DVR + $10 for the 301s + $5 for a solo DVR (when did they start charging for a 508???). I want to at least keep that part of my bill the same, if not lower it. I know there is a $10 fee for the HD service. What else are they going to charge me if I change from my current configuration to this?

I am planning on purchasing the receivers straight out, but if it lowers my monthly cost any I'm open to signing the contract and leasing the needed equipment (if they will even let me, it was not clear to me over the phone if they would let me have three leased dual tuners).

Thanks in advance for help...

The OFFICIAL limit is four leased TUNERS, whereas each 722 would count as two. Call the Loyalty Department and discuss your desires with them, 1-888-683-6074. They have made exceptions. Worst case, you buy the 211. BTW, lease fee and DVR fee add up to $12.00 for HD receiver DVRs. 211 would just have the $6.00 lease fee. Even if you own, you will pay an equivalent fee. Sorry, that part of your bill will not stay the same, let alone go down.

Last edited:
You can only have 4 leased tuners ... you have 5 TVs; however, where your 522 is now, only one TV is only ever used at a time, so you "kind of" only have 4 TVs.

How many HDTV's do you have/want? This is what I see as your options:

1. two 722s ... this gives you two DVRs, 2 HDTVs, and 2 independent SD feeds (with each SD feed supporting any number of SD TVs all on the same channel).
or
2. a 722 and a 222 ... This gives you one DVR, 2 HDTVs, and 2 independent SD feeds (with each SD feed supporting any number of SD TVs all on the same channel).
or
3. a 722 and two 612s ... this gives you three DVRs, three HDTVs, and 1 SD feed supporting any number of SD TVs all on the same channel.
or
4. a 722 and two 211s ... this gives you one DVR, three HDTVs, and 1 SD feed supporting any number of SD TVs all on the same channel.

Of course ... you do own the 301s and the 508, so you could add those into the mix too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)