Thinking of setting up a BUD but have some questions

SkySurfer80

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
Ok here it is. I am thinking of getting a BUD. I had one back years ago. The radio station here has some not in use and I was wondering if it is worth it for what I am looking for.

I currently have a 90cm ku dish scanning 87 to 125.

Here are my questions.

1. How many wild feeds or live news or sports feeds are still up there ITC? Are there as many wild feeds on c band as there are nowdays on KU?

2. Are the NFL games still ITC on the 107.3* bird as it was years ago?

My only needs are wild satellite feeds like news or sports/tv shows. I dont need any 24/7 stuff. Just wild feeds and sports feeds.

With this being my only need is it worth the time and effort to add a 8 to 12 ft BUD to my yard?

Thanks

Is BUD legal in your state?

;)

Answers should be interesting, as my general impression is, it's a dying hobby. And about to get worse, with part of C band being reallocated.

BUDs legal in your state??? What state has banned C-band dishes?

What part of C-band is being given away? Please provide a link.

Dying??? Maybe slowing due to disinterest by hobbyists or the plethora of content readily available via Internet.

Please set me up a round of whatever you are drinking... LOL

1. Majority of sporting feed backhaul are via fiber from the venus. Some sports backhaul via satellite, but mostly used for distribution, not collection.

News (ENG) typically use terrestrial collection and KU satellite is rarely used for collection in areas with poor terrestrial options.

2. Yes, many of the NFL games are available on the Canadian bird. Often they are games that are not carried on the US networks.

There are not as many CTV affiliates as there used to be. Maybe 4 games on a NFL Sunday. Winnipeg is gone which used to have its own game by itself most weekends. Thursday and Sunday night games last year were on CTV2 Vancouver.

Most (99%) of the news feeds are on ku.

Yes, it's worth it. Not nearly as many sports feeds compared to 5 to 10 years ago but still worth it to have a Cband dish. Get the biggest you can afford and have room. 16apsk which FOX and ESPN use alot now need a 10 ft dish.

Sent from my VS995 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Is BUD legal in your state?

;)

Answers should be interesting, as my general impression is, it's a dying hobby. And about to get worse, with part of C band being reallocated.
Wow. Are you looking for a debate or reactions? I don't think this forum is for ya. :)

I was making a joking reference to some states legalizing marijuana. Hence the wink.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

One of these “Ask the Lawyer” type of articles was in our local,paper this weekend. The lawyer answered a question about HOA restrictions and stated the FCC “Over The Air Receiving Devices (OTARD) Rule” protects the right of residents to have satellite dishes not more than one meter. Is he correct? I thought the FCC didn’t restrict the size of the dish.

To state the obvious... No North American C-band downlink frequencies have been shared or reallocated. I was only challenging an untrue statement.

The US broadcasting industry lobbying groups have pushed back hard against this proposal and it appears extremely unlikely that the 3.7 - 4.2GHz range will be shared. There are proposals that the 3.7 - 3.9GHz range be shared, but even that looks doomed at this point. The band below 3.7GHz is and has been shared with terrestrial services for many years.

With this being my only need is it worth the time and effort to add a 8 to 12 ft BUD to my yard?
Like many hobbies, I enjoyed the process of installing my BUDs. (not just the end result).

I'd say get at least a 10'. My 8.5' Birdview is not quite enough to bring in the weaker signals.

I rarely watch C-Band TV these days. So I converted my 10' Unimesh to a weather satellite reception station, and wrote software to receive and process weather images.

One of these “Ask the Lawyer” type of articles was in our local,paper this weekend. The lawyer answered a question about HOA restrictions and stated the FCC “Over The Air Receiving Devices (OTARD) Rule” protects the right of residents to have satellite dishes not more than one meter. Is he correct? I thought the FCC didn’t restrict the size of the dish.
My reading of what you posted above is that the FCC does not restrict the size of the dish, but others such as HOA and maybe local zonings can restrict it, but the FCC OTARD rule guarantees that they can't restrict any dish up to 1 meter. In other words they can't restrict the typical Dish Network/DirecTV dishes, as well as the typical Ku FTA dish. But the HOA can restrict the installation of a BUD, which is unfortunate but somewhat understandable.

Well I mean tonight I'll be watching the 2019 MLS All-Star Game in 4K HDR HEVC @ 65 Mbps and then a Tenacious D concert in 4K 3D 4:2:2 10 bit @ 55 Mbps after having watched some nice documentaries about Japan on NHK World HD @ 58W and a documentary about female wrestlers in Senegal on CGTN Documentary HD @ 55W all on C-band so it still seems pretty lively up there to me *shrug*

Good luck watching high bitrate 4K HDR sports games and 4K 3D concerts on whatever garbage Comcast and the like is pushing out on their wires these days... LOL

To state the obvious... No North American C-band downlink frequencies have been shared or reallocated. I was only challenging an untrue statement.

The US broadcasting industry lobbying groups have pushed back hard against this proposal and it appears extremely unlikely that the 3.7 - 4.2GHz range will be shared. There are proposals that the 3.7 - 3.9GHz range be shared, but even that looks doomed at this point. The band below 3.7GHz is and has been shared with terrestrial services for many years.

I hope you are right. A lot of us in the broadcasting industry are not as optimistic though. The 5g guys have a lot of cash to wave, and most of us broadcasters are not as flush with cash.

Wow. Ricks site has a whole bunch of articles the other way. I figured at least 10 transponders on each satellite. Hopefully more satellites take up,the slack. They want to commit money to build fiber and take everything off satellite eventually.

Is part of the band used in the South America?

The cable operators lobby group have submitted a proposal for a shared portion. This group is a small segment of the industry and is not a strong lobby group.

In my opinion, a 200MHz C-band downlink reallocation would barely cause a ripple in offered services. There is significant excess bandwidth that goes unused on the majority of satellites. Cable headend in the sky would need to be shuffled, but the majority of satellites have plenty of empty bandwidth. If anything, reduced bandwidth would likely only result in increased linkbudget costs.

Reactions: MikeI

Well that is certainly good news!