thinking of moving from dish to fiostv: slingbox work?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rboris

Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
new york
I've been a satisfied dish customer for years.
However, dish has become very, very expensive for all the premium stuff i want including the french channels.
fios in ny with a comparable film package and french tv5 will save me over $100 a month.

my major concern is how well slingbox works with fios. I have legacy slingboxes and use the dishanywhere interface (often from Paris).

I thank you in advance for your replies.

Be sure to check how long that introductory price lasts. Last time I looked, Fios was more expensive than Dish.

Be sure to check how long that introductory price lasts. Last time I looked, Fios was more expensive than Dish.

My dish bill is $175 p/m (premium channels plus french channels)

I currently have fios internet; phone, etc., which costs $159 p/m

Adding premium tv to fios (plus three set top boxes) would increase my bill to $273 p/m, a saving of $110 p/m over what I pay for now.

My major concern is how well slingboxes and fios work together (via newwatchsling.com) since I watch USA tv in Paris this way..

(In Paris I have Orange fiber to the home (yes right to their "switch" inside my apartment). My speeds are 940 down and 350 up. For cellphone, home phone, tv I pay 99 euros p/m.)

Any additional thoughts would be more than appreciated.

I looked on there web site (slingbox) couldnt find much.....usually worse case is you would need the IR cable hooked up....

I will keep looking.......Is it a newer Sling?

I looked on there web site (slingbox) couldnt find much.....usually worse case is you would need the IR cable hooked up....

I will keep looking.......Is it a newer Sling?

No, I have two, one is my wife's, they are older slingboxes. Not adverse to buying new ones, if that would facilitate a setup.
also: can I attach slingboxes to the "slave" boxes in addition to the "master" box??

Much appreciated.

No, I have two, one is my wife's, they are older slingboxes. Not adverse to buying new ones, if that would facilitate a setup.
also: can I attach slingboxes to the "slave" boxes in addition to the "master" box??

Much appreciated.
Yes I always put my slingbox on my less used TVs (slave)....Biggest thing is the cabling so the DMA doesnt stop you from watching stuff over a HDMI cable.....
I cant find much on FIOS on Slings website sorry.....keep us posted what you do.

made the move from dish to fios.
picture is better. and one tv is uhd. picture is fantastic.
sling: bought a new slingbox 500.
install easy.
critical adjustments: use component video (in and out) and no hdmi. change resolution from 1080p to 1080i.
just works and streaming ~5000 kpbs.

The main issue will be whether there's a profile that emulates the specific IR remote for whatever device it will be controlling. Everything else should work the same on any internet connection with enough speed. Seems like you got it figured out.

Gotta love them Sling boxes hea?....Just yesterday went to a local bar for some outside music and a cold beer....I watched the second half of the Wisconsin game, heard live music, and enjoyed the establishments home made brew!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)