Thinking of going back to Comcast From Dish Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rob O

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
N. Central MA
I currently get Dish Network. I'm thinking of coming back to Comcast for HD.
Dish just announced their new HD package, but it does not include HD from any of the regional sports networks. For the most part my viewing includes my local sports (for me thats the Boston Teams). Dish HD is mostly the VOOM channels which I have no interest in.

I have some questions:

1. How is the HD quality on Comcast (I'm in north central Mass.)?

2. Is the HD broadcast downrezzed or is it in its native resolution?

3. Can I get the HD programming without getting a digital package? I had read somewhere that if you get the very basic, the locals in HD are also included just by renting an HD box.

4. Can I get all the non-premium (ie: NESN, Discovery, etc.) in the HD package without subscribing to the standard or digital packages.

Basically I'm sick of paying for a bunch of TV I don't watch, but want to get all the HD that is on Comcast without paying for a standard package or a digital package. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rob

Q: 1. How is the HD quality on Comcast (I'm in north central Mass.)?

I'm in Fl. and have no problem with the quality.

Q: 2. Is the HD broadcast downrezzed or is it in its native resolution?

No downrez. Comcast passes the signal along as they receive it - no changes.

Q: 3. Can I get the HD programming without getting a digital package? I had read somewhere that if you get the very basic, the locals in HD are also included just by renting an HD box.

Comcast does not have a "HD Pak". You get HD channels based on what level pak you have. If all you have is basic, for $5 you can rent a HD box and get HD locals. If you have a basic digital pak, you get some more HD channels. If you have a higher pak, you get all the HDs except the premiums. You only get the premium HDs if you also subscribe to their regular premium paks, HBO, Show, Starz, etc. or the platinum pak gets you everything. You just need a HD box or a HD/DVR. Roughly $5 or $9 rental.

Q: 4. Can I get all the non-premium (ie: NESN, Discovery, etc.) in the HD package without subscribing to the standard or digital packages.

As above, Comcast does not offer a HD Pak. What you get is based on your level of service. You may have call them and see what HD channels come in the digital pak. Your locals should all be available with any basic level of cable (+ the $5 rental)

Hope this helps.

I'm in MD, so keep that in mind as well...

1 - HD quality looks very good. Some pixelation and sound issues occasionally, but not regularly. (I think it depends on the HD DVR box your area uses).

2 - Not sure, but they look good. I've heard Comcast doesn't down-res or compress the HD channels, but I have no equipment that will confirm that statement.

3 - With the limited basic, you get local HDs. With Digital Basic, you also get ESPNHD, HD OnDemand. With Digital Plus, you also get Discover, INHD1+2, NFL GOW, TNT, RSN-HD.

4 - You need Digital Basic in order to get Cinemax, Sho, Starz, or HBO in HD (plus the premium subscription).

Just make sure to call Comcast and see what options they offer in your area.

-John

Also make sure that they know you're coming from DBS, they'll usually give you around a $25/month discount for some period of time. In the Chicago area it's for 16 months.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I will miss my Dish DVR it works very well, but no point in DVR'g shows that I don't really care about. Sounds like Comcast might get my $. I swore I would never go back, Dish seemed like such a good deal.

Such is life. I'm sure I've also said a few times I would never have another drink so long as I live! Can't ever seem to do that either.

Thanks again for the info.

You are not alone, there are many Ex E* that went to Comcast. No contract, no purchase of equipment and if the box goes out of date, you'll get a free equipment upgrade. :)

Rob O said:
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I will miss my Dish DVR it works very well, but no point in DVR'g shows that I don't really care about. Sounds like Comcast might get my $. I swore I would never go back, Dish seemed like such a good deal.
Such is life. I'm sure I've also said a few times I would never have another drink so long as I live! Can't ever seem to do that either.
Thanks again for the info.

I wish I live where I could get cable, I have had E and D and Voom and I hated D & E and of course Voom died (which I actually liked). If cable pass my house tomorrow, they wouldn't have to worry about installing it, I would do it from the pole to the tv before they could blink and call and say "sign me up today". My D goes out in a few months and I believe I will go back to c band since there is no cable. I loved my c band and cable, so I will at least have one of my two loves back. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)