Thinking of Going Back to Tivo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

itsonthedish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
How hard would it be for me to swap out the 522 for standalone receivers and then going back to TIVO?

Just curious why you would want to do that? I would think your PQ would suffer due to the Tivo needing to recompress the video. You'd also loose the ability to record Dolby Digital audio streams.

Ken F said:
rad,

The Dish 522 is hard to tolerate after you've grown accustomed to the Tivo.

I completly understand, I have three of them, but curious why 'itsonthedish' wants to replace the 522 with a 301/311+Tivo. The 522 is slated to get NBR first (whenever that occurs) and folks are always complaining about PQ and slow changing of channels, which I would think this would add to.

Ken F said:
rad,

The Dish 522 is hard to tolerate after you've grown accustomed to the Tivo.

you've got that right! the 522 is buggy as hell and the "customer support" at sbc/dish network are clueless and just seem like they don't care if it works right or not...their answer to every problem is to disconnect from power, reconnect to power, then DELETE ALL OF YOUR RECORDINGS!!!! it doesn't fix a freakin' thing! I'm STILL kicking myself in the ass for leaving directv and will be going back asap...thank god i kept my direcTivo!

I have a Tivo with a 322, but I have read about others that use it with a 522. Why don't you kust ignore the PVR features and use it as a receiver until they figure out their problems?

TiVo & 522

I'm currently running a TiVo & a 522. I know it's redundant, but we had TiVo & cable first and my wife love TiVo. Enough said about that. Anyway, I'm using the little infrared transmitters for TiVo to control my 522. It works, but channel changes are slow if you like to surf. If you use the guide and go directly to the channel you want it's still slow, but tolerable. My biggest problem was the 522 going into standby at night and TiVo not being able to wake it up. I solved that problem by setting an "Auto" (not "DVR") timer for 6am. TiVo has enough activity during the day to keep it awake after that. I would guess that connecting to a 301/311 would be similar to my situation.

I think what itsonthedish was asking is how difficult would it be to get Dish to trade receivers for some that don't have all of the bugs that the 522 has. And thats a good question. Although I'm a patient man my patience is wearing thin with all of the pixelation, sound drop outs, and searching for signal on my locals.

I have my Tivo working as a main DVR since I can't trust the 522 to do its job. But even the Tivo can only record what it sees and right now the 522 is way under par with quality compared my previous Charter cable setup. God, did I actually say that about Charter out loud? If you knew how much I hate Charter you would really get a feel for how disappointed in DN I am at this point.

I have my Tivo hooked up to a 322. I set up an automatic timer at 4:00 AM to turn it on every day. I have had one instance of a failed recording in 4 months. Much better that the 522.

If you want to get rid of the 522, trade it for a 322.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)