Thinking of not upgrading to Hopper 3

Ray S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Central NJ
I currently have two Hoppers with Sling and three Joeys. I have external hard drives connected to the two Joeys. I have noticed that I only can play from content on the external hard drives from the Hopper that is connected to. I can't play the content of the external hard drives from the Joeys or from Dish Anywhere. Each of my Hoppers has a 2 TB hard drive and I can connect two 2 TB hard drives. With my present set up, I can play my recordings from either of the the Hoppers. I have access to 4 TB of recordings from Dish Anywhere or either of the televisions that are connected to the Hoppers. With the Hopper 3, my option would be to have one Hopper 3 and four Joeys. I would only be able to play 2 TB of recordings from the Hoppers or televisions that are not connected to the Hopper 3 and I would only have access to 2 TB of recordings from Dish Anywhere. At least this is my understanding from reading through the threads. I presently don't have a 4K television. I live alone and rarely have need to record more than 5 programs at a time while watching a 6th.

Ok, you live alone and you have all that equipment? I have a wife and 15 year old son and we only have the hopper with sling, super joey and joey combo. I rarely have all my tuners recording at the same time but the 5 tuners +ota tuner and the PTAT feature that records 4 networks at the same time is more than enough for us. I don't know if I will upgrade to Hopper 3 either. I just don't see the need for 16 tuners, not that they wouldn't come in handy if I had a larger family . There is rarely that many shows on that conflict at the same time and PTAT works to record many of the shows we do watch.

Reactions: Tron2012
The HWS/SJ or two HWS is still a viable solution. For me, the 16 tuners will be nice, especially now I can see what my kids are watching(or if they are still awake watching tv after I put them to bed) with the H3. For some, the 722 is plenty as well. Just different technology options which is good to have, but with it all being the same price, and in some cases cheaper, it's nice to have.

I don't believe we'll be upgrading either. It's not so much about tuners or recording ability. The content offered for programming just doesn't interest us like it used to. It would be like having a sports car with only dusty dirt roads to drive on, at least for me.

The 2 hoppers for twice the storage makes sense. Another plus is the chances of both hoppers biting the dust at the same time are minimal.

The HWS/SJ or two HWS is still a viable solution. For me, the 16 tuners will be nice, especially now I can see what my kids are watching(or if they are still awake watching tv after I put them to bed) with the H3. .
You can do this on a H2K and HWS as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If you have 2 hoppers sure that's Different, but if you Have a Hopper with a SuperJoey, it's no different then a Hopper 3.

You're right, but that is where the 16 tuners comes in. Same price and more abilities. I was never a fan of the SJ personally, although a great alternative for those that it works for.

I don't need 16 tuners and don't want another 2 year contract. Two Hoppers are good enough for me. And then there's the redundancy thing. I had a couple of Hoppers go bad last year. Hopper 3 goes out and you are hard down till the replacement arrives.

I had a taste of the new Carbon UI yesterday. It went away today. To me when the Hoppers are all updated, it will be like having a new one.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You're right, but that is where the 16 tuners comes in. Same price and more abilities. I was never a fan of the SJ personally, although a great alternative for those that it works for.
I'm not Upgrading for the simple reason, it's not financially feasible to spend $150 + and sign another 24 month commitment when I really don't have many recording conflicts as of now anyway.
Plus I really don't want a Single receiver operating my 6 room system.

I like what I have now.
We have a Hopper issue, We can still use the other, and my Mom can still use her 211s.

I don't see Dish Giving me 3 Joeys and a H3 for $150 anyway.

I'll just wait until it's near the end of my commitment.
Then re-evaluate.

Reactions: ChadT41
I'm not Upgrading for the simple reason, it's not financially feasible to spend $150 + and sign another 24 month commitment when I really don't have many recording conflicts as of now anyway.
Plus I really don't want a Single receiver operating my 6 room system.

I like what I have now.
We have a Hopper issue, We can still use the other, and my Mom can still use her 211s.

I don't see Dish Giving me 3 Joeys and a H3 for $150 anyway.

I'll just wait until it's near the end of my commitment.
Then re-evaluate.

Perfectly viable. For some it works, for others the new equipment is great.

I liked the new Carbon UI. Like I stated earlier, when the dust settles and it is installed on my Hoppers, it will be like having a new one. And I'm sure there will be a lot of good stuff yet to come. And no new commitment.

I liked the new Carbon UI. Like I stated earlier, when the dust settles and it is installed on my Hoppers, it will be like having a new one. And I'm sure there will be a lot of good stuff yet to come. And no new commitment.
Well I just did a Dish Depot Estimate, and I can buy a set of 4 truck Tires for what this Hopper 3 setup is going to cost me.
So I'm good where I am.

Anyone know how much to break a contract actually costs?
$240
$40 less then a Hopper 3

And why would anyone spend $280 on a Hopper 3 to unsubscribe from Dish.

The Hobbiests, YES I understand the expense, and the wanting to install your own equipment .
I get that , and I'm with yous 100%

But the guys waiving around the no contract bit, Com'on !

Reactions: dare2be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)