Thinking Of Switching Careers, Need Advice

springers

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Hazleton, PA
Hello All,

I am current working for a triple play provider and thinking next year to move on and start a new career. The position I am currently in is back office function. I have knowledge of installing Cable, Telephone and Internet services.

I was looking to get certified with the SBCA but from reading some of the posts, some are saying it is a waste of money. There is a company in my area Halsted. Should I just apply with them and get on the job training or getting some type of certification and with my experience in the Telecom industry already will help?

I have already installed my own DTV system and a few of my family members. Also I have installed a couple of home networks.

Thanks for the advice.

SBCA seems to be a joke and waste of time from what all I've heard but it seems to do little to nothing as far as pay goes. Depending on who you work for you will either make an hourly pay rate or a per job rate and have to sign a contract and pay all your own taxes and try to find afordable health insurance plus buy all your own tools, vehicle, ladders, supplies and what not. Personaly I would go the route of working for a company that provides all of that and takes care of the insurance as I have a family and every benefit I can get is important to my families happiness and security.

Go over to the installer forum and do some more questioning over there as it has a fair amount of current and past installers from all area's actively posting there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts