Thinking of switching from AT&T to Cable for internet and phone- any input?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Which internet proivider would you choose?

• AT&T dsl

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Charter

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Comcast

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other( please list your choice)

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

detroit_fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
SE Michigan
I currently have AT&T for home phone and internet. My speed is only 500K so I am thinking about changing to cable for my phone and internet(TV is Directv). I have charter and comcast in my area, but not sure which is better? I have heard a ton of bad stuff about comcast online, but my parents have had them for over a decade and not had any issues. Have not heard much about charter.

Does anyone have any input as to which is a better company to go with? Looks like they will both be faster than AT&T, even if I upgrade my dsl to a faster speed.

For 20mbps internet and unlimited local/long distance in the US comcast wants $40/month for 12months, then it goes up to $60/month in year 2. Plus a $7/month modem rental fee.

AT&T is only .51mbps, and only local phone. They are charging about $65/month but I just got a notice that DSL is going up $5/month for all customers, so that puts me at about $70/month.

So I can switch to comcast and get it for cheaper, have long distance and increase my internet speed by almost 40 times faster. This sounds great but i am terrified with all the bad things i hear about comcast.

I asked what would happen in year 3 and he told me it would stay at $60/month as long as i pay my bills on time

Anyone switch from AT&T to one of these? If so are you glad you did?

I have had zero issues with Comcast since I switched back to them. I have their internet and phone service and it has never gone out (a HUGE impromevent from when I had them a few years back). I doubt you could get both Charter and Comcast at the same location so I would go to their websites and input your address.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I doubt you can pick between charter or Comcast, only one will have service at your house. Fwiw, i just signed up for Comcast internet, its sweet. I tried through ATT, but it was two weeks out. Comcast had me up and running the same day, but only because I did a self install with a modem I had floating around the garage a few years. Otherwise it would have been installed the next day. $30 intro price and speed tests 22 megs down, 2 up.

thanks for the replies. the comcast rep was here yesterday, so i know i can get them. i also get weekly offers from charter in the mail and after putting my address into their website it shows me the offers they have, so i'm almost positive i could get either one.

the comcast rep that was here yesterday said i had to rent modem from them if i did the phone service, but not if i just did the internet? is that true or can i buy a modem that will work with thier service? if i can buy one any suggestions on which one?

called at&t, fastest dsl in my area is 1.5mbps, way too slow imo

called charter, and yes both charter and comcast are available in my house.

charter wants $60/month for 30mbps and unlimited nationwide calling. no modem fee and that is a lifetime price, not just a promotional deal.

comcast wants $47/month year 1 and $67/month year 2 for 20mbps and nationwide calling.

seems like charter is the better deal. anyone have any experience with charter? good company?

Charter is great for internet but there phone service sucks and in would go with dish or direct for tv imo :)i have charter for internet and phone and phone sucks keep going out in middle of night and sometimes during day.im considering switching phone back to at&t :)

Charter is great for internet but there phone service sucks and in would go with dish or direct for tv imo :)i have charter for internet and phone and phone sucks keep going out in middle of night and sometimes during day.im considering switching phone back to at&t :)

yeah i plan to keep directv, i love them. you are the second person to tell me that charter phone is bad, makes me a little nervous.

thank you all for the advice/input. i just got off the phone with charter and ordered their service. $60/month for unlimited phone and 30mbps. I was told this was a "lifetime promotion", meaning the price will not increase unless i change the service. there is no contract so even if it's a disaster i can always switch back or give comcast a try. really looking forward to increasing my internet speed by 60x (currently .5mbps)

called at&t, fastest dsl in my area is 1.5mbps, way too slow imo

called charter, and yes both charter and comcast are available in my house.

charter wants $60/month for 30mbps and unlimited nationwide calling. no modem fee and that is a lifetime price, not just a promotional deal.

comcast wants $47/month year 1 and $67/month year 2 for 20mbps and nationwide calling.

seems like charter is the better deal. anyone have any experience with charter? good company?

That seems strange, that your house is within range of TWO cable co's but the phone company DSL is just 1.5? DSL is available pretty much everywhere around here now, but it's faster in town.

I think you will be happy. I switched from AT&T dsl/phone to Charter Internet/cell at 15mps about 3 years ago. Price is cheaper as I always had the cell and the performance/uptime has been far better.

I made this switch a few months ago, from AT&T DSL at 3.0 for $45 to Charter 15.0 for $20. That's a promotional rate, of course, but even the regular price is cheaper than AT&T and more than 5 times the speed in practice. The service has been tremendous, from scheduling through install.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts