Thinking of switching from Comcast

Fobulous

Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
MO City,Texas USA
I'm really thinking of switching to Dish because of lack of HD channels with my Comcast Cable..

With comcast i get:

Local HD Channels,TNTHD, Premium Movie HD channels,DiscoveryHD,INHD1 &2.

I see that DISh offers 4 type of HD Plans from bonze to platinum. Does Bronze include all the HD Channels?

Also will Dish gives out the Reciever without the hefty $200 like two or three years ago?

I do have a huge antenna in the attic and i believe i can just hook this up with the HD receiver to get our Local HD channels.

THanks all! :)

Fobulous said:
I'm really thinking of switching to Dish because of lack of HD channels with my Comcast Cable..

With comcast i get:

Local HD Channels,TNTHD, Premium Movie HD channels,DiscoveryHD,INHD1 &2.

I see that DISh offers 4 type of HD Plans from bonze to platinum. Does Bronze include all the HD Channels?
Bronze includes all HD channels except Premium Movie Channels and National Geographic HD. To get NGHD you need the Gold Package. To get the Premiums in HD, you must subscribe to the SD version.

Fobulous said:
Also will Dish gives out the Reciever without the hefty $200 like two or three years ago?
It's about $100 now.

Fobulous said:
I do have a huge antenna in the attic and i believe i can just hook this up with the HD receiver to get our Local HD channels.
Possibly, if your digitals are UHF and the antenna is VHF depending on distance, it might or might not work.

I'm also thinking about switching. I just found out that my appartment will allow me to set up a dish at the end of my building. I looked at all the details on dishnetwork.com and the current "$20 per month for 10 months" discount is really nice. The online price is $199.99 for the box and a $49.99. I had dish a few years ago before I moved and everything was free when I signed up. Where can I get the box for $100 and can I have the $49.99 setup fee waived? thanks

If the over the air tuner will work, this will be better than perfect compared to I'm paying for comcast. But, either way, I'm willing to sacrifice locals in HD if I have to.

EDIT: Well, nevermind. I just called the appartment complex, and a new policy has went into effect. I can only get dish/directv if I have a patio, and we don't; we have a sunroom. That really frustrates me because comcast is straight from the pits of hell.

Last edited:
So basically, with Dish, i would have to connect my antenna to the HD receiver and hope that my current antenna is the right one?

I noticed on dish's home page they are offering $10 for installing equipt for local HD channels what exactly does that mean? are they installing an extra antenna out on the roof?

In addition, it is true that for $200, one can get HD Tivo?

thanks again!

Fobulous said:
So basically, with Dish, i would have to connect my antenna to the HD receiver and hope that my current antenna is the right one?

I noticed on dish's home page they are offering $10 for installing equipt for local HD channels what exactly does that mean? are they installing an extra antenna out on the roof?

In addition, it is true that for $200, one can get HD Tivo?

thanks again!

HD locals via antenna are broadcast in the same manner as analog locals, just in a digital format viewable only to ATSC tuners. So, your current antenna should work just fine if it was receiving your local analog channels with it right now. Most HD OTA locals are broadcast right now on the UHF channel band (channels 14-69). So make sure your antenna can recieve any current UHF channels good right now, and it should work just fine.

The HDTivo is currently only available as a Directv HD DVR. It will also record your local channels from antenna, but that's about it. No way to record from cable or other sources besides D* or OTA. The price you mentioned looks about right.

Those of you considering switching and are first-time Dish subscribers, you can get a special deal an discount if you get a referral code from a Club Dish member. Here are the details, Please PM me for a code if you are interested:

THIS SPECIAL GIFT CERTIFICATE ENTITLES YOUR FRIEND TO DISH NETWORK SATELLITE TV FOR THE WHOLE HOUSE (UP TO 4 ROOMS) WITH DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE INCLUDING:

* FREE Activation (a $49.99 value)
* $100 back with America's Top 120 or higher programming
* STARZ Movie Pack FREE for the first 3 months

Important

* System must be installed and programming activated by:01/01/2007
* Requires valid major credit card, Social Security Number and qualifying programming purchase. Participation subject to credit approval.
* Qualifying programming purchase starts at just $34.99/month, including local channels (where available). If service is terminated or downgraded, equipment must be returned to DISH Network. Certain receivers must be continuously connected to a phone line or will be subject to an additional monthly fee.
* Programming offer requires participation in Digital Home Advantage. If you choose to change your programming, you must call at the end of the 3-month period to downgrade to other qualifying programming.
* DISH Network DVR Service fee varies based on programming subscription level.
* This ClubDISH certificate good for new, first-time residential DISH Network customers only.
* Additional restrictions apply for Alaska, Puerto Rico and Hawaii.
* Visit www.dishnetwork.com for programming options and disclaimers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)